ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
PBrad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Riding from Boston to DC... best places to pick up on the tet?

I only have 1.5 days to get to DC with my wife on the back of the bike at the end of May. My original thinking is we slab it until PA on the first half day, then take most of the day riding through PA on the TET (tet10, then part of tet9). At over 300 miles plus another 100 riding slabbing it on rt 70 to DC I'm thinking this is probably a bit too ambitious.

My questions are:
What is the typical riding speed through tet 9 and 10 2 up on 80/20 tires with a big adv bike?

Any areas that are particularly fun/scenic that I shouldn't miss?

Are their any areas that I should avoid?

Any other ideas?
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
PBrad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is what I am thinking:

The portion in green is 150 miles or so of the TET which I would start at the beginning of the day on day 2. It looks like there's not too much dirt, so I am guessing I can easily average 30mph, which should take me 5 hours. I can then slab the remaining 150 miles or so down to DC. Long day but better than flying or caging it down.

Thoughts, anyone? I've never done any portion of the tet, so any advice in this area is welcomed. Pretty please?
Old 05-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
TET in NJ & eastern PA

I've ridden those sections extensively - I should have, I scouted it.

Yeah, most of it is paved, but the Delaware Water Gap have some nice twistys followed by some gravel past the waterfall.

In PA you are following along a high ridge along the Appalachian Trail... you go along one side for awhile, then climb up and over the ridge back down to the other side. Sometimes the climb up and down is on gravel and the views are always good. Pretty countryside.

Towards the SW end of what you're looking at you get away from the ridge, but you are still in hilly land along rivers.

All good and reasonably easy riding.

The further you ride down, the closer you get to DC... so maybe pick 2-3 bailout points and routes from them to DC depending on how you are progressing.

Enjoy!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
PBrad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
I've ridden those sections extensively - I should have, I scouted it.

Yeah, most of it is paved, but the Delaware Water Gap have some nice twistys followed by some gravel past the waterfall.

In PA you are following along a high ridge along the Appalachian Trail... you go along one side for awhile, then climb up and over the ridge back down to the other side. Sometimes the climb up and down is on gravel and the views are always good. Pretty countryside.

Towards the SW end of what you're looking at you get away from the ridge, but you are still in hilly land along rivers.

All good and reasonably easy riding.

The further you ride down, the closer you get to DC... so maybe pick 2-3 bailout points and routes from them to DC depending on how you are progressing.

Enjoy!
Thanks. I'm starting to get pretty excited! Wheres this waterfall you speak of?

Also, now that you've reminded me, are there any other particularly interesting things to see along this portion of the tet that are worth noting?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
TET sights

The waterfall is in the Delaware Water Gap, on the south side of the road towards the southwest end. There should be a waypoint for it. Buttermilk falls.

Iron Furnace hostel is on the route down near Maryland - historic building and place.

Also near that area is the Gettysburg Civil War battlefield.

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote