ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #4066
MattyBoomBatty
I ride bikes

Oddometer: 56
Wink Tag got... On my way back from

VT to WV pics and ride reports coming soon
Old 05-04-2014, 03:08 AM   #4067
MattyBoomBatty
I ride bikes

Cool2 New tag

Snapped the pic then a deluge of rain came down! Whatever way you get here it can be made into a loop by using Wildcat road. Beware that this alt route is for off-road capable bikes only!

Old 05-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #4068
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoomBatty View Post
Whatever way you get here it can be made into a loop by using Wildcat road. Beware that this alt route is for off-road capable bikes only!
Speaking of which, last time I was out there, they had a whole lot of work going on that seemed to be "improving" the Dam Road and Wildcat Road sections up to the LT...something to do with a new, large-scale sugaring operation, I guess. What do they look like at this point?
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #4069
MattyBoomBatty
I ride bikes

wildcat rd

I didn't ride it this particular day. But I was out there before snow fall and it was riding really nice. The beaver dam was pretty dry so it wasn't bad and the old turnpike side was really nice, because of the sugaring operation. The wild cat road is all new because of Irene. Now if we go back about 6 yrs that's a whole different story!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
Speaking of which, last time I was out there, they had a whole lot of work going on that seemed to be "improving" the Dam Road and Wildcat Road sections up to the LT...something to do with a new, large-scale sugaring operation, I guess. What do they look like at this point?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #4070
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoomBatty View Post
I didn't ride it thiular day. But I was out there before snow fall and it was riding really nice. The beaver dam was pretty dry so it wasn't bad and the old turnpike side was really nice, because of the sugaring operation. The wild cat road is all new because of Irene. Now if we go back about 6 yrs that's a whole different story!
I lived in Killington when Irene came thru and decided to go to Rutland via Old Turnpike while the main road was still out... I think I got the GS thoroughly stuck at least three times and dropped it a few more. I've never been happier to see a road crew...
Old 05-05-2014, 06:01 AM   #4071
Spad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Does Wildcat Road go all the way through? Google Maps has it as a dead end. I'm looking for passable loops for a DR350SE under a less experienced rider in the southern Addison/northern Rutand area riding solo; if tags are involved, all the better.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #4072
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spad View Post
Does Wildcat Road go all the way through? Google Maps has it as a dead end. I'm looking for passable loops for a DR350SE under a less experienced rider in the southern Addison/northern Rutand area riding solo; if tags are involved, all the better.

- Spad
Wildcat (from the Chittenden Dam area), Old Turnpike (from Route 4 in Mendon) and Elbow Road (from the North Sherburne / Coffeehouse Road area of Killington) all intersect just past a beaver dam in, I think, a corner of Chittenden. Or maybe Mendon. Either way, yes, they all go through.*

*: last summer, at least. I have no idea what winter snows, spring rains, or anything else may have done to impair travel since then. But I'd expect it to be very passable on a 350...it's normally big-bike friendly.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #4073
Spad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Wildcat (from the Chittenden Dam area), Old Turnpike (from Route 4 in Mendon) and Elbow Road (from the North Sherburne / Coffeehouse Road area of Killington) all intersect just past a beaver dam in, I think, a corner of Chittenden. Or maybe Mendon. Either way, yes, they all go through.*

*: last summer, at least. I have no idea what winter snows, spring rains, or anything else may have done to impair travel since then. But I'd expect it to be very passable on a 350...it's normally big-bike friendly.
Yeah, it's more the rider than the bike I'm worried about - seeing the tag put up on a KTM Adventure loaded with luggage made that clear. I'm OK on forest road, but not up to single track or unmaintained trail yet. Water crossings need work too - last summer a Class IV had a deep enough hole to stop the bike dead in the water (literally - I still regret not getting a picture). Given what you said, though, I can follow the gaps in the trees to see where they connect to the other roads on Google. Thanks.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #4074
Ballics
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:

***Wildcat rd is currently closed due to active logging in the remote section where the intersection, that kbroderick mentioned, is.
I live nearby and took a quick ride this evening and found a makeshift barrier and a "Road Closed" sign. As well as a couple log skidders and other logging equipment.
I would have grabbed the tag at the Dam if I had remembered a camera!

Ballics screwed with this post 05-06-2014 at 06:08 PM
Ballics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #4075
VTbeemer
Traveler

Oddometer: 325
Nice day for a ride..

Dan

14' R1200GSW- 93' R100GS/PD- F650GS- 94' R11RS
08' WR250R- 95 R100R- K75s- 57' R69
77' R75/7- 06' Ducati S4R Monster- 74' XL 250
VTbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #4076
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymanbro View Post
Nice. I was going to try check out Kelly Stand in the next couple of days. Good to hear they're making progress. Hopefully they aren't making it *too* nice of a road.
Just tried to get thru today. One of the crew advised they were working in the road and said I might be able to get thru. There were "blasting" signs around. A BIG piece of equipment had his LARGE jackhammer laying across the road and there was another working in the road further down. I turned around.
Got about 12 miles of dirt before hitting the construction. The new pavement from Stratton is nice. Never been on the road before. Looks like they are going to maintain the pristine nature of the road, dirty and narrow.

As far as I got.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #4077
VTbeemer
Traveler

Oddometer: 325
New Tag

Vermontasaurus

Dan

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

14' R1200GSW- 93' R100GS/PD- F650GS- 94' R11RS
08' WR250R- 95 R100R- K75s- 57' R69
77' R75/7- 06' Ducati S4R Monster- 74' XL 250
VTbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #4078
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,948
That's a cool tag, Dan.

If you get the chance, talk to the owner. Get the tour.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:50 AM   #4079
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
That's a cool tag, Dan.

If you get the chance, talk to the owner. Get the tour.

Freaking couch with wheels! Sweet
Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #4080
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Does Evil Clown now hold the tag?

I need that couch!
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote