Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #31
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortech View Post
It is threads like this that finally got me to buy my new Tiger ( well that and getting handed divorce paperwork on the 24th ) .Now to find some roads
We are happy to hear you've got a new Tiger and hope you find (and share with us) some great roads.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #32
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Parking Next To A Celebrity

When I was out rooting in the gravel railfanning (i.e., watching them replace a cylinder on a Geep) a week back, I didn't know I had inadvertently parked next to a celebrity. That would be one of the last (American Built) GM/EMD F7s still in everyday freight service.

I use the word "celebrity" because the 1952 F7-A locomotive pictured above was featured in the June 2014 issue of Trains Magazine that came today. Another (with permission) run through their freight yards and down the rail line to get more pictures is now on the docket. I am thinking it will be titled "The Anatomy Of A Growing Short Rail Line" with a look back at the history of this line as well as its current state.

Note: I am thinking that number two may have ridden the old Hondapotamus (his name for it, not mine) up onto the freight platform on the other side of this engine for reasons that only he knows. Not to be outdone, I rode his GSW up onto the same platform to pose with the Geep.

In any event, more the the Grafton and Upton RR to follow when things dry out.

popscycle screwed with this post 05-01-2014 at 04:40 PM
Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #33
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

I slipped out of the office for a while this afternoon to check out one of the bridges that are on my GPS "to see" list. Erected in 1889, it has been well taken care of.

Along the way though, there were a plethora of interesting structures and views. Here are a few of them, starting with an abandoned RR station.

Next was a great old mill that is closed but not in bad condition.

More of the same mill complex:

Next is a view that is a little farther downstream.

Finally, a really neat old factory that appeared to now be a residence.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:17 AM   #34
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

More on Haystack

Earlier, we posted pictures of a trip to Haystack Observatory without explaining much about the destination, thus this remedial post.

Haystack observatory was originally built in 1960 by MIT Lincoln Labs for the U.S. Air Force for microwave research (secret work at the time). In 1970, the Air Force transferred ownership to MIT, who then formed the Northeast Radio Observatory Corporation (NEROC) with the following schools: Boston University, Brandeis University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Massachusetts, University of New Hampshire and Wellesley College. MIT's Lincoln Labs administers the site.

The observatory is currently being used to investigate the origin and evolution of the universe, tectonic plate measurements and movements and perform atmospheric/magnetospheric studies. For more detailed information, visit the MIT Haystack Web Site.

The gates are open through the week and there are good photo opportunities for those interested in this sort of thing. You can ride to the location, which is easily found with Google, via back roads.

popscycle screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 05:23 AM
Old 05-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #35
hyper7driver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post

Food to keep the Harley image up huh?
hyper7driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:34 AM   #36
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper7driver View Post
Food to keep the Harley image up huh?
LOL, with no Starbucks out in that neck of the woods for any sort of BMW image, any port in the storm. Recommend the raspberry danish or sticky buns!

Old 05-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #37
vmcrcr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
I slipped out of the office for a while this afternoon to check out one of the bridges that are on my GPS "to see" list. Erected in 1889, it has been well taken care of.

Nice Pumpkinseed.
There is one up near Campton, NH a bit larger, and not quite as nice.
I'm under the impression that funds are available to begin the restoration, but might be waiting for all the funding before starting work.

http://scenicnh.photoshelter.com/image/I0000f5ZClp6DPm0

I'm enjoying this thread, you guys have interests similar to mine.
My dad builds miniature live steam engines as a hobby, so I grew up chasing trains, and live in Southern, NH, so mill buildings are plentiful.
The history in those buildings.......
vmcrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #38
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcrcr View Post
Nice Pumpkinseed.
There is one up near Campton, NH a bit larger, and not quite as nice.
I'm under the impression that funds are available to begin the restoration, but might be waiting for all the funding before starting work.

http://scenicnh.photoshelter.com/image/I0000f5ZClp6DPm0

I'm enjoying this thread, you guys have interests similar to mine.
My dad builds miniature live steam engines as a hobby, so I grew up chasing trains, and live in Southern, NH, so mill buildings are plentiful.
The history in those buildings.......
Thank you for letting us know about the bridge. If you run across any old steam engines, please let us know (we're wishing we could be following UP's Big Boy to WY). On the subject of old mills, we are slowly losing them day by day. We ran across this one today that fell into ruin and is now being demolished.

These were once the backbone of our industrial might and it is sad to see them lost. I do understand that they can often be contaminated with asbestos and other harmful materials. The area around this one wasn't looking all that healthy. A closeup:

Here is another mill that is slowly being demolished. You gotta love its old bridge.

As I mentioned in the bridge thread, this one is located at coordinates 42.385920, -72.098210.

popscycle screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 05:45 PM
Old 05-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #39
tristan626
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I have to say thanks for this thread. I am recently new to this site and am finding great info and plenty in your trip reports. Very much appreciate the Rose32 recommendation, simply delicious and well worth the time to visit. I will be back. Living in Central MA, it's nice to come across information that is so close and makes a difference in my rides and enjoyment.
Keep up the great communications.
Attached Images

tristan626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #40
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan626 View Post
I have to say thanks for this thread. I am recently new to this site and am finding great info and plenty in your trip reports. Very much appreciate the Rose32 recommendation, simply delicious and well worth the time to visit. I will be back. Living in Central MA, it's nice to come across information that is so close and makes a difference in my rides and enjoyment.
Keep up the great communications.
We are always happy to hear that the thread is providing some riding value and enjoyment. That is why we started it.

popscycle screwed with this post 05-04-2014 at 07:36 AM
Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #41
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

A Towering Friend

It is the rare friend who builds a tower as a monument to your life and friendship but that is exactly what Stephen Salisbury did for George Bancroft. Few people around here know who George Bancroft is or that he has a tower memorial in Worcester MA, not far from WPI at coordinates 42.2765,-71.8158. Yesterday, we decided to go see this tower (first time ever - didn't know it was here).

A little closer look at the monument:

At the foot of the tower is this explanatory plaque:

The location of the tower is on one of the noted 7 hills of Worcester. Looking back, you get this view.

More on Bancroft (below left) and Salisbury (below right) to follow.

In life, George Bancroft was a towering personality, as a writer, politician, historian, diplomat and academic, with numerous accomplishments. He may be best remembered as the founder of the U.S. Naval Academy but is worth a look for all the other things he did. Bancroft was also no academic slouch, having graduated from Harvard at 17 to go on and get a doctorate from the seriously-academically-bad-ass University of Göttingen. That place makes your brain hurt just walking on the grounds. When you think of Göttingen, the names Gauss, Goethe, Einstein, Schopenhauer, Born, Teller, Courant, et. al come to mind.

Stephen Salisbury was a local (Worcester) politician and business man who's remembered for being one of the founders of the Worcester Art Museum, pictured below (internet pic).

popscycle screwed with this post 05-04-2014 at 09:29 AM
Old 05-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #42
KMichael
Go Explore

Oddometer: 51
Rider 3 (Popscycle) was AWOL today, claiming he had to work. So, I motored south, solo. In Sutton, MA I came across this marker for the Boston Post Road. Thought it was pretty cool so here it is. There's a lot of information on-line about this subject so I'll mention only that it was a mail delivery route between New York City and Boston in the late 1600s through the 1700s. Markers like these were every couple of miles -- not sure how many remain.

Photo 1 of 2: here's the "front" of the marker.
Attached Images

KMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #43
KMichael
Go Explore

Oddometer: 51
Photo 2 of 2: here's the "back" of the marker, which is a commemorative sign from the town of Sutton.
Attached Images

KMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #44
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

The Odd Fellows

My grandfather was an odd fellow, both literally and figuratively and used to babysit by taking me to the local IOOF hall with him so he could play cards. Thus, I had some interest when rider two had the old Worcester Odd Fellow's Home on his list of places to see. Although on the National Register of Historic Places, it is about to be demolished so we rode up there. This is what it looks like this week.

This is what it looked like before demolition began (pic from internet):

The cornerstone for this building was layed in 1890 and it served as a senior's home for nearly a century. The replacement home is just down the hill and, looking like a Super-8 motel, was of no photographic interest. Several more closeups of the old place follow.

We will go back periodically to follow this grand old building's demolition.

popscycle screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 11:36 AM
Old 05-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #45
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Another Regular Stop

On the way home from riding, we often stop off to watch the Greater Boston Soaring Club operate in Sterling, MA and see what's flying. This week the stop was good for a "birds of a feather" pic.

Whenever we ride in, someone usually comes over to chat about the bikes and/or tries to get us to join the club. This week was no exception as one of the originating founders of the club came by to chat. He's in his 80s and still flying. Although soaring looks more interesting than powered flight (which is expensive and mostly boring, IMHO), we'd rather spend our time and money riding. For those of you who might be interested in soaring, here's a nice video made by the club. Should you stop by, chances are you will find the group to be friendly and welcoming.

popscycle screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 11:55 AM