ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #16
wandering fool
A Man on a Bike

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXanadu View Post
I didn't take it as defensive... I just called the MO DMV and they said you have to license it in the state that you are a resident. If you get a plate in one state and are a resident in another state that is illegal. I guess my only option is to find someone in a legal state who wants to plate it in there name and let me ride it in Kansas... Maybe I should just wait for a good deal on a DR650 to show up.
I have done some research as well and it looks to be different by state. Residency is defined differently by state. There seems to be provisions in some states for people with vacation homes allowing them to register vehicles in the state the vehicles reside in the MOST, i.e. if your vehicle is used 51% of the time in a state other than your license than it is legal to register the vehicle in that state. It also seems to be pretty vague in the laws I perused. All I can say is that the DMV in La. had zero problem with the registration of my vehicle in La. with my out of state license. Sounds like MO feels differently about the matter.
Good luck!
wandering fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #17
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,027
SD does not care where you live. KS may get their panties in a wad, but then they wont let you plate it there anyway.
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #18
StarkReiten
[to ride hard]

Oddometer: 172
MXanadu,

If it's possible to get the bike titled and plated in MO before you buy it, Kansas should transfer the title and issue plates. It won't look like anything other than a normal motorcycle transfer to the DMV revenuers.

The Kansas VIN verification still has to be done, but my local sheriff's office only checks the VIN and collects their fee.

The Kansas statues don't seem to mention anything about DOT compliance for motorcycles; but if it doesn't make the DMV register them, they won't.
http://kansasstatutes.lesterama.org/Chapter_8/Article_18/

Just my .02 mills worth, YMMV....

Dana
StarkReiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #19
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,391
The problem, if they do check the VIN, it will come up 'off road only.' Unless Kansas specifically makes exemptions for plated off road motorcycles, I suspect that this will not end well for the OP.

The same thing used to be the case in Mn until they specifically changed the statute. Turns out, it has nothing to do with brake lights and things like that and everything to do with EPA clean air regs.

Sigh.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #20
MXanadu OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
So I went ahead and got the bike. I wanted to post photos earlier but took awhile to get them online. I doubt I can get it plated in KS. I am going to try and get it plated in OK and ride it in KS. It has an OK title...

If I can't get it plated I will flip it. Its a 626 with upgraded exhaust, carb, seat, tank, wheels gusseted sub frame, handle bars, and it even has an oil cooler.

I like it and hope I can get it plated. If not I could resell it for a bit of a profit. (got it for $750)

Thanks everyone for replying!

MXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
MXanadu OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
My bike was stolen!

This bike was stolen in Topeka Kansas. Please keep an eye out for it.
MXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #22
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXanadu View Post

This bike was stolen in Topeka Kansas. Please keep an eye out for it.
I don't suppose you have photos?

Most likely it now truly will be an 'off road only' machine. Probably with a rattle can paint job.
McB is online now   Reply With Quote