ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #66076
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Mark-

General thoughts on the KTM 300 EXC platform, specifically an older one ('98)?

I've done the internet research, which leads me to believe it is the greatest bike ever made... or the worst ...

- Other Mark
I don't know much about that generation. My last 250exc (2-stroke) was a 2004, which was the 1st year of that chassis generation (next update was in 2008, IIRC). That is as old as I'd want to go. For one thing, parts compatibility and availability is better (brake pads, wheel bearings, spare wheels, etc). KTMs got a big upgrade in chassis and suspension specs in '03 and '04, compared to prior years. I think the '98 used the conventional 50mm forks, which are actually great for trail riding, from what I understand. Not sure about the rear suspension though. KTM has continuously evolved it's PDS (linkless) design over the years, so the newer the better.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #66077
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Skill level is not relevent. A properly jetted bike is easier to ride for a novice too.

What spring rates are you going with, and how much do you weigh? I'm 200lbs and I swapped the springs out after the first ride.
I'm about 225-230 geared up. I went with a 9.2 straight rate for the shock and 0.46 fork springs. I did a lot of research on ktmtalk and those seemed on par with some of the online calculators, a few say a little stiffer. I'd rather err on the soft side. There seems to be some controversy about using a straight rate vs. progessive, figured I'd try straight rate first. I've just started to notice that the suspension is a little soft, guess that means I'm progressing. Need to grab a couple qts of 5wt at the dealership to change fork oil at the same time.

Stock is 8.0 on the shock and 0.42 in the forks. Supposed to be setup for a 160-170-ish rider.

ruppster screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 06:45 AM
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #66078
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
I'm about 225-230 geared up. I went with a 9.2 straight rate for the shock and 0.46 fork springs. I did a lot of research on ktmtalk and those seemed on par with some of the online calculators, a few say a little stiffer. I'd rather err on the soft side. There seems to be some controversy about using a straight rate vs. progessive, figured I'd try straight rate first. I've just started to notice that the suspension is a little soft, guess that means I'm progressing. Need to grab a couple qts of 5wt at the dealership to change fork oil at the same time.

Stock is 8.0 on the shock and 0.42 in the forks. Supposed to be setup for a 160-170-ish rider.
I got racetech springs for my KTM which has PDS shock and 4CS forks. The shock spring is progressive and that's what racetech recommend. I erred on the soft side too hoping that I'd lose some weight. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #66079
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I got racetech springs for my KTM which has PDS shock and 4CS forks. The shock spring is progressive and that's what racetech recommend. I erred on the soft side too hoping that I'd lose some weight. ;)
Racetech also tends to be twards the stiffer side of suspension from my experience.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #66080
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Racetech also tends to be twards the stiffer side of suspension from my experience.
That was what I read. Mine are 1 click softer than their recommended.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #66081
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Ruppster, I have to look, but I'm pretty sure I'm running a 9.2 on the rear also. The stock fork springs are actually .44 (some of the online calcs are wrong). The 2-strokes have .42 stock. I swapped in a .48 spring in one of the fork legs, for an effective .46 rate. My geared up weight is the same as yours, so you should be golden. 8mm of preload on that shock spring should get you very close on the sag numbers.

The progressive vs straight rate debate is like choosing which oil is best. Run what you like. But, having owned 5 PDS bikes now, with progressive shock springs on 2 of them, I have to say the straight rates perform better. The shock is valved to increase damping later in the stroke, hence the term PDS (Progressive Damping System). So unless you change the secondary piston and valving, I think the shock becomes too stiff with progressive springs. I also think you should run more rider sag with the progressive spring, to counteract some of this harshness. However, this will make the bike steer slower, so you have to raise the forks in the triple clamps to lower the front end an equal amount. I think places like Race Tech push their progressive springs because A) they cost more and B) they want you to get your shock revalved with their parts ($$). I also think people who do a lot of jumping (MX and GNCC type racing) might prefer the progressive springs for their increased bottoming resistance, but with the linkage suspension available now, that's not an issue for the newer bikes.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #66082
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,252
Damn, I think I'm starting to like Mark more than Mike...lol

OhioPT vs mgorman
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #66083
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Damn, I think I'm starting to like Mark more than Mike...lol

OhioPT vs mgorman
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...nSQwLlrC191zVg

It just seems so appropriate right now..

Stop hogging the wall Indy.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #66084
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
Lucky's Grille has a great Fried Bologna sammich. It's in Hilliard at Roberts and Hilliard-Rome rds.
Good catch! I've been friends with the owners of Lucky's since I was in high school.

If ya wanna get a bologna sammich, though, ya gotta make the trek up to Waldo at least once for a famous bologna sammich at the G&R Tavern.

Quote:
Did you pick the food places for the Ramble...lol I didn't get to go this year due to going to Renfro Valley DS but I'm sure you guys had fun...
Funny - we ate dinner both nights at the Mexican joint that's within walking distance of Ramble Central.

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #66085
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 588
Fork Spring compressor

I cant find my *%#%^*( #@*&( cartridge fork spring compressor. I think I loaned it out in AZ.

Anyone have a Fork Spring Compressor I could use? I will have to buy a new one $149.00 race tech.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #66086
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Mark-

I've done the internet research, which leads me to believe it is the greatest bike ever made... or the worst ...

- Other Mark
I've had a few of those. The forks were pretty ok in the woods, motor was generally ok. Get it cheap though, as you'll probably need to put a few bucks in it...
I think I still have a reed cage and kit for one of those...
If not jetted properly, they can be a little fickle to start.
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #66087
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 534
Quote:

- Other Mark
The one I had was a 93' and ended up having a bum (and hard to find/replace) ignition. I think the 98 had a better ignition. Mine was like a 3-stroke. I could kinda lug it like a four stroke but it'd absolutely rip on the pipe. I'm throwing around the idea of trying to trade my 640 for another one and some cash. I miss the light weight and simple maintenance.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #66088
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,607
Had fun today, although 555 didn't really live up to the hype. Took 22 to zanesville, 555 to the end by little hocking, the 339, 78, 800, and back on 22 getting home. About 320 or 350 miles, somewhere in there. The stock seat sucks, my ass hurts already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #66089
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Did 555 have much crap on it?
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #66090
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Had fun today, although 555 didn't really live up to the hype.

555 is like US129 (aka the Dragon/tail of the Dragon) in that it's more of a challenge than it is a really fun road. There are some sections that flow nicely, but they are few and far between. There are also some hairy sections that can bite your ass if you aren't paying attention...particularly if there's gravel/cinders/sticks/leaves/amish road apples or other debris in a shadowy, off-camber corner.

I make a point of riding 555 at least once a season, as an exercise in keeping my skills sharp. Another good road for that is 26 between Marietta and Woodsfield.

if you want a road that flows well for lots of miles, try picking up 550 going east from 33. you've already found 78, which has some fun sections...

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote