User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
thailand/vietnam last minute

I'm considering a very spur of the moment trip. I'm meeting a friend in bangkok soon but we will part ways and I plan to stay in thailand until mid or late may. Considering renting a bike in Chang Mai to explore for approx 1-2 weeks in the region. Or flying to Hanoi and doing the same. I'm looking for interested bodies to join me, or suggestions for tour companies if I do it alone. No preference to on/offroad. I just want to see some scenery and take in some local culture.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

130 views and no replies?

The plan so far is to fly into Chang Mai from bangkok and rent a bike there. Looking for suggestions from people who have done the Mae Hong Son Loop, what type of bike, gear, and how many days to plan to do this trip?
Old 04-15-2014, 02:01 AM   #3
Captbb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Im in

Just finished about 3 years in C & S America on my 800gs. I have been to Thailand twice but without bike.Love the place. Have tried to get info on shipping ny GS from USA to Thailand but have not made good progress. Also considering buying Honda 250 to ship over.Im in for what ever we can put together
Captbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm planning on arriving to Chang Mai on April 29 or 30 giving myself a week to explore the MHS loop and surrounding area. Going to be renting a bike which is pretty reasonable, 1200 baht/day for a klx 250 or bit more for an ER6N.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,515
I just rented a brand new versys for a week there in Chiang Mai. 1600 baht a day. They had a er6n for 1000 which seemed real good. C&P Service was who I used they are real nice.
Check in at the Riders Corner for good breakfast in the morning and cold beer and burgers in the afternoon. If Phil is around he has many good tips. Ride Asia forum is also a good resource.
Along with the MHS loop the road to doi ang khang is spectacular.
I also recommend going to Fang and up to the tea growing area of Doi Mae Salong. Stay at the Shinsane hotel and eat black skinned chicken soup. Good place to soak in some culture, that hotel has been there since 1970!
In Chiang Mai stay at the Ban Wiang guesthouse good location safe parking and short walk to C&P Service.
In MHS stay at mountain Inn. There is a great new pizza place right around the corner from the hotel. You can make one or two nights on the MHS loop. Mae Sariang is also a pleasant town to stay the night.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
Iron Butt #35784

bush pilot screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 02:08 PM
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
I just rented a brand new versys for a week there in Chiang Mai. 1600 baht a day. They had a er6n for 1000 which seemed real good. C&P Service was who I used they are real nice.
Check in at the Riders Corner for good breakfast in the morning and cold beer and burgers in the afternoon. If Phil is around he has many good tips. Ride Asia forum is also a good resource.
I also recommend going to Fang and up to the tea growing area of Doi Mae Salong. Stay at the Shinsane hotel and eat black skinned chicken soup. Good place to soak in some culture, that hotel has been there since 1970!
In Chiang Mai stay at the Ban Wiang guesthouse good location safe parking and short walk to C&P Service.
In MHS stay at mountain Inn. There is a great new pizza place right around the corner from the hotel. You can make one or two nights on the MHS loop. Mae Sariang is also a pleasant town to stay the night.

thanks that's a great bit of info. I read it is pretty safe to leave a passport as collateral? Is that true? Also would an er6n be too big of a bike for these roads? Should I bring my own helmet or can these be picked up pretty cheap?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

The Er6n is great has enough power to get past the slow busses and trucks. I really enjoyed the Versys. I rode with my son and he rented a cb500x for 1200 a day. Not quite the power of the kawasaki but a decent bike. If you can get a er6n for 1000 that be the deal.
The shop I rented from has an assortment of loaner helmets. Maybe just bring a baklava to wick the sweat away. It will be hot in the city.
The guys at the C&P service are straight up. No worries about the passport.

Iron Butt #35784
Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post

Which road are you referring to do doi ang khang? looks like that whole area is very good and doable on a day trip from CM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

You pick up the road to Doi Ang Khang in Chiang Dao 1178 then 1340 and 1249 which will loop around drop you out just south of Fang. You could combine that with a trip to Doi Mae Salong.

Iron Butt #35784
Old 05-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
rosmoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
The new Honda CB 500 X would be perfect for your ride. Do include a trip up to Mae Salong & the high back roads along the Burma Border to Mai Sai.
rosmoe is offline   Reply With Quote