Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2014, 06:04 AM   #16
KMichael
Go Explore

Oddometer: 45
February. Route 116 in Conway MA. We aren't letting a little snow and cold get in the way of riding! If you are ever on that stretch of road (which I highly recommend) stop by Baker's Luncheonette and ask Helen to make you lunch. If nothing else, have a slice of pie and a cup of Joe. You won't be disappointed.
Attached Images

KMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMichael View Post
February. Route 116 in Conway MA. We aren't letting a little snow and cold get in the way of riding! If you are ever on that stretch of road (which I highly recommend) stop by Baker's Luncheonette and ask Helen to make you lunch. If nothing else, have a slice of pie and a cup of Joe. You won't be disappointed.
LOL, speak for yourself about that riding in the cold crap. Frankly, I was much happier when the temps get above freezing, rises into the 40s or 50s and I knew that snow is melting.

A good thing about riding this time of year though is that you can see through the trees for objects of interest, including those deer, moose, bears and turkeys that can mess up your ride.

PS Edit Note: This post quoted rider number two who, LOL, get me into all this this by taunting me into following him and his Harley down unkempt gravel and dirt roads, thus jarring my kidney stones loose on a half-ton bike that was only happy going straight down some slab. I got some revenge though, when he had to follow me down from VT on 8A. For some strange reason, the glide didn't like those bumpy, rutted switchbacks that day.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 07:27 AM
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #18
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

This morning it was slog through the damp and cold to get to number two's house, use his lift and install cylinder head guards (SW-Motech). As soon as we rolled it off the lift and out of the garage, the sun came out for an instant - prompting this picture.

Nothing adventuresome about this; however, we had gone down to RI to get the covers yesterday and happend across something both historic and interesting on the way back - a tiny 1728 Indian reservation sitting smack dab in a residential neighborhood so I rode to get a picture of the place. The reservation is located at coordinates 42.211012, -71.704659.

The sign says it all - well almost, but not quite.

Perhaps number two will fill in the story of the last resident on the reservation as he is more familiar with the area than I; however, it think it may have had something to do with the place being used to sell bootleg cigarettes. A quick check into the history of the place turned up this information.

This area was originally inhabited by a tribe of Nipmuc Indians and was called Hassanamisco or "place of small stones." Around 1671, an English missionary (John Eliot) established a church and Indian school, thus the reference to the "praying Indian town" in the sign above. Around 1724, 39 men and 1 woman petitioned the General Court to purchase 7,500 acres of land from this group of Indians. In 1735., a town was established and named "Grafton" after the Duke of Grafton (Charles Fitzroy). Fitzroy was the illegitimate son of England's King Charles II. The town is part of the oldest industrialized area in the U.S. (i.e. the Blackstone River Corridor).

We will revisit the area shortly when the weather clears and get more pictures.

popscycle screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 02:32 AM
Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #19
KMichael
Go Explore

Back in the days when Rider 3 (aka Popscycle) was cruising around a 1,000 pound Gold Wing, I took him up to St. Joseph's Abby in Spencer (route 31). I prayed that he'd see the light, convert, and become an ADV rider. Low and behold, my prayers were answered! Now I can't get him off his GS.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Back in the days when Rider 3 (aka Popscycle) was cruising around a 1,000 pound Gold Wing, I took him up to St. Joseph's Abby in Spencer (route 31). I prayed that he'd see the light, convert, and become an ADV rider. Low and behold, my prayers were answered! Now I can't get him off his GS.
Yes and in that vein, I was in the neighborhood of MIT Lincoln Lab's Haystack Observeratory this afternoon. I decided to go in and get some pictures so y'all could see the kind of stuff they have laying around.

MIT's Lincoln Labs, which are at or near the top of the scientific food chain, do interdisciplinary radio astronomy, geodesy, atmospherics and and astroinformatics at this location. What follows is what you see riding in.

I think there is something tall in this building that they roll out from time to time. A little farther up the road this ball thing comes into view.

The place is gated with electronic security. The sign on the ball just inside the gate says "Westford Radio Telescope".

Moving on, this large dish and some smaller observatory structures come into view.

Another view of what was ahead. The sky got so overcast and things so dim at this point that I pushed the vibrance of the pictures a bit so you could see the true color and detail of things.

Around this bend and farther up you encounter some more antennae. You can only see part of the stationary one on the right. Both are in need of paint, which would not be a trivial effort.

At the end of the road is this geodesic structure, which probably contains some antenna/antennae that needs to be covered or hidden. Several years ago, I was there when they were repairing the dome. I will try to find the picture thereof.

Looking back down the road:

popscycle screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 04:52 PM
Old 04-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #21
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
My Street Glide doesn't handle so well on roads like this (and it's amazing how many of them there really are). And, there's almost always something worth seeing at the end of them. Dual sport is the way to go. Why limit yourself to half the fun and adventure when you can have it all?
Isn't that the truth lol. To me cruisers are like ambien, a sleep aid. A good dual sport is and always be the most fun you can have on 2 wheels.

Great pics and great looking bike! The train tunnel is really cool, we have one nearby that is in the middle of nowhere but it is no longer used so it is safe to ride through.
mrphotoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:05 AM   #22
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
It has been noticed that shortly after that episode the Trappists at the Abby seemingly transcended their jam and jelly business and went into brewing beer - not the "pale stale ale with the foam on the bottom" type of silly stuff but some apparently serious brew called Spencer Trappist Ale. Remembering the friendly monk on the porch who said "we don't get many bikers up here", perhaps they too saw the light.

Anybody out there tried it yet?

BTW the Abbey is at coordinates 42.298678, -72.013011 and is a lovely, tranquil (i.e. as in no loud pipes) place.

popscycle screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 06:33 AM
Old 04-29-2014, 05:27 AM   #23
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Isn't that the truth lol. To me cruisers are like ambien, a sleep aid. A good dual sport is and always be the most fun you can have on 2 wheels.

Great pics and great looking bike! The train tunnel is really cool, we have one nearby that is in the middle of nowhere but it is no longer used so it is safe to ride through.
We would love to see some pictures of that train tunnel if you have any or happen by/through it in the future. There is nothing like a good train tunnel to spice up your ride.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:25 AM   #24
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 809
This thread to me is the essence of what I feel is adventure riding. I went from sport bikes to the GS and it changed my whole outlook on riding. I see more od what's around me and many more things pique my curiosity when riding. These kinds of write ups are the best. A little about the ride and a little informative info on the riding area.

Top notch fellas.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #25
KMichael
Go Explore

Several weeks back Rider 3 (Popscycle) and I headed west to Greenfield MA. There is train turntable there we wanted to check out -- around here, turntables are a rare thing. Well, it turned out that security was surprisingly high. Not wanting to cause any trouble we opted to respect the numerous signs warning us to keep out of the rail yard. I did however manage to snap this photo of a totally roached out and abandoned grain loader, which I thought was pretty cool.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #26
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Now that I have a bike that is comfortable (for me) to ride longer distances, the idea of revisiting some places of interest past is growing. One of those places is the Air Force Museum at Wright Pat AFB in Dayton, OH. This time, we will go equipped with a better camera. Pictures from the last trip had a lot a noise, some of which I removed with post-processing. Here's one that was half-decent after the de-noise operation.

Another place we want to revisit is Strasburg PA, including the railroad and museum.

You'd never guess that we like planes and trains. Steamtown in Scranton is another destination. I am sure we will find some Gelände to go with the Straße along the way.

popscycle screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 08:15 AM
Old 04-30-2014, 05:32 AM   #27
BBQer
Who Me

Oddometer: 781
Adventure riders in central MA, who knew?

That tower in Grafton looks kinda familiar, think it mighta been a MA tag photo several years ago.

The town has a plaque and memorial set there also.

Lately I've been acting stupid and taking my adventure Beemer places I shouldn't, all good though.

640 Adventure
250 EXC
BBQer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #28
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
This thread to me is the essence of what I feel is adventure riding. I went from sport bikes to the GS and it changed my whole outlook on riding. I see more od what's around me and many more things pique my curiosity when riding. These kinds of write ups are the best. A little about the ride and a little informative info on the riding area.

Top notch fellas.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQer View Post
Adventure riders in central MA, who knew?

That tower in Grafton looks kinda familiar, think it mighta been a MA tag photo several years ago.

The town has a plaque and memorial set there also.

Lately I've been acting stupid and taking my adventure Beemer places I shouldn't, all good though.
Thanks, BBQer, for the additional pics of the tower. We're happy to see you're out and about with that steed and hope you will post more pics for us adventure noobs. Speaking of being out and about, look what we had staring at us at breakfast this morning.

Locals may recognize this place and the fact that PETA people generally don't come here to eat. Anyway, this is one of the places our rides can start from.

Also, if you're out and about central MA this summer and you happen across this fine machine running around, be sure to wave as the fine gentleman behind the wheel would be AMA hall-of_fame member and gifted (if not genius) wrench Joe Bolger.

Joe can scratch-build some really neat and fun stuff from things laying around the shop and house.

popscycle screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 08:37 AM
Old 04-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #29
KMichael
Go Explore

Snapped this photo of an abandoned mill in Hardwick, MA (route 32). The sign reminds me of something the guys from American Pickers might barter for, buy, and load-up in their van. It reads "Hardwick Knitted Fabrics". If you've been following this thread, you'll notice that the picture pre-dates the arrival of Rider 3's GS. Back then he was still cruising around on the on the road sofa, yelling at me for choosing roached out roads that would "bust his fork seal". LOL. Happily that's no longer a problem.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #30
Mortech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
It is threads like this that finally got me to buy my new Tiger ( well that and getting handed divorce paperwork on the 24th ) .Now to find some roads
Mortech is online now   Reply With Quote