User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
virusjohn OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
stella Alpina 2014, rat style

Hi guys, Me and my friend are planning on doing the Stella Aplina this year on our rats. We have a sensible ish plan sorted for a wednesday to wednesday round trip from Leicstershire, through france stopping for the first night somewhere near Troyes, Second night should be Geneva which Gives us friday to enjoy the alpine passes a bit on the way to Bardoneccia.

Ive got a few questions for some stella/alps veterans that would make our planning a bit easier.

Any recomended routes from Geneva to Bardoneccia? Current plan is to take the Saint Bernard Pass, through Pre-Saint-Didier, onto the Col De L'Iseran, then If I remember correctly the Col du Iozard (sp?) before catching the main A route at Venalzio onto Bardoneccia.

Also, Where abouts is the refuge that people apparently camp at ready for the Col Du Sommelier and are people there on the Friday?

Cheers
John
virusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusjohn View Post
Hi guys, Me and my friend are planning on doing the Stella Aplina this year on our rats. We have a sensible ish plan sorted for a wednesday to wednesday round trip from Leicstershire, through france stopping for the first night somewhere near Troyes, Second night should be Geneva which Gives us friday to enjoy the alpine passes a bit on the way to Bardoneccia.

Ive got a few questions for some stella/alps veterans that would make our planning a bit easier.

Any recomended routes from Geneva to Bardoneccia? Current plan is to take the Saint Bernard Pass, through Pre-Saint-Didier, onto the Col De L'Iseran, then If I remember correctly the Col du Iozard (sp?) before catching the main A route at Venalzio onto Bardoneccia.

Also, Where abouts is the refuge that people apparently camp at ready for the Col Du Sommelier and are people there on the Friday?

Cheers
John
How do you plan to get to St. Didier? Through the Mont Blanc? Not my idea of fun, but.....

The Petit St. Bernard is a cool ride and it brings you to Val d'Isere/Col de l'Iseran and then you can take the Col du Mont Cenis route to Susa. Turn right and there's Bardonecchia. Izoard is south of both Bardonecchia and Briancon.

My preference would be Geneve-Bonneville-La Clusaz-Flumet-Beaufort-Cormet de Roselend-Bourg St. Maurice, then to Val d-Isere and on. No tunnels, no autoroutes. From Roselend to Bourg is non-stop for 20+ minutes of shear pleasure.

No info on the Col du Sommelier.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
virusjohn OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi RT, Thanks for your tips.

This is the route Ive put together for Friday so far, All done with no local knowledge and simply picking the best looking roads on Bing maps between Geneva and Bardoneccia with an emphasis on avoiding Turin and as many main roads as possible.
Route

Not directly going through the Mont Blanc tunnel and paying attention to avoid the Frejus tunnel on advice about strict border guards and expensive tolls.

Any reason for avoiding tunnels in the area or is that just personal preference? I wouldnt mind a tunnel or 2 if they arent smog traps or expensive, I do like the sound of our bikes in tunnels.

Cheers
John
virusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Hi RT, Thanks for your tips.

This is the route Ive put together for Friday so far, All done with no local knowledge and simply picking the best looking roads on Bing maps between Geneva and Bardoneccia with an emphasis on avoiding Turin and as many main roads as possible.
Route

Not directly going through the Mont Blanc tunnel and paying attention to avoid the Frejus tunnel on advice about strict border guards and expensive tolls.

Any reason for avoiding tunnels in the area or is that just personal preference? I wouldnt mind a tunnel or 2 if they arent smog traps or expensive, I do like the sound of our bikes in tunnels.

Cheers
John
I wasn't able to see the route, all I got was a blank map.

AFAIK, there really isn't any possibility of going around Mont Blanc other than the route I suggested or going to Martigny, Switzerland, via Col de la Forclaz and then south to Aoste. The latter would work for you by turning west just before Aoste toward the Petit St. Bernard. Lots of traffic on the secondary roads but multiple tunnels on the autostrada (tolls) before you turn off at Morgex. Tis good fun there, I'm just not crazy about Mont Blanc/Frejus.

Both Mont Blanc and Frejus are expensive and very restrictive. Max speed is 70kps, you have to maintain spacing (100 meters IIRC), no passing, and they are very keen on those. Twelve/thirteen kms of boredom.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
kejago
Kev. Haute Savoie, France

Oddometer: 1,168
Still planning on going this July? I am based just across the border from Geneva, and if things go according to plan, will be making the trip again myself.

Where are you based?

K: Kejago - That's me!
T: Travel - Go on a journey, go on a voyage, go from one place to another
M: Machine - Man-made device made up of interconnected parts that work together to perform a given task or function
kejago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:

Cheers
John
An alternative to those cited could be Geneve ->Bonneville-La Clusaz->Col des Aravis->Flumet - Here you have to check if Col de l'Iseran is open - this winter was brutal as snow heights - if is open ->Beaufort->Cormet de Roselend:>Val d'isere, Col Iseran->Col Mont Cenis (do the dirt detour on the west side of lake) ->Susa->Bardonecchia

If Iseran is closed ->Flumet->Alberville->La Lechere->Col de la Madeleine->La Chambre->Col de la Croix de Fer->Bourg d'Oisans->Col Lautaret->Briançon-> Planpinet->Col de l'Echelle->Bardonecchia

The refuge is Rifugio Scarfiotti . 2046 metres

Usually open , lot of people camps around there - could be very cold.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
My preference would be Geneve-Bonneville-La Clusaz-Flumet-Beaufort-Cormet de Roselend-Bourg St. Maurice, then to Val d-Isere and on. No tunnels, no autoroutes. From Roselend to Bourg is non-stop for 20+ minutes of sheer pleasure.
How else would any sane person do it?
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
rolandrat
n00b

Oddometer: 6
@kejago

I'm roland the other half of this plan of devillish cunning and drunken stoopidity (its ok, we work together!)

we're based near leicester in england and yes, its still a goer :)
rolandrat is offline   Reply With Quote