Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #556
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,743
Just to be clear about the "pin numbers"...that original table was taken from the /6 era bikes that had this big rubber connector at the back of the speedo/tach assemblies. Those numbers refer to the pin numbers here:'

Regardless, the color-coding of the wires has been standard, even if the wiring diagrams changed over the years. The colors are a European DIN scheme (VW< BMW
Old 04-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #557
pigneguy
dodo

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Just to be clear about the "pin numbers"...that original table was taken from the /6 era bikes that had this big rubber connector at the back of the speedo/tach assemblies. Those numbers refer to the pin numbers here:'

Regardless, the color-coding of the wires has been standard, even if the wiring diagrams changed over the years. The colors are a European DIN scheme (VW< BMW

yep...this is the box i was referring to re: pin # ..... we've copied your wiring into this box...no go..... at the very least to get the bike started connected to the acewell ....we reckon we need to sort out the ground (black), the neutral (purple) and the switch key (red).... without these 3 in the right pin boxes we're going nowhere....would that be correct ?
(Apologies for dimwittedness)

pigneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #558
pigneguy
dodo

i gave up on the digital and reconnected the original .... now bike won't start up. Ouch ! Any ideas guys ?
Old 04-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #559
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigneguy View Post
i gave up on the digital and reconnected the original .... now bike won't start up. Ouch ! Any ideas guys ?

First, does it do anything? Lights? Clicks? Silence?

Second, if you can't return it and want to sell it, I'm interested.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #560
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:

Need to know more: does it turn over but not start? ....does it just click? does it do nothing?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #561
Whiteguyphil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Mine won't start either

IMG_3710

My gauge arrived Friday

Should I start it now or wait for the other sections of my bike to come together?

1977 BMW R100/7T USA - Gilda
Whiteguyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #562
pigneguy
dodo

no worries, it's cool. Fires up ! Dimwittedness on my part. Thanks guys.
I'll get the Acewell installed by someone more qualified than I.... i'm totally stumped with electrics.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #563
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,413
Quote:
no worries, it's cool. Fires up ! Dimwittedness on my part. Thanks guys.
I'll get the Acewell installed by someone more qualified than I.... i'm totally stumped with electrics.
No, really. Sell it to me at a huge loss.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #564
Whiteguyphil
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Step one done!

Finally, a little progress done other than cleaning

- I was able to align the stock grounds with the gauge grounds and still have the plugs positioned behind the regulator like I wanted.
- Tucked the fuel gauge leads into the loom.
- Ran the un-switched hot to the starter relay for the clock
- Used the additional gauge light for my brake failure light. Had to run a switched hot to the MC cap, then attach the purple gauge wire to the cap's other plug. The gauge requires a + circuit, not the stock grounded switch
- Cannibalized my broken right controls for wires for the blinker indicator lights which will plug into the circuit board and have matching wire colors.
- Chose to use a resistor, mounted beneath the fuel tank (it gets too warm for comfort to install it in the light bucket) and LED to mount in the small hole in the bucket for the charging light.
- Prayed all my soldered connections are solid and that I will not have any gremlins when I get it all together

IMG_1784IMG_1793

IMG_1780IMG_1782
IMG_1790IMG_1788

Whiteguyphil screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 09:54 AM Reason: grammer, spelling
Old 04-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #565
cjbecker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
What size resister did you use?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #566
Whiteguyphil
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
What size resister did you use?
5w 47 ohm, Snowbum has an article on this. A bit wordy, but too much knowledge is better than too little...

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/genlampresistor.htm

Old 04-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #567
cjbecker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Are you having any problems with it getting too hot?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #568
Whiteguyphil
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I did a bench test, attaching it to the battery and the led to the battery, it got pretty hot to the touch, so I figured that putting it in the light bucket would not be a good idea with the heat of the light bulb. My bike is still in pieces, so I don't know what it will do when I get it together. The resister will only have current flow when the charging system is not working, so overheating should not be an issue, but having it mounted in an area with more airflow will help dissipate the heat generated.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #569
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:

Resistors are, by definition, going to get hot .... Resistance generates energy, some of which is light, some of which is heat... tha's how an incandescent light bulb works, generating light, and that's how a resistor works, using the electrical energy to produce.....HEAT!

5 watts is a measure of resistance and/or heat.... not much in the grand scheme of things (compared to the 60 watts of headlight filament, anyway!)....

The reality is: putting a 5 watt resistor in line/parallel with an LED does absolutely nothing to save energy! Why not just use the incandescent bulb??? (well, admittedly, the LED has a far longer lifespan in terms of hours, but wtf, how often does that little incandescent burn out...really?)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #570
Whiteguyphil
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Why not just use the incandescent bulb??? (well, admittedly, the LED has a far longer lifespan in terms of hours, but wtf, how often does that little incandescent burn out...really?)
A mix of laziness, impatience and form over function

I was already at radioshack, they had an led and the resistor , or I could go to NAPA 20 minutes away and get the incandescent , or order one online and wait for it.
Plus I could not find an incandescent small enough to fit in that small hole on the head light bucket near the ignition switch...