User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #1
fawudd OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 106
R100GS dual headlight

I have been searching without success for a dual headlight conversion for my GSPD. I know that Touratech used to have one, but are there any current sources in the US or Europe ? I am considering some type of a home brew dual LED, but that is a last resort, I actually prefer the period item.

Ps: if you have a source for a used one, I am up for that as well.

fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Twin headlight Ernie
bar napkin engineering

Oddometer: 1,385
Headlight

I have the dual headlight setup on my GS and found the end result to be disappointing. No real noticable improvement in lighting. The only advantage I found was that if a headlight burned out that you had a spare to get home on. It was very expensive and took longer to install than I expected it would. If I were to do it over I would make my own from scratch. I think the money would be much better spent on auxiliary lighting instead. That's my 2 cents. 2HE

My Smugmug:
http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com/

Dakota Motorsports
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
I've been thinking of adapting this Twin Headlight but I've not been able to get any information on width or height, though I don't think the depth would be a problem. The headlight mount lends itself to a relatively straightforward adaptation. At $150 the price is reasonable if it is any good.

MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawudd View Post
I have been searching without success for a dual headlight conversion for my GSPD. I know that Touratech used to have one, but are there any current sources in the US or Europe ? I am considering some type of a home brew dual LED, but that is a last resort, I actually prefer the period item.

Ps: if you have a source for a used one, I am up for that as well.
I've had the Touratech twin light for 10 yrs now. I'm happy with it, looks good, decent light output. If I ever get a burned out light however, I'm not sure what I's do, as it's a sealed beam setup. Luckily I've kept the old light.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
SWT has them http://translate.google.co.nz/transl...36%26bih%3D710
Not sure if they are the same as the TT ones but I assume they will be
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
The TT one of old was a 2x 35W version, which was crap. The SWT one is H4+H7 so that's better already...

Mat from BMWBoxerToko said he could have a batch of 2x H4 ones made, though he's reluctant to sell them as they're such a tight squeeze that he's had heaps of complaints that they don't fit...

I'm still tempted to get one, even though I've just had the whole PD fairing apart and that's not necessarily something I really want to do again so soon.
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #7
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,064

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
SWT has them http://translate.google.co.nz/transl...36%26bih%3D710
Not sure if they are the same as the TT ones but I assume they will be
This is what you mean --> http://www.swt-sports.de/de/Elektrik...-/-80-GS-ab-Bj right? I think I'll save $200 and make one. Really doesn't look hard at all.

And where are these from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
And where are these from?
Judging by the sticker on the screen, also SWT. :-)

As discussed elsewhere with the SWT guy though, those were a one-off custom job and quite spensive...
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
your bike looks stoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Rob Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,064
Not my bike. I found these (from memory) and others, slightly below the surface on the SWT blog some months ago.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 03:10 PM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
fawudd OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
I've been thinking of adapting this Twin Headlight but I've not been able to get any information on width or height, though I don't think the depth would be a problem. The headlight mount lends itself to a relatively straightforward adaptation. At $150 the price is reasonable if it is any good.

This looks promising, and a lot less expensive than 260 before shipping! If I am going to craft something though, it seems like the lower draw and better lighting of LED might be the way to go. The quest continues....

fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,938
I've given this some thought over the years...
One could get a projector beam bulb and lens from a crashed car, or two of those

And fab up a plate that would recive them and bolt to the roo bar,

Done right you'd be able to aim the lights as well.
Slap in a relay and wire it to the battery and use the handle bar switch from eurolandia and you'd be on your way.

The drawback is the somewhat more narrow focus of the projector beam over a nice well designed parabola and lens.

Also you don't really have a high beam. But it would also cure the silly german prone to self destruct headlight mounting and adjusting system that comes with the bikes stock.

Or, just fab some ABS over the old headlight hole and bolt up a big old round Baja style headlight.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #14
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

The mounting design of the original headlight really lends itself quite well to fabricating something to take the place of the original. Basically you've got a large, flat plat that attaches with two screws at the top and one at the bottom. I cannot imagine that it would be hard to pick out a wide angle low beam and a narrow angle high beam off of a site like the one I referenced earlier. They could be mounted quite easily into a piece of sheet metal then attached to the stock, plastic frame using the exact same hardware as the original.

In fact, it sounds so straightforward (not the same thing as easy) that I'm going to give it a try once I get my PD fairing onto my '89 GS. I'm about done, just sourcing some screws and such to get it all put together.

Anyone know where I can get an OEM style headlight guard?

P.S. What is that little light inside the PD headlight? My GS bubble had one too but it never came on. I assume it was burned out. When does the little light come on?
Old 04-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,179
Quote:
The mounting design of the original headlight really lends itself quite well to fabricating something to take the place of the original. Basically you've got a large, flat plat that attaches with two screws at the top and one at the bottom. I cannot imagine that it would be hard to pick out a wide angle low beam and a narrow angle high beam off of a site like the one I referenced earlier. They could be mounted quite easily into a piece of sheet metal then attached to the stock, plastic frame using the exact same hardware as the original.

In fact, it sounds so straightforward (not the same thing as easy) that I'm going to give it a try once I get my PD fairing onto my '89 GS. I'm about done, just sourcing some screws and such to get it all put together.

Anyone know where I can get an OEM style headlight guard?

P.S. What is that little light inside the PD headlight? My GS bubble had one too but it never came on. I assume it was burned out. When does the little light come on?
That little light is a running light. Provides minimal signal illumination while the headlight isnt on, for whatever thats worth, as per DOT and EU standards or in my case its for providing a nice 12v signal wire

I've used the TT headlight thing for many years. It can only take 35w lamp or melt, so thats a small drawback, but fitting an H4 is not a problem.

I actually got some HID's and fitted them into the thing, but one blew out pretty soon, and there was a lot of ballast and extra cap, so I put one halogen back in.

ANyway, when the whole thing goes south Im putting in some of the new Rally LEd's. Rigid 4x4's or whatever- they're supposed to be very robust, very very bright, not a lot of draw, and nice and square shaped for easy installs.