ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #5401
1chrisb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
mxchamp, I'm actually thinking about relocating to AZ as well, in August. Mine would be a complete job change though, no transferring. :O

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
1chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #5402
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,420
Nice user name cuz you will be Chrispy when you get down there!!

Okay gentlemen. I stand corrected. If Van Wall is the place to go then go for it.

I've never dealt with VW on anything. Bought 9 BMW's from Gina's and have never once had a problem.

My last BMW Trevor bought and that was 3 years ago so maybe things have changed in Iowa City since then. I personally did my own services at home. Must have done okay because my old 08 is still running!!

:)

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #5403
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Quite the emotional roller coaster yesterday. The initial plan was to take a 1/2 day of work and meet Mow-ree at Bluff Creek around noon. I get a call early yesterday to find out that Mow-ree has to work in Dubuque all morning and can't make it down til much later.

So, my half day of work becomes a full day. And no Bluff Creek in my near future. However, Mowree gets done with work early and can head this way with his DR650. It's too late in the day to make it all the way down to Bluff Creek, but Tama is between me and him and so we decide to meet there. I head out of work, hop on the XR650 and am on my way to Tama by 4:30.

Mowree is on his first lap of the MX track when I get there. Perfect timing. I take a lap around the track and head into the woods. The weather is great and I'm having fun bombing through the woods and splashing through puddles. I'm just getting through the first woods section am about to cross under the highway to get to the bulk of the trail system when I see a couple of concrete culvert obstacles. That looks, like fun, so I loop around and hit them. After crossing the 2nd culvert, I see a large mud puddle. It's about 6' wide and probably 20' long. I'm thinking it's 6" deep max. I was wrong.

Mowree was following me, and thankfully his GoPro was running. I haven't uploaded any video, but here's a screen shot of the bike fully sumberged:

And this shows how deep the water really was:

Drowned my bike and ended my day at the OHV park after riding for less than 5 minutes. I get to spend this evening draining all my fluids and hoping that my bike didn't suffer any permanent damage.

Tama isn't the greatest OHV park, my Mow-ree told me that any riding would be better than no riding. I'm thinking that I have to disagree with that!
I really want to be supportive and everything but each time I look at those screenshots, I start snickering like a 3rd grader who just heard a dirty joke in class...
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #5404
WolvesLower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Quite the emotional roller coaster yesterday. The initial plan was to take a 1/2 day of work and meet Mow-ree at Bluff Creek around noon. I get a call early yesterday to find out that Mow-ree has to work in Dubuque all morning and can't make it down til much later.

So, my half day of work becomes a full day. And no Bluff Creek in my near future. However, Mowree gets done with work early and can head this way with his DR650. It's too late in the day to make it all the way down to Bluff Creek, but Tama is between me and him and so we decide to meet there. I head out of work, hop on the XR650 and am on my way to Tama by 4:30.

Mowree is on his first lap of the MX track when I get there. Perfect timing. I take a lap around the track and head into the woods. The weather is great and I'm having fun bombing through the woods and splashing through puddles. I'm just getting through the first woods section am about to cross under the highway to get to the bulk of the trail system when I see a couple of concrete culvert obstacles. That looks, like fun, so I loop around and hit them. After crossing the 2nd culvert, I see a large mud puddle. It's about 6' wide and probably 20' long. I'm thinking it's 6" deep max. I was wrong.

Mowree was following me, and thankfully his GoPro was running. I haven't uploaded any video, but here's a screen shot of the bike fully sumberged:

And this shows how deep the water really was:

Drowned my bike and ended my day at the OHV park after riding for less than 5 minutes. I get to spend this evening draining all my fluids and hoping that my bike didn't suffer any permanent damage.

Tama isn't the greatest OHV park, my Mow-ree told me that any riding would be better than no riding. I'm thinking that I have to disagree with that!
OH MY! What a surprise!
WolvesLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #5405
Mow-ree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
I really want to be supportive and everything but each time I look at those screenshots, I start snickering like a 3rd grader who just heard a dirty joke in class...
I was eyeing that puddle up myself, and it looked like it was a couple inches deep. I was almost as shocked as Gravity was in it swallowed him and his bike! And given that he and the bike are fine, I think we can have a little laugh at him.....he did post it after all!
Mow-ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #5406
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
Thanks for the input on VW. I'm going to give them a shot and will report back. The RT has been sitting for a couple years and it just needs a full going-over. I'm sure it won't be cheap but oh well...

Side note: The only dealer I have experience with is in Omaha. They always did right by me.
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #5407
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow-ree View Post
And given that he and the bike are fine..
Yeah, me and my bike are fine. And to think that some people pay big bucks for a mud bath in a sauna. I got mine for free!

And, as a bonus, my bike now dispenses chocolate milkshakes!

I see it as a win/win!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #5408
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
Well, here's the rest of the video. It's tough to see, but as soon as I hit the puddle, the front wheel drops and stops in the mud. Great way to cut a day short!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #5409
MotoProf
Adventurer

Well, I didn't submerge my bike on this B level near Amana Colonies last weekend, but came darn close to dropping the beast in the grease...

MotoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #5410
FreeHugger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
nice

MotoProf that is a very sharp looking 800gs. Well played.

2005 R1200GS

o-?o
FreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #5411
Hundreddollarbill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Gs

Nice looking GS, I most like the custom map holder. Hehe. I may have to use that one.
Hundreddollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #5412
MotoProf
Adventurer

I think it's time for a tank bag, right? Any suggestions for picking one up locally or is internet best way to go? I want something that displays a paper map well...
Old 05-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #5413
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoProf View Post
I think it's time for a tank bag, right? Any suggestions for picking one up locally or is internet best way to go? I want something that displays a paper map well...

I have a Wolfman, have had it for four years now. They hold maps quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW MOA# 192310
scooter noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #5414
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoProf View Post
Well, I didn't submerge my bike on this B level near Amana Colonies last weekend, but came darn close to dropping the beast in the grease...

Is that the road by the river just south of Amana off of 151? One of my faves but nasty when it's wet.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #5415
MotoProf
Adventurer

Engineman, it is that road. pretty torn up now after the rains. there is another B level just south of South Amana, as well as a long section along the river that is fun. let me know if you wantvto ride it sometime.