ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #31
2wheelfool
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Moab
Oddometer: 4
Pissed

My 2014 has dust in the airbox as well (not quite as bad as the prior posted photos) . Taking it back to the dealer for them to document and run tests.

I'm peeved.........andI expect some assurance from KTM.
We'll see.......
2wheelfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #32
Gerrit Mocke
n00b
 
Gerrit Mocke's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Africa
Oddometer: 1
My 2014 R had very little dust in the airbox after a 6000km ride through the Karoo (a semi desert dusty area) I think I was spared a dusty airbox because I sealed the airbox cover and filter area prior the ride. I still use the OE KTM filter. I will change it soon though.
Gerrit Mocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #33
Fro_911
Watch this...
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Reno
Oddometer: 10
Ordered my Uni from Oz yesterday. It shipped yesterday. Total was A$81.32. I see it as piece of mind that is both easy and cheap.
__________________
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth...
Fro_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #34
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill
 
mlyamkaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Lake Wenatchee, WA
Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
I ordered mine from Unifilter Australia last night after reading this thread, $83.12 delivered. It shipped this morning.
That's Australian $.
__________________
14 KTM 1190R
09 KTM 300 XC-W
13 Ural Gear Up
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #35
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeanis1234 View Post
Guys,the dust in the photos is from off-road use of the bike?I mean,all of you with dust in the engine,use the bike for off road?
I use the bike for on road only and i want to know if i also have the same issue...
All motors need a good air filtration system. Absence of it is a more immediate problem riding on dirt. But you get plenty of particulates on street riding, enough to cause damage, just that it will take longer for you to realize it.
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #36
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Pretoria South Africa
Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
All motors need a good air filtration system. Absence of it is a more immediate problem riding on dirt. But you get plenty of particulates on street riding, enough to cause damage, just that it will take longer for you to realize it.
Would you mind sending that to any and all of KTM's research and development personnel?
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #37
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrift View Post
Would you mind sending that to any and all of KTM's research and development personnel?
The worst part of this is that they know about it. They tried to fix the 2013 bikes with changes in the 2014 models, but... well the 2015 bikes will be the good ones. Third time's a charm.
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #38
CaliBerger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
The worst part of this is that they know about it. They tried to fix the 2013 bikes with changes in the 2014 models, but... well the 2015 bikes will be the good ones. Third time's a charm.
When does US usually receive next model year KTMs?
CaliBerger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #39
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Pretoria South Africa
Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBerger View Post
When does US usually receive next model year KTMs?
Dont worry they would have found a way of making their rims out of cheese. Oh no wait they already did that...
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #40
CaliBerger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrift View Post
Dont worry they would have found a way of making their rims out of cheese. Oh no wait they already did that...
Understand your frustration
Much more concerned about airbox issue than soft rims
Hoping both issues get addressed for 2015... just wondering when new models are typically released
CaliBerger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #41
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Pretoria South Africa
Oddometer: 104
re

Yeah sorry, I am not sure abut any dates. Probably best to ask a dealer near you. I do know however that in may the prices increased again in South Africa.

Lets hope they get the message and get the bikes sorted. They are great machines and lots of fun.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #42
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OrangeV's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: LittleBigSmoke
Oddometer: 491
Gday Guys

The price for Australian riders is $69.95 AUD
http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d321.html

I have 7,500Km's on the dial, I hardly do any dusty/dirt road riding.
I have ordered this filter today.

I believe this is a serious oversight on KTM's part, yes they stuffed up..

I bought my 2014 EDS 1190 specifically for road duties with the occasional dirt road/trail if it comes my way.

I think the price is academic, in comparison to fine dust getting into your air box and screwing your lovelly 1190 engine.

If you ride an 1190 then buy the Unifilter, and dont foget to get your RadGuard.. http://www.radguard.com.au/products/...tor-guard.html This man sure knows how to make them.
He's an Ozzie..

Question: For the riders who already have the Unifilter fitted, are there any issues at all in thrrotle response or any thing else that we need to know about. Just asking for curiosity sake..
Thanks for your response...
__________________
75 V perky peak power from around 5000rpm and loves to be worked through the gears.
When you hit that sweet spot, it is simply electrifying.
Simplicity is the key note of all elegance
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #43
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Reno
Oddometer: 1,182
I'm a 990 guy with no direct experience with the 1190. But the thought I have is that, there may be an over-reaction happening here. Don't get me wrong, I would be upset also. I give KTM some, but not unlimited, credit for their design capabilities. Are you guys sure that the "problem" is truly a bad design or possibly (?) something to do with filter installation? I don't claim to know. If I had an 1190, I would be fired up too. But, seems to me that I would really want to know if there is any part of the "problem" which might (?) be related to the way the filter and or the airbox cover is installed. I don't mean to suggest that I know what the problem is. KTM knows a thing or 2 about dirt bikes.

Anyway, hoping that there is no engine damage here and that you guys enjoy the 1190's.
__________________
KTMs--300, 518, 990
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #44
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I'm a 990 guy with no direct experience with the 1190. But the thought I have is that, there may be an over-reaction happening here. Don't get me wrong, I would be upset also. I give KTM some, but not unlimited, credit for their design capabilities. Are you guys sure that the "problem" is truly a bad design or possibly (?) something to do with filter installation? I don't claim to know. If I had an 1190, I would be fired up too. But, seems to me that I would really want to know if there is any part of the "problem" which might (?) be related to the way the filter and or the airbox cover is installed. I don't mean to suggest that I know what the problem is. KTM knows a thing or 2 about dirt bikes.

Anyway, hoping that there is no engine damage here and that you guys enjoy the 1190's.
The deafening silence from KTM on the problems hasnt helped.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
__________________
Currently riding 2013 KTM 1190 Adv R

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #45
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 7,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
The deafening silence from KTM on the problems hasnt helped.

Looks just like this:


__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014