ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #4651
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,940
Nice rider! Great thing to do.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5213484.html

"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #4652
MotoNerd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
May 1, 2014 Day Ride

Hello all!! Weather is looking like it is going to be the best of the year so far on May 1. Is there anyone who is off work (or wants to play hookie) and wants to go for a day ride??

I was thinking something along the line of Palouse Falls, Hell's Canyon (Rattlesnake Grade) or up into Canada.. Always up for input.

If so, PM me, or email me at robert.dickinson@live.com.

- MotoChris
Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #4653
Dr. Hemlock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNerd View Post
...on May 1. Is there anyone who is off work (or wants to play hookie) and wants to go for a day ride??...
Dang! I would be up for it if we weren't having guests from Seattle. Maybe next time.
Dr. Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #4654
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
If you get a route together and let me know the details, I'm probably free that day. Depends on if I get over this "cold" (Think it's strep throat).
Old 04-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #4655
Road2Adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlandbill View Post
I'm leaving Port Townsend for vacation the last ten days in May. I'll be in Tonasket for two days, near Kettle Falls for two days, then down to the Palouse. I'm looking for some points of interest, nothing to wild since it's just going to be me. Any thoughts or "must see" spots?
What kind of riding are you looking at doing? Bike camping? Car Camping?

Lots of snow in the hills, most two track out as well around Fettle Falls. Often the first or second week in June before you can ride above the valleys.

Lots of good road riding in most places. Had snow last couple of days...... Columbia River will be down low....... Not as scenic as summer when full. Seldom full until July 4 weekend.

Beautiful time of year, to visit. everything green.......

Ride safe, Change gas often. jerry
Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 PM   #4656
chinook1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thanks for the invite emptimind (and all)! I think I'd like to join up with the inwbmw riders Saturday morning. That bakery is just a few blocks from my house and I am free all day for a ride. I've been trying to get some dirt practice, being a complete and utter newborn where the gravel begins. If a route with some non technical dirt could be figured out I'm in for sure. If not, I might take a spin up to Metaline Falls for a bacon cheesburger at Kathy's. So bad but so so good. Good twistys on both sides of the Pend Orielle River and up along Sullivan Lake.

Chinook1

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

2013 DL650A "You Break It, You Buy It"- Weld86 skidplate, SVRacing forkbrace
1982 CB750K
chinook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #4657
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Most of the rides I've taken with these folks are pretty easy going hard pack dirt summer roads. I'm still learning dirt on the pig I ride, but it doesn't take more than a few trips to get more confident. Don't worry about being too slow, just go your own pace. We'll wait at the next turn. I started at about 20 MPH and gripping my handlebars like my life depended on it. Then I realized the bike wants to stay upright, just like on pavement. Long as I plan my turns, I can relax.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #4658
chinook1
Adventurer

Yeah, I need to figure out how to get comfortable standing. Went out to 7mile orv area to do some drills, and ended up dropping my poor beast at subwalking pace.

I could NOT pick that thing up. It just kept pushing away in the soft sand! Totally humiliating! I'm a pretty strong guy, so i thought.

Nice guy came by and helped ("thats a big bike for out here"), but it made me realize I should never go off pavement alone. Hope to see you Saturday!

1982 CB750K
Old 04-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #4659
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Chinook, I'll have to teach you how to pick up the wee. I have had to do it more than any other street legal bike I've owned. Can do it without losing my breath now. Also, I find it much easier to keep it upright at higher speeds. It's too fat to be nimble at low speeds when you're not used to it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
Old 04-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #4660
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
There are a few different ways to pick up a motorcycle.

Below shows two of those ways. The first technique I've used many times. The second technique I just used last month when I dumped my bike on a loose sandy hill and it worked just fine. I was able to get the bike up and out of the way before other riders used me for a speed bump.

The demo above shows picking up a bike with sidebags which gives an advantage so I found another vid with a tiny gal picking up a bike laying flat.

If you have a desire to learn how to ride dirt with out doing it by the fall down and pick yourself and the bike up method. PSSOR has some awesome classes. A few years back I took one of the ADV Training Camps and what a blast it was.

Here's their schedule: http://pssor.com/pssor-courses

There is a dirt riding school in the Spokane area too: http://www.dirtbikeschool.org/ I haven't take this one so I can't comment on it other than training is always a good way to go.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #4661
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,940
Great timing and good reminder for everyone LB. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
There are a few different ways to pick up a motorcycle.

Below shows two of those ways. The first technique I've used many times. The second technique I just used last month when I dumped my bike on a loose sandy hill and it worked just fine. I was able to get the bike up and out of the way before other riders used me for a speed bump.

The demo above shows picking up a bike with sidebags which gives an advantage so I found another vid with a tiny gal picking up a bike laying flat.

If you have a desire to learn how to ride dirt with out doing it by the fall down and pick yourself and the bike up method. PSSOR has some awesome classes. A few years back I took one of the ADV Training Camps and what a blast it was.

Here's their schedule: http://pssor.com/pssor-courses

There is a dirt riding school in the Spokane area too: http://www.dirtbikeschool.org/ I haven't take this one so I can't comment on it other than training is always a good way to go.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #4662
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Second video is basically the method I use. Grab handbar grip, and fortunately for us, the rear rack has those nice solid grab rails. You kind of do a combo hack squat while walking back. Once you pass about 45 degrees, just have to scoot your but into it with a couple steps backwards and you're upright again. If you ever want to practice, you can send me a PM. We can find a grassy spot to lay your bike over gently, and you can attempt to lift it.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #4663
chinook1
Adventurer

Thanks for the tips! I'm glad that my ineptitude can benefit the group. I like to think of it as a service I provide...

It's interesting that when I low-sided at the intersection of Garland and Division, I had no issue lifting the bike. Combination of oncoming traffic, adrenalin, and flat pavement I suppose. Out in the loose sand at the ORV park, I tried all the methods I've seen before (backward waddle, handle bar lift, clean and jerk, cuss/ yell), the effect of which was to get the weight shifted onto the skid plate (Weld 86), then have it slide away from me as I slip a disk in my back.

I wonder if the skid plate actually hinders the lifting process by not allowing the tires to touch the ground and serve as a pivot point for the weight of the bike? http://www.weld86motoparts.com/

Saturday's shaping up to be a nice day for a ride...

1982 CB750K
Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #4664
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook1 View Post
Yeah, I need to figure out how to get comfortable standing. Went out to 7mile orv area to do some drills, and ended up dropping my poor beast at subwalking pace.

I could NOT pick that thing up. It just kept pushing away in the soft sand! Totally humiliating! I'm a pretty strong guy, so i thought.

Nice guy came by and helped ("thats a big bike for out here"), but it made me realize I should never go off pavement alone. Hope to see you Saturday!

My DL650 blew over in a gravel lot recently and I was surprised how hard it was to pick up, it took everything I had.
Without modifications a V Strom will never be comfortable ridden standing up, it's primarily a street bike.
I recommend, if at all possible, that you get a small dirt bike to practice on. Everything you learn on a small bike will transfer to the big bike with much less likelihood of damage and injury.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #4665
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
After riding all winter long, my exhaust on my Ural is less than stellar:

The bike itself faired well. I used ACF50 over it before the winter arrived. I'm guessing the heat cycles of the exhaust caused the ACF50 to be ineffective. So my question is do I poder coat the exhaust or ceramic coat? Who in the Spokane area does a good job?

Thanks!

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote