ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #16
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I wonder if SW7 or Rottweiler will offer a full foam filter kit, eliminating the whole ugly air box. I have one on my 990 and am very happy with it. Could be some warranty issues with newer bikes I guess???

Personally I think having an air box on an off road bike is a very good idea. Its one more barrier for water to get through in stream crossings, and keeps the incoming air cooler than open elements.

An oiled foam filter should have been standard on these bikes. Even my Super Tenere had an oiled filter....

Thankfully the bike is such a riot to ride, I've never thought about the air filter while on a trip

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #17
m25443
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedKTM View Post
They claim coming soon at the bottom of this page...

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/Adventure1190.html
Cool. The other KTMs are listed as 8-15 hp increase from the air intake. Any idea how realistic those #s are? Another 10 hp would be nice!!!

-Mike
m25443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #18
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Not if you install the foam unifilter kit. Paper doesn't cut it with off road riding.
Yes, paper is not good. But in these cases it is not the paper the culprit. It is something that is not sealing properly as air (and dust) *bypasses* the filter.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #19
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,517
Just ordered a Unifilter; cannot believe the amount of dirt shown in the photos.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #20
okeanis1234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Guys,the dust in the photos is from off-road use of the bike?I mean,all of you with dust in the engine,use the bike for off road?
I use the bike for on road only and i want to know if i also have the same issue...
okeanis1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:43 AM   #21
jj_pt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeanis1234 View Post
Guys,the dust in the photos is from off-road use of the bike?I mean,all of you with dust in the engine,use the bike for off road?
I use the bike for on road only and i want to know if i also have the same issue...
I use mine mainly on-road and I've ordered the unifilter kit. I would recommend it to anyone with a 1190.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #22
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Re

I used mine on dirt every time I rode it, I live on a farm.
The issue is with the airbox lid that doesnt seal propperly. No amount of grease seems to solve the problem. I had just under 10 000km on mine when it would not start. Now I have to convince the dealership that the dust might have damaged other engine components and that I need a rebuild of the motor at the very least to give me piece of mind while riding in remote areas. I was planning on riding the length of africa with this bike but if it lets me down in the namib dessert I am pretty much screwed.

But let me reserve judgement until the dealership lets me know what they are going to do about it.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 AM   #23
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 394
+1, fitted the Unifilter to my '2014 R from new, based on the recommendation of several owners I had been chatting to in private before I purchased my 1190. I ordered directly from "FilterMan" Miles, who is an inmate and also the owner of the "Unifilter" manufacturing company in Australia, www.uniflow.com.au

The people I spoke to had engines replaced and the later 2014 airbox fitted under warranty by KTM. BUT ... they also told me that dust was still getting into the engine until they took matters in their own hands and fitted the Unifilter, which solved the problem completely. The inside of the airbox and intake tubes on my own 1190 R are spotless despite several "dusty" off road excursions.

KTM have never published an official statement about the 'bikes whose engines were trashed by the bad filter design. Nor have KTM ever acknowledged that there is still a significant problem, despite the fact that many owners have written to them and informed them. Owners are justified in criticizing KTM about their poor communications.

P.S. If you are in the USA, you can order the Unifilter kits from Touratech, costing $98.10

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...90-Adventure-R
Old 05-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #24
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 538
It's cheaper to order direct from Australia than to go through Touratech, FYI.
I don't know the exact math anymore, but it was like $75 shipped, and took about a week. Just got mine, haven't looked in the airbox yet, but was on a very dusty ride last weekend.
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 AM   #25
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyamkaw View Post
I don't know the exact math anymore, but it was like $75 shipped, and took about a week. Just got mine, haven't looked in the airbox yet, but was on a very dusty ride last weekend.
Better let FilterMan (Miles) comment ... it may be a short-term "air mail" arrangement to help owners out until Touratech's new stock of Unifilters arrives by ship.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #26
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeanis1234 View Post

I have 1500 miles on mine, never been on more than a gravel road and those were wet so no dusty conditions at all and I have dust in the airbox (very light) so will be installing the unifilter.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #27
WickedKTM
Lost

Oddometer: 105
2014 1190 Adventure Airbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Better let FilterMan (Miles) comment ... it may be a short-term "air mail" arrangement to help owners out until Touratech's new stock of Unifilters arrives by ship.

Yes I got mine in less than a week ordering direct and it was about $25 cheaper to my door than Touratechs advertised price.
WickedKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #28
chadscamaro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I am telling my dealer to install those filters on every 1190 they sell to save them a headache of issues. Since mine already had problems starting yesterday and I pulled it to see all that dirt in throttle bodys they are going to get with KTM and see what the next step is but the motor could be screwed in the long run I guess ?? What a pain!
chadscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #29
rigwrecker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyamkaw View Post

I'd order it directly from Oz. I paid $100 - All in, delivered from a shop in the same province in Canada (500 km away). Quick delivery though, 3 business days. Not the best price, but wanted protection for my $20K investment. I installed it with no dirt dust in the airbox/trumpets, but I had less than 150 km on it. I basically installed it after 2 days of owning the bike

For guys in Alberta looking, and want it now, Blackfoot motorsports Calgary: http://www.blackfootonline.com/
1-800-665-6735
rigwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #30
mmckenna
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I ordered mine from Unifilter Australia last night after reading this thread, $83.12 delivered. It shipped this morning.
mmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote