ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #46
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I'm not a fan of these tires

I've only got about 3k or so on my K60 150/70 rear and it's shot. It's developing cracks etc and not much tread left on the middle section.

On top of that they're heavy and don't have much grip in the dirt. They did handle nice on the road when new though.

I think the mefo super explorer is better. It got flat in the center too, but lasted longer and had better grip.
BigTony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #47
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Wow! I am shocked that anybody could wear a rear out in 3000 miles. I have over 10k on mine. Not down to the wear bars yet. Bet I could get another 3 or 4 k out of it.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #48
AJ990R
motorcycle guy

Oddometer: 208
my .02

Think I got 7600mi out of this rear, rode it for an entire day showing tread, 500mi, carried that spare rear since AK. Knew it wouldn't make it home with out popping
Sunday eve in Montana, broke the bead with the sidestand. Lubrication and little patience is key for seating the bead(my lil crappy pump seated it with 50psi). If it didn't seat...i'd fit it & ride!

not the best tire for the dirt, I agree.

A little trick I learned from Craig of CJD, hot knife it & make your own damn tread! Its one nice thick carcass to work with.

I used a box cutter on this rear(Colorado trip, 2300mi in or so, nice to ride out of the Midwest & back on the same tire)

Cheers
Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #49
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
OK mine at 3K is definitely not as worn as AJ990R's - that's a spent tire there!
BigTony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #50
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

You guys are animals. I ran mine at 35 and 35. Didn't get the center wear shown in the pic.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #51
OldTriumphRider
Livin the Dream

Oddometer: 128
Just spent the last of the back one yesterday at 22000 km, rocks gave it a hiding

In my 45 plus years of riding , thats got to be the most used up tire I ever seen!

I watched a guy changing tires on utube and he used baby powder on the in side of the tire and on the tube , put a little air in tube to take out the wrinkles before putting it in the tire and used Windex for lube...
That was a couple years ago and I been doing it that way ever since ...had good luck...even carry a little bottle of Windex and powder in my tool pack!
Never to old to learn!
Old 04-16-2014, 12:31 AM   #52
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdog View Post
Can someone tell something good about these tires...

Someone has to have had or having good use of these tires ?????
It's my favorite tire.i run them front and rear (with the front reversed) and I have had zero problems. They bead up good for me too.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #53
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
I quite often find I'm mounting them dry, I have three Motion Pro tyre levers but the 13mm one with the little lip on it is most used

I've fitted these with a bicycle pump, basically if you have a good pressure in it but it's not seated (I find forecourt airlines quit at 70psi which doesn't always do it) instead of mucking about with deflating and re-inflating etc just turn the key in the ignition and ride off up the road, this generates heat and the centripetal force finishes the job, bit lumpy for 2-3 minutes but that is it, job done

This was a Heidanau I swapped out at 17,000 miles due to a sidewall puncture on the Autobahn at 90mph, I was able to ride the next few miles to a service station thanks to that stiff sidewall although the exploded tube was practically on fire!

Handily I had a Mefo on the rear rack and you can see the difference in height between the used and new rubber! I think I can say the handling was improved

I find them a very versatile tyre, the rear especially! my only gripe is wet asphalt where they give little clue as to when they break away compared to other tyres
stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #54
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Breaking Heidenau bead

On the road in Cambodia last week, circumnavigating the border with Vietnam, Thailand, and Laos. Two rear flats in 2200 klms. One from a torn out valve stem, the other from a nail induced puncture.

Not a problem, merely an inconvenience. Check out the youtube video clip using a set of Motion Pro Bead Breaker tools. They are awesome. Light, strong, and easily break the bead on my KTM990R OEM rim and a Heidenau 150/70/18 K60

http://youtu.be/4R4aPJNGTkk
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #55
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 310
Yamalube Tire Mount Lube - Amazing product that starts slick, then turns slightly tacky. I mounted many horribly stiff tires with it, and never had seating issues like with soapy water. Never met a bead I couldn't seat and never spun a flat on the rim.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/yamalub.../11334/details

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #56
snowmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Slidenow Tires

what pressures are you all running and on what terrain? I just put a set on my 950 adv try to find a balance for rocky vs sandy vs road, i get lots of pinch flats if I go too low.
snowmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #57
pantah81
work & travel

Oddometer: 5
Thumb I consider the K60s a good compromise

I have now the second set of Heidenau K60 Scout on my KTM 690 and consider them the best compromise for my needs.

On a trip to Romania with my friend on a BMW 1150 GS and the KTM we had quite a selection of tracks, from not really intended single-track to the Transfagarasan mountain road with perfect tarmac north and a hell of a worn-out road south. We both had K60 Scout installed and were happy with the performance.

Otherwise they have mostly been used for daily commuting about 40 km to Munich each turn in any weather with some occasional gravel.

For real off-road use they have clear limitations, but I got a spare set of wheels with Metzler FIM tyres.

Manual mounting has been no real problem so far. I try to stick to the advise of my dealer (previous ISDE participant) that the need for brute force is a strong indication that something is wrong.

Btw, the Heidenau K60 90/90-21 is also available as snow tyre in a high silica compound. For wet & cold conditions this was the best tyre ever for that service.Unfortunately the 140/80-18 is no more available.

But, if things turn out as planned, I won't need snow tyres in Mexico.
pantah81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #58
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 23,277
Latest victim picked up a staple and ran flat for a while. Could not break the bead even with 3 guys bouncing a F800GS up and down on the sidewall using the sidestand.

Utlimately had to bring the entire rear wheel into town and have a shop use a hydraulic press to break the bead.

Hey Heidenau:

sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #59
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Does not look like fun. You guys know what you are doing. I have broken down the 150 on my KTM 4 or 5 times by myself, with no problems. I did notice that I had to work at it a little more patiently--work slowly around the rim, maybe 2 times around before it finally dropped.

FWIW
Old 05-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #60
rolo tomassi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Cheapest heidiehow source?
rolo tomassi is offline   Reply With Quote