User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
tanker253 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
5x8 enclosed trailer?

Big question. Has anybody fit their 990 into a 5x8 enclosed trailer? I've got a 990 adventure and a WR250R and want to use an enclosed 5x8 with a V nose to haul them around. I've measured and in theory it works. Just trying to keep the trailer as small as possible.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
like2lean
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I can carry 1 large bike or 2 sport bikes easily. The 990 and 250 would be too wide.
like2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Maybe consider facing one bike backwards in the trailer - keeps the handlebars from interfering with each other. Or maybe remove the handlebars? Might make loading an interesting experience...
Old 05-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
wcohl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I think you should be fine. I have a 5x8 open trailer and have carried 3 Yamaha FJ 1200s. No part of the bikes went beyond the 5x8 footprint, but we did have to remove some turn signals and muffler cans.

I like using the Pingle brand wheel chocks. The front wheel doesn't move and they brake rotors don't touch.
wcohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,817
Open trailers let bars hang out and use more space outside the walls....but....
5 years ago, I loaded #2 XR650R's and a new 1200GSA into a 4x10 trailer with all luggage not attached....so I vote....Easey Peasey.....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,232
I have exactly what the OP was asking for. A 5x8 vnose Haulmark enclosed trailer. My 990 takes up most of it, but I can get two bikes inside if I place one forward and one backward. I use staggered wheel chalks located at the front of the trailer and etrek along the sides for stability.

I wouldn't recommend two bikes (especially the large 990) in the little trailer though. Like I say, I've done it, but you inevitably get bar ends banging off each other, or in my case, I put a hole in the interior wood of the trailer front a loose bar. The bikes are so far to the outside, they dont' have a good angle on the tie downs, so they can move more than they should. Also, when I did move my 990 along with my 1972 Daytona, I put a piece of carpet between the bikes to prevent them from making contact.

Long story short, it's posible, but I dont' recommend it. I usually only travel with one large bike in the 5x8 or two smaller ones.

EDIT: I also have an open 5x8 trailer, and I've hauled my buddies Super Enduro and my 990 Adventure on it acrossed the midwest with no issue. You gain a lot of space by not having four walls on the trailer. Pulls a LOT better too with my wee Chevy Colorado.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
FtheRedSticker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I think u would be fine but the v nose is gonna cost u some space. Personally I'd look for a 6x10 enclosed. You'll always wish u had more space for gear. The v nose is not going to save your gas mileage. What kills my gas mileage with my 24 footer is the extended height. Get a low profile enclosed if mcs are the only vehicles u plan to haul.
FtheRedSticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,495
I had a 5x8 clamshell type trailer, I could get one of my bikes in it but would not have tried 2.

I now have a 6x10 and have plenty of room for 2.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,672
My 5x8 experience with the 950 sucked ... mirror stalks were too tall (had to remove them) and I *think* the windshield had to come off, too, just to easily get the bike into the trailer.

Do yourself a favor and go bigger than you think you need .... I moved up to a 6x12 single axle which I can stand up in without hitting my head, and there's plenty of room for the bike, as well as moving around in there when the bike is loaded. Front side door helps a LOT.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
I had a 6x12. Perfect size if you asked me. Not too big, not too small. Room for gear, a lawn tractor, whatever.
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote