User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #76
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Cry

:QUOTE=chadscamaro;24122555]If it was really dusty and inside had a coating of dust you may want to at least make dealer aware. Mine only has 1800 miles less than half off road and only 1 really dusty 2 day 550 mile trip with about 150 or so miles of dusty roads and my engine will be out of my bike tomorrow for KTM to figure out the next step because its toast![/QUOTE]

radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #77
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,271
Start calling

And emailing Ktm USA and bitch. Ask wtf they are going to do. Around the world the r got a two year warranty and not till after I got the bike did I find out it was one year. The dealer did not even know. Still love the bike and it's been great so far. They need to fix the damn thing
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #78
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
not till after I got the bike did I find out it was one year. The dealer did not even know.
Same exact thing with mine. I'm not giving it back though!!!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:49 AM   #79
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

Just a word of warning, I suspect that if this goes to court for some of you guys, then having worked on your own bike may void the warranty. Especially if the issue was the airbox crap and they then claim you did not fit the airbox back together correctly. Just a thought though
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #80
okeanis1234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Is there any official opinion from KTM about the airbox issue?
I have never riden offroad,but i am still upset...I don't want my new bike to have a rebuilt engine,even if i will not pay anything.
okeanis1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #81
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

I called

They don't know shit just like always. Left a message to call back and they did. Spoke to a person and asked what they are going to do. He will ask around ( new air box fixed it) Also asked about the cold start issue as I even have part numbers for the cable up grade. Asked why my dealer can't get them he as always does not know

Start calling and ask what they are going to do other than say I don't know
Old 05-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #82
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,003
Just Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
They don't know shit just like always. Left a message to call back and they did. Spoke to a person and asked what they are going to do. He will ask around ( new air box fixed it) Also asked about the cold start issue as I even have part numbers for the cable up grade. Asked why my dealer can't get them he as always does not know

Start calling and ask what they are going to do other than say I don't know
I've got a Multi you can buy

Seriously, I'd decided to wait a year before getting an 1190 R, glad I
did considering this issue.

Hopefully Rottweiler will have a filter system and tune together by the
time I'm ready to buy.

Max
Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #83
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Lol right.....I do miss it

I will dump the air box when that's out. I don't think the 15 will be really any different so I'm glad I get to ride a fantastic bike. I have had the uni in it from the get go
Old 05-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #84
pwh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Just ordered mine directly from Oz as well.

Going to open up my airbox and snap some photos tonight.
pwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #85
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwh View Post
Just ordered mine directly from Oz as well.

Going to open up my airbox and snap some photos tonight.
mine looked clean until I ran my fingers down the velocity stacks and then it was obvious that dust was making it through. I only have 1700 miles and none in dusty conditions so I think everything is OK. If you haven't looked yet I would definitely take the time to do so.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #86
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

I went to ultimate performance today, I had a talk with the mechanic. He told me that they had adjusted the valves and I can pick up the bike tomorrow.
I asked him about the rest of the motor and it looked like he didn't know what I was talking about. I then mentioned the damage from the dust and he just said that he doesnt see how that can damage the engine. I was going to have a chat with the owner but I was close to losing my temper, so I walked out and will resume this fucking joke tomorrow when I go and fetch the bike. He didn't even mention the air filter so I dont think it was even changed to a new one.

If this is the case then I am going to have a nice long talk with the owner there, I will ask for a new motor. If they refuse I wil take this to KTM SA if such a thing exists and take my bike elsewhere for any further work to be done. The head mechanic at Trax KTM told me that he fits the DNA filter before the bikes leave the showroom, I believe this includes 2014 bikes. Ultimate performance told me the opposite.

Seriously thinking of selling and buying a LC GSA, just tired of the struggling to get anything done.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #87
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
1300 miles on mine - mostly testing in Baja and I have the same results

I too thought this was handled for the 2014s. Very disappointed for sure. Great way to ruin an amazing bike. I think the 12 mo warranty for the "R" model is BS as well.

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #88
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Sucks huh

Call Ktm USA and tell them. I did tell them the 1 year warranty sucks and was not even aware of it till a month after I got the bike . Let Ktm know

ebrew screwed with this post 05-09-2014 at 10:30 AM
Old 05-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #89
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMforget View Post
1300 miles on mine - mostly testing in Baja and I have the same results

I too thought this was handled for the 2014s. Very disappointed for sure. Great way to ruin an amazing bike. I think the 12 mo warranty for the "R" model is BS as well.
That's what mine looked like Kurt. Just put the Uni filter in it last night.

Roy
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #90
BlueDownton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Will call again

Just picked up my bike not too long ago and am still in the break-in period (love it, so much more aggressive than my GS). Since I am a research guy, I called yesterday concerning the air filter to ask for an update on the situation (KTM US) and was told there was none. The tone of the call was not what I was expecting. After reading the thread, I understand why. Now that I know the Uni voids the warranty, I will call again and make another pitch, as mine is in the mail and planning to be installed next week. At this price range, you should not have to wait for a problem that you know will happen to get a fix (only to really fix it after the warranty expires and other damage done, let alone a lack of confidence in a new vehicle). Does anyone have an email address for KTM US as opposed to a phone number and address? Despite this, safe and happy riding to all.
BlueDownton is offline   Reply With Quote