Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #91
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Hm. I think that was the year I got kicked out of someone's booth for feeling up the mannequins. Stupid vendors take themselves way too seriously sometimes. I mean, experience has taught me to expect to get asked to leave Macy's for that, but a vendor booth at a racetrack? Sheesh.
Well, that mannequin was somebody's daughter.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #92
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
what are the "detuned" liter bikes like to ride? like the CBR1000R, FZ1, and Ninja 1000? are they "just a taste" of their faster counterparts are can they up and hustle almost just as well?

do they blast off, too?

the FZ1 may be "detuned," but it will still peel your face off. 85+ in 1st. first time i took it on the highway, i was in 4th at around 65mph, hit some open highway, punched it, went warpspeed blurry, looked down at the speedometer, and was doing 130, still in 4th, in a matter of a couple seconds. it'll also float the front a couple inches off the ground for surprisingly long distances in almost every gear (in first and second with much less than full throttle). and unlike all the recent literbikes, there's no abs or traction control or power modes. it's just you and the throttle.

as to the 600 v 1000 thing, I'd wager that in real world conditions, a 1000 wont be faster anywhere other than the straights, and only marginally faster on a timed closed "real world" course of twisties or anything else other than long straight highway.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #93
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post

as to the 600 v 1000 thing, I'd wager that in real world conditions, a 1000 wont be faster anywhere other than the straights, and only marginally faster on a timed closed "real world" course of twisties or anything else other than long straight highway.
I'd think that in "real world" situations most any torquey bike of similar displacement will feel quicker than either a 600 or 1000cc supersport. Which is more or less why they retune the engines for naked street versions (as with the s1000r).

Factor in traffic, and a bike tuned for the street will "walk away" from the other two at stoplights and filtering through ~35mph traffic, simply because it can squirt into openings without touching the clutch. Maybe the 1000cc supersport will have a slight advantage on the occasional onramp, but give me a bike with a wide power band any day.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #94
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,699
Seems like the solution is a V-twin superbike, then.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #95
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Seems like the solution is a V-twin superbike, then.

yup. the Panigale has the best sounding exhaust of all the literbikes anyway ;)
close tie with an RSV4R with a GP can
Old 05-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #96
ZiaThunder
Go big or go home

Oddometer: 564
Quote:

Oh the Panigale is a BLAST to ride, but it really shouldn't be allowed on the street. Just getting on that thing makes you ride stupid. At first, I didn't even realize how much of a squid I was being the times I took one out on the street. It wants to be ridden that way.

ZiaThunder screwed with this post 05-11-2014 at 09:25 AM
ZiaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #97
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

I think it's possible many of the top tier of power bikes shouldnt be allowed on the street. I'd just want the 899, anyway
Old 05-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #98
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Just for a bit of fun, say I wanted to test the speed comparison between say a liter bike and say a comparable 600cc bike, and selected a real world public road (closed) with a bit of everything thrown in to see how they compared. You'd need to have a decent distance, something like just under 40 miles.

So my question is how much quicker do people think a high performance 1000cc bike would cover the 40 miles of real world roads compared to a comparable 600cc bike?

10 minites?
5 minutes?
1 minute?
14.1 seconds?
Did something similar(road wasn't closed, but traffic wasn't around). Definitely not IOM TT stuff. I was riding the gf's GSXR750 following a buddy on his S1000RR. Comparable riding skills. If the road was pretty twisty I kept pace. If there were straights or long flowing sweepers, he could walk away from me. There is one particular uphill section of sweepers call Horsepower Hill. It was readily apparent the S1000RR had more juice ascending. I've been on the same stretch on several liter bikes and there is a noticeable difference on how hard you could accelerate while riding that section of the mountain vs. a smaller bike.

At the end of the ride how far apart were we? A few seconds. Granted it wasn't completely gonzo riding either. I used to "jump to warp" a lot, anymore I tend to focus on being fast through the twisties and not blasting the straights. There are a few long straights where my buddy on the S1000RR could have rung it out to ludicrous speeds and added a few more seconds if I was willing to do the same on the GSXR.

The liter bikes just have more area under the curve when it comes to power band and riding in the range that I think most of us use compared to smaller cc bikes. That's why I chose the RC8R for my latest bike. Not the highest HP of the liter bikes out there, but a fairly fat power band coupled to a sweet chassis. It's quick(deceptively so), but doesn't scream like the I4's do when twisted to the stop and held there.

That being said, my next track day bike will probably be a 600.
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
rpmwfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #99
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
i am not familiar with Ducati but was surprised to find one of their 1200's is a two cylinder that can 0 - 60mph in under 3 seconds. wtf is up with that? are they torquey, too? i would think?

anyway very interesting engine design and power. i wonder what the advantage / disadvantage is over a I4? funny looking engine, too. what with that one cylinder almost laying flat. probably more common design then i realize but what do i know!! looks more an L then a V....

Old 05-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #100
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,374
There are a lot of 90 degree L twins.

SV650

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #101
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

oh, and i think i am starting to understand all this "blinding acceleration warp speed" stuff. but to a lesser degree

this thread got me started watching youtube clips of liter bikes doing 0-100mph and its unreal how fast they get there. 6 sec is a solid average, it would seem. and even on video i cannot "see" the speed. it looks like....normal

i am beginning to understand and get excited at the potential because on my own bike (FZ6) i am having a similar experience, but at lower speed. however when riding down the street a couple of times and passing i have looked down to see 70mph several times lately. this has started since i shift less and when i don't go above 3rd gear. the bike just....goes. and i go with it, i suppose

but the sensation of 70mph is not there! i have looked down and thought '70mph? the speedo must have gone to KPH inadvertently." i have actually had to look down and squint for a sec because i am so sure it cannot be 70mph that quickly and smoothly

in a 40mph zone this will not do! maybe not even for passing. so i will tend my speedo a bit more as the power is easy, and so is the speed

i can just imagine a liter bike. lord have mercy!!

DudeClone screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 08:33 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #102
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
There are a lot of 90 degree L twins.

SV650

awesome i will check 'em out. makes me wonder why all those lowly cruiser engines don't bother to pump out....more of everything
Old 05-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #103
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Harley: turning fuel into sound without the benefit of horsepower for a century ;)

Ive read that the panigales actually have a pretty narrow powerband, and that you have to ride hard and shift a lot to stay in it.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #104
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,097
I think the other thing about warp speed is the noise, if you have a good helmet on and can hear the engine over the screaming hurricane force wind.....heaven.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #105
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
On the power spread thing, IMO anyone who thinks any twin has a wider power spread than a modern I-4 hyper sports 1000 is dreaming. That GSX-R I rode was pulling really hard at 4500, and at 12,000 I think it was still short of the power peak. They make good power to 14,000 or therabouts. 6-7K is just the lower end of the midrange and they sure r hauling there.

What they do lack compared with low-revving twins at the low-end is throttle response. Because they run huge throttle bodies, you feel less of a kick when u open them up under 5K. But that doesn't mean they're not pulling there. Line up your torquer twin beside one and you'd soon find that out.

I don't flatter myself that my Superbike engined Ducati with a stock 115rwhp has more go at 4K than a GSX-R1000 with a stock 160rwhp. Having stepped off one and onto the other, that I-4 had way more there.