Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #31
Hemuli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Nice to hear that you made it to UK.
I will keep on following this post.
Now just need to keep fingers crossed that bike arrives without any problems.

-Hemuli

Facebook:WhereIsHemuli
Hemuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #32
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemuli View Post
Nice to hear that you made it to UK.
I will keep on following this post.
Now just need to keep fingers crossed that bike arrives without any problems.

-Hemuli
The bike is here already, been available for two weeks :-)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.H Jackson Brown
Europe trip 2014 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971014
young1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #33
nunoajc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hi. I live in Faro. If you need any assistance or just drink a beer, please dont hesitate. Have a Nice trip.

Enviado do meu ME173X através de Tapatalk
nunoajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #34
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoajc View Post
Hi. I live in Faro. If you need any assistance or just drink a beer, please dont hesitate. Have a Nice trip.

Enviado do meu ME173X através de Tapatalk
Sounds good thank you, we will be in touch regarding meeting up for a beer :-)

Kiwi Mike
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.H Jackson Brown
Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #35
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,896
Hi Mike,
go to the Nurburgring if you can. It wasn't on my plan but it was amazing riding around and was one of the highlights of my trip.

Matt

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #36
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hi Mike,
go to the Nurburgring if you can. It wasn't on my plan but it was amazing riding around and was one of the highlights of my trip.

Matt
Thank you Matt, that sounds like a cunning plan (although I am not sure the drivers will appreciate me wobbling around their track as a mobile chicane). I understand you can pay and be driven around in a BMW, depending on how the budget is looking then that could be an option.

Kiwi Mike

young1 screwed with this post 05-06-2014 at 06:16 AM
Old 05-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #37
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

This will (all going well) be the last "non riding" update as I pick up KT tomorrow and head to France.

A cultural day today (in other words the effects of the London Pride from last night slowed me down), went to Science Museum, National History museum and very briefly the Victoria and Albert museums.

Also found myself shopping in Bond St, definitely out of my price range, one jeweller had a ring for over 750,000 pounds(!) and walking through St James and Green Parks

Anyway some pictures.

Mum this is the bed and breakfast where I am staying. As you can see it is very popular, a lot of people wanting to stay there.

Luckily some soldiers and bands arrived to move them on.

Christine tell John that I was tempted to buy him this 3100 pound bottle of whiskey but that would have put me over my duty free allowance, anyway isn't it the thought that counts?

I managed to use my Kiwi skill and charm to join the suits in the 3000 pounds per year RAC club. Awesome to see Ayrton Senna's car on display. Unfortunately my zip off pants stood out and I was (very) soon asked to leave (the club has an Olympic size pool in the basement).

And Leanne please tell Mark (our butcher) that Fortnam and Masons don't sell Chesdale cheese, everything else though!

Zoom zoom tomorrow!!

Kiwi Mike

young1 screwed with this post 05-06-2014 at 09:40 AM
Old 05-07-2014, 03:08 AM   #38
nunoajc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
Sounds good thank you, we will be in touch regarding meeting up for a beer :-)

Kiwi Mike
ok. I know you have done your homework about your visit in Portugal , but i would like to give you some advice, if you dont mind. Im at work now, so when arrive home i can do that. Have a nice ride and ride safe.
nunoajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:51 AM   #39
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thunderbirds are go!

Bonjour from France. Have been in France for 10 minutes and nearly went around a roundabout the wrong way, I rode through a red light and stepped out in front of a scooter when crossing the road as I was looking the wrong way. I have to remember that in Europe they drive on the right (I better learn that very quick).

Am waiting for lunch to arrive, I know it is a chicken something, as I recognised Poulet, but not sure what else is coming with it.

Anyway inmates the BIG news today is that I now have a bike, it started okay and I have found my way to France.

Leaving the warehouse in Gravesend

About to board the Chunnel train

140km/hr under the Channel

Small town France, stopped to find somewhere for lunch.

(Leanne I have put my watch forward one hour so for Skyping I am now 10 hours behind you)

By the way my lunch has arrived, it appears to be a bagel filled with salad, chicken and bacon.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #40
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
Thank you Matt, that sounds like a cunning plan (although I am not sure the drivers will appreciate me wobbling around their track as a mobile chicane). I understand you can pay and be driven around in a BMW, depending on how the budget is looking then that could be an option.

Kiwi Mike
"I have a cunning plan m'lord........."

Ride it mate - I was on a '91 flying brick with all the luggage. Got passed on both sides and shat myself a couple of times but I was happy I passed one vehicle - a bus.

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #41
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
"I have a cunning plan m'lord........."

Nice, only a Baldrick (Black Adder) fan would have picked that up :-)
Old 05-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #42
iny46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Welcome in Europe Mike
you know there are a bed and some beer for you in the near of Munich

http://www.mittelerde-mit-dem-motorrad.de
iny46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #43
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
The "plat du jour" or daily special is often a very good deal in cafe's or bistros. One of the things I enjoy about France is participating in what I call "courtesy rituals." For example, in a shop or a petro station/mini mart you may see a tray or small plate on the counter. If, so, place your money on the tray instead of handing it to the cashier directly. They will take up your money, and put the change on the tray for you to take. In large supermarkets, however, I have found that a direct hand to hand transfer is the norm. Expect to be greeted in any shop or store you enter, so get into a regular habit of saying "Bonjour" to just about every one you meet! Even if you lack confidence in French, I recommend trying to use it as I have found that people appreciate any well-meaning attempt I make to speak their language, and that once I have shown my respect thus, they will often switch to English to make things easier. Just my 2 pence based on my experience. Have a wonderful trip! I'll be following in spirit!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #44
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
The "plat du jour" or daily special is often a very good deal in cafe's or bistros. One of the things I enjoy about France is participating in what I call "courtesy rituals." For example, in a shop or a petro station/mini mart you may see a tray or small plate on the counter. If, so, place your money on the tray instead of handing it to the cashier directly. They will take up your money, and put the change on the tray for you to take. In large supermarkets, however, I have found that a direct hand to hand transfer is the norm. Expect to be greeted in any shop or store you enter, so get into a regular habit of saying "Bonjour" to just about every one you meet! Even if you lack confidence in French, I recommend trying to use it as I have found that people appreciate any well-meaning attempt I make to speak their language, and that once I have shown my respect thus, they will often switch to English to make things easier. Just my 2 pence based on my experience. Have a wonderful trip! I'll be following in spirit!
I know a smattering of French and have been saying bonjour, merci beaucoup, tre bien, Bon nui (all possibly spelt wrong here but you get the idea).

Where I am staying tonight the woman knows a wee bit more English than I do French. At times I feel like I am in an episode of Allo Allo, but with lots of charade moves etc. but we get there. It is part of the excitement and learning with travel.

After many kilometres in motorways today it was a delight to ride the little lanes between here and Ypres tonight.

Thank you Blader

Kiwi Mike

young1 screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 02:45 PM
Old 05-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #45
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iny46 View Post
Welcome in Europe Mike
you know there are a bed and some beer for you in the near of Munich
Thanks Andreas, would be great to catch up and as I get closer to Germany in, wow, almost 3 months time I will try and head your way. I will build up a thirst just in case :-)

Mike