User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Big Bamboo OP
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,657
BING Alcohol Proof Floats

A friend here on the island just bought a 1993 R100GS with the alcohol proof float kit. I understand there are early and late versions of these. The early ones had a tendency to stick and were modified into the newer version. My question is this; is there a way to distinguish between the two? Someone here mentioned a fix for their lack of an overflow vent as well. Any clues as to how that was accomplished? Thanks!
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 AM   #2
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
I understand there are early and late versions of these. The early ones had a tendency to stick and were modified into the newer version.
These are the new style with the corners lopped off:

The old/original style were complete cubic rectangles, and it is the outer corners that will hang on the sides of the bowl when filling from dry.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
moosehead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
There was a suggested way of adding an overflow tube these alcohol proof systems over in Boxerworks a while ago.

Search "alcohol proof" in 1970 section....idea came from PITApan thread....

I haven't done it yet but seems like a simple solution. The idea of no overflow bugs me about this system from Bing...rather have gas on the ground rather than in the cylinder

This is the link to the thread over on Boxerworks I think......

http://forum.boxerworks.com/viewtopi...l+proof#p85347
Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
Big Bamboo OP
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,657
Thanks, that will work!
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,020
I thought Bing was now making 'alcohol' proof floats designed the same as the originals? That would solve the problem that doesn't exist from what I have seen and save you from buying a new float bowl that doesn't have an overflow when you really don't need one to start with?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,992
There was another float made of material more resistant to the alcohol in fuel. Bing did make it 10 or 20 years ago. They don't make it anymore. At least that is what I was told a year ago when I asked about this.

Bing recommends the APK with two floats per float bowl. They also say they have never had any problems with this design. Many riders agree with them, others disagree.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
There was another float made of material more resistant to the alcohol in fuel. Bing did make it 10 or 20 years ago. They don't make it anymore. At least that is what I was told a year ago when I asked about this.

Bing recommends the APK with two floats per float bowl. They also say they have never had any problems with this design. Many riders agree with them, others disagree.
Bing USA says a lot of things that just are not so. They know they changed the design of those floats for a reason. The same basic design in some Mikuni's give a lot of trouble too. Not having trouble is one thing. I have seen that too but not seeing any trouble with them as a whole? That involves not looking.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,010
Having used the older style floats since circa 1991, my experience has been that the corners don't stick. What will cause the floats to stick is friction from varnish and buildup on the central pin these floats slide on. I found using some Brasso (the older style that had to be in a metal can) and pipe cleaners smoothed the floats internal brass tube. Some Brasso on a cotton swab cleaned up the brass pin.

The original Bing float bowl has a redundant vent with the carb body vent. The independent float bowl has no separate vent. I have never had a problem with the float vent clogging on the carburetor body. YMMV.

Edit: for the google impaired, here is snowbums article on Bing independent floats: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/bingindependent.htm

Stan_R80/7 screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 05:42 PM Reason: added link
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
supershaft
because I can

Redundant vent? That's an overflow.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
The original Bing float bowl has a redundant vent with the carb body vent. The independent float bowl has no separate vent.
I think you're confusing the purpose of the float bowl tube - it's not a vent, though it will act as one, but an over-flow pipe. Should the float hang up allowing the needle to stick open, fuel will continue to flow into the carb. When that happens, it can flow into the engine, diluting the oil, and possibly cause hydraulic lock during start up that can bend a rod. The over-flow pipe will direct the fuel out of the carb onto the ground rather than into the engine.

I've looked at these independent float bowls and it seems fairly simple to drill for a vent, heat the bowl to expand the aluminum and press in a brass tube.

Just because you personally haven't had a problem with this design doesn't mean it isn't possible. Perhaps your bike has a very clean tank and no crap in the fuel. Things change. Others have had problems with fuel not shutting off, and the independent floats don't exert more pressure on the float valve than the original style. To think that the independents are superior in that regard rendering that scenario impossible is wishful thinking.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,010
Obviously, some believe the Bing independent float design is flawed. I have not found that to be the case. Fuel flows notably from the carburetor vent if the floats are stuck with the independent kit. That is from personal experience not from speculation or hearsay.

The carb float bowl tube can function as a vent or overflow. The vent on the carburetor body can function similarly. I see that as redundancy. Not that redundancy is bad, the Navy likes redundancy.

I don't see a problem with the independent float design - other than no redundancy. However if someone doesn't shut off their fuel petcocks, the lack of a float bowl vent could cause serious problems. But, those same problems could occur even with both vents/overflow working.

Bing has been selling these kits for their carburetors since the mid 1980's. I happen to be one of their satisfied customers. Although, when the floats sink or the bowls crack it is unlikely the independent floats will be replaced. IMO, the benefits are more likely suited to light aircraft than airheads. Again, YMMV.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,992
Nicely put Stan.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote