User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
seasider OP
Just a rider

Oddometer: 371
88 GS Exhaust

Recently purchased an 88 Bumble Bee that came equiped with a full stainless Super Trapp system made specifically for the bike. Fits perfect.
Being completely new to airhead ownership and characteristics (Super Trapp as well) I am learning as I go but have made up my mind that the exhaust is louder than I prefer for my local joy rides on this baby.
Any suggestions for a replacement silencer or even entire system? Mine currently offered in the FM parts section for trade.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971924

For the record I have looked at the use of a stock silencer (Thanks Stagehand I will get it back to you) but too much mod to make it happen off the Super Trapp 2-1/8" OD two into one y pipe if that is to stay.

I appreciate any help this forum can bring.
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 647
I have Keihan on both my 80GS and G/S, they are replicas of the original systems although the collector box on the GS system is replaced with a Y piece which some people say changes the power characteristics slightly, I hardly notice the difference. They have a slightly different note to the standard system but come with a 10 year guarantee and can be polished to look as good as new when they tarnish. I have had them on my bikes for over 10 years and would recommend them.

http://www.keihan.co.uk/catalogue.html

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:32 AM   #3
seasider OP
Just a rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manley View Post
I have Keihan on both my 80GS and G/S, they are replicas of the original systems although the collector box on the GS system is replaced with a Y piece which some people say changes the power characteristics slightly, I hardly notice the difference. They have a slightly different note to the standard system but come with a 10 year guarantee and can be polished to look as good as new when they tarnish. I have had them on my bikes for over 10 years and would recommend them.

http://www.keihan.co.uk/catalogue.html
Mark, very helpful thanks! Do you know from experience if I could get by with rhe silencer and Y pipe connecting up to my standard exhaust?
I will check with them as well. This is a great start. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #4
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 647
All parts are interchangeable with the standard system, I mixed them together on mine before replacing the entire system but whether they are with a Supertrapp system is a different matter, I would check with Keihan first.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:35 AM   #5
seasider OP
Just a rider

Y pipe ordered and waiting fot the June batch of silencers. Thanks again
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
Y pipe ordered and waiting fot the June batch of silencers. Thanks again
Does Keihan have a US distributor or is it being shipped from the UK? How much was shipping?
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
Recently purchased an 88 Bumble Bee that came equiped with a full stainless Super Trapp system made specifically for the bike. Fits perfect.
Being completely new to airhead ownership and characteristics (Super Trapp as well) I am learning as I go but have made up my mind that the exhaust is louder than I prefer for my local joy rides on this baby.
Any suggestions for a replacement silencer or even entire system? Mine currently offered in the FM parts section for trade.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971924

For the record I have looked at the use of a stock silencer (Thanks Stagehand I will get it back to you) but too much mod to make it happen off the Super Trapp 2-1/8" OD two into one y pipe if that is to stay.

I appreciate any help this forum can bring.
Thanks.
Too loud...is the internal baffle still in the end of the muffler? It's held in by a set screw.

If you have a complete Staintune, I have an excellent stock GS system for trade.
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,015
The supertrapp can be made quieter by removing some of the discs and repacking the muffler. Mine came with six discs and it's now down to three. It's much quieter, though not as quiet as the stock system. But it is acceptable.

I've been told by a few of the airhead experts that I should ditch the supertrapp and get a stock system or one of the close reproductions, like Keihan and it'll run much better. But I have no complaints with power, only poor fuel mileage.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:17 AM   #9
seasider OP
Just a rider

The bike runs great with the super trapp but I am just looking for stock for more relaxed cruising. Power wise I wouldnt know the difference as this is the only airhead I have ever owned and ridden..........I like it
Old 04-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
The supertrapp can be made quieter by removing some of the discs and repacking the muffler. Mine came with six discs and it's now down to three. But I have no complaints with power, only poor fuel mileage.
3 discs...what size Supertrapp? I have a thread here about my R65, as you can see, I do a bit of playing around with exhausts.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791030

On my open road commute I'm mostly sitting on 4,000 to 4,500rpm, that obviously shows up the hole in the bottom end, and increased fuel economy. I don't have to rejet with the Supertrapp, and retain good power and economy. currently on 7 discs, I'll be on 6 next tank of fuel. It's noisy, but quieter than the short megas, which everyone seems to like.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote