Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,600
Nice work Y1 cool report
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #77
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Enjoying the report, thankyou. Also have a soft spot for the old Wankel engine! Bought my Dads RX2 off him years ago- a real minter. Unfortunately it was like my Kawasaki 750 H2 and was incapable of passing a petrol station without a visit. Your report has me hanging out for our trip to Europe next year.
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #78
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
Enjoying the report, thankyou. Also have a soft spot for the old Wankel engine! Bought my Dads RX2 off him years ago- a real minter. Unfortunately it was like my Kawasaki 750 H2 and was incapable of passing a petrol station without a visit. Your report has me hanging out for our trip to Europe next year.
Nice, I had an RX3 coupe, boy did that drink the fuel when towing a trailer with 3 bikes on. Love to have it now though.

Kiwi mike
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.
H Jackson Brown
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #79
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Hola from San Sebastián (Basque region of Spain)

Slept well last night after a couple of glasses of red, thank you Armand!

Had a nice ride through hectares and hectares of grape vines on the way to St Emillion. From my "expert" eye next year's vintage is going to be a classic

After some nice windy roads found I ended up on the motorway with the GPS telling me 185 km to the next turn :-(

I detoured into Biaritz to see where the beautiful people go to play. Luckily, or unluckily, not the nicest of days for them to be out. It is a nice town though.

Finding where my bnb was in San Sebastián was a bit of a mission. Apologies to those people I held up at the lights, yes I do accept I was in the wrong lane and that you had a green light but my light was still red so I couldn't move (I also missed the turn off to San Sebastián, I had to go an extra 6 kms)

I walked into town and decided to treat myself with a rum and coke. That did cause a few problems when I told the bar man I wanted them both in the SAME glass. Man could he pour the rum, I was afraid there would be no room for the coke. After drinking it I was glad I walked there and didn't need to ride home

Finally as this is a bike site, a couple if pics of bikes I saw in town.

A Gas Gas super motard, check out the slick rear tyre, how much fun would that be in the wet?

Finally a couple of Africa Twins, I went past three coming into town so not sure why so many of them are here?

A day off the bike tomorrow, time to do some chores and get some exercise.

Kiwi Mike
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.
H Jackson Brown
Old 05-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #80
nunoajc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hello Mike.If you have Time i would like to advise to visit Sintra and the Palacio da pena http://www.parquesdesintra.pt/en/par...alace-of-pena/
Is a 30 minute ride from Lisbon. Just take the IC19 road.

In Lisbon also a good place to visit and Eat is "Pasteis de Belem"
http://www.pasteisdebelem.pt/en.html

On your way from Lisbon to Faro i advise to ride the pay tollroad A2 Highway (A2 - Auto Estrada do Sul) and exit in Grandola( around 100km from Lisbon) and then ride on national Road to Algarve, ( and save some money on toll) because from "Aguas de Moura" to "Alcacer do Sal" the road is not very good and is worst from "Alcacer do Sal" to "Grandola" because the roots of trees grow up and broke the tarmac. The tarmac is full of holes and cracks. After " Grandola" the national road is good, almost no traffic.
In "Canal Caveira" Police like to install speed radar, so always below 50km/h.

In the Algarve national road 125 (EN125) is a dangerous and full of traffic road. Now with the begining of summer is full of rentalcars, shuttlebus and crazy locals. Be carefull with u-turns and overtakes. Also this road passes within the citys instead around them, so traffic can be even move heavy.

You can use the A22 best know as Via do Infante, but beware is a paid tollroad, but without tollbooth. I will look for more info about foreign veicules using the A22 - Via do Infante. (I have a electronic device called "Via Verde" in my car for paying tollroad and in my bike i dont use the A22 or any other Highways. I like to ride national roads).

In Portugal is Ok and tolerate to motorcycles go beetween cars on a traffic lane (when cars are stop) but dont expect to car drivers to move for you to pass if the gap is small. Dont horn or anything. You will problaby end blocked between two cars. Just wait a bit untill traffic starts to move , and then just go.

Have a nice ride and ride safe. I hope you enjoy your trip and like even more Portugal.
nunoajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #81
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoajc View Post
Hello Mike.If you have Time i would like to advise to visit Sintra and the Palacio da pena
Is a 30 minute ride from Lisbon. Just take the IC19 road.

In Lisbon also a good place to visit and Eat is "Pasteis de Belem"

On your way from Lisbon to Faro i advise to ride the pay tollroad A2 Highway (A2 - Auto Estrada do Sul) and exit in Grandola( around 100km from Lisbon) and then ride on national Road to Algarve, ( and save some money on toll) because from "Aguas de Moura" to "Alcacer do Sal" the road is not very good and is worst from "Alcacer do Sal" to "Grandola" because the roots of trees grow up and broke the tarmac. The tarmac is full of holes and cracks. After " Grandola" the national road is good, almost no traffic.
In "Canal Caveira" Police like to install speed radar, so always below 50km/h.

In the Algarve national road 125 (EN125) is a dangerous and full of traffic road. Now with the begining of summer is full of rentalcars, shuttlebus and crazy locals. Be carefull with u-turns and overtakes. Also this road passes within the citys instead around them, so traffic can be even move heavy.

You can use the A22 best know as Via do Infante, but beware is a paid tollroad, but without tollbooth. I will look for more info about foreign veicules using the A22 - Via do Infante. (I have a electronic device called "Via Verde" in my car for paying tollroad and in my bike i dont use the A22 or any other Highways. I like to ride national roads).

In Portugal is Ok and tolerate to motorcycles go beetween cars on a traffic lane (when cars are stop) but dont expect to car drivers to move for you to pass if the gap is small. Dont horn or anything. You will problaby end blocked between two cars. Just wait a bit untill traffic starts to move , and then just go.

Have a nice ride and ride safe. I hope you enjoy your trip and like even more Portugal.
Thank you Nunoajc, it is always good getting advice like this from a local.

Kind regards

Kiwi Mike
Old 05-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #82
iny46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Right side

Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
You are telling me, on the little lanes around here I keep saying keep right, it just seems so unnatural.

Now u know how I felt the first k´s in NZ, driving on the wrong Side.

http://www.mittelerde-mit-dem-motorrad.de
iny46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #83
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

San Sebastián

They say that too much of a good thing is bad for a relationship so today KT and I had a day apart. She was left in the basement in the company of some scooters!

I spent the day walking around this charming sea side town (city?) of San Sebastián. The Spanish certainly like their food and drink as every second shop appeared to be either a bar (serving Tapas) or a bakery. This was my lunch stop, you can see the variety of food on the bar. Wow this would drive the hygiene "police" crazy back in NZ as no covers over the food, no utensils for picking the food up etc etc. The prawns were fantastic and of course I had to do what the locals were doing and have a beer to wash it down!

I really enjoy street performers and came across a group of four men playing their instruments. Three of the instruments were familiar to me; trombone, double bass and a clarinet. However what is this? Very similar to a trumpet but he was playing it in its side and it had different keys to push. Any ideas? (The woman in the back ground sang opera while the musicians rested)

They were very good, I would have bought their CD if I had more room to put things on KT

Finally a photo of the beach. There are two beaches; one inside a bay and the other, a surf beach, outside of it. It would be a nice place on a summers day.

Am back riding tomorrow, I am getting closer to Lisbon where I am picking my "wing man" (Leanne) up on Saturday!
Old 05-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #84
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Hey Kiwi Mike,
Loving the report! Sorry you had a mob scene at the Mont St Mike. It may well be the most touristed attraction in France (maybe after Tour Eiffel?). When I first went some 10 years ago, it was in January and there were very few tourists and most of the shops and restaurants were closed. Was there again in October '13 and the crowds were huge. Sad to no longer be able to simply drive up to it and park, but I understand that the existence of the causeway was ruining the hydrology. Best way to see it, I think, is to either go early in the morning or late in the day during tourist high tide, or hit it in winter some time.
Blader54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #85
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Hey Kiwi Mike,
Loving the report! Sorry you had a mob scene at the Mont St Mike. It may well be the most touristed attraction in France (maybe after Tour Eiffel?). When I first went some 10 years ago, it was in January and there were very few tourists and most of the shops and restaurants were closed. Was there again in October '13 and the crowds were huge. Sad to no longer be able to simply drive up to it and park, but I understand that the existence of the causeway was ruining the hydrology. Best way to see it, I think, is to either go early in the morning or late in the day during tourist high tide, or hit it in winter some time.
Nothing to apologise for, I was a tourist just like everyone else :-). When I come back, on another trip as I am sure Leanne would like to see it, we will take your advice and go early in the morning and beat the crowds.

France is a beautiful country.

Kiwi Mike
Old 05-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #86
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
M St M aside, you can't miss with the Chenonceau and Azay Le Rideau! Well done! And Le Mans! Fabulous! That was a good point you made, that many of the old courses were largely on public roads blocked off for racing. Thankfully we still have moto road racing at the Isle of Man, the NW 200, etc. Glad to see that the Mazda Le Mans winner is displayed (proud former owner of a Series 1 RX-7!)! Looking forward to the Iberian section of your report!
Blader54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #87
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,965
Thanks for sharing your ride!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #88
RTwo
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great report Mike - keep it up :)

Being a man who obviously loves his motor racing, it's a pity you're not anywhere near Monaco on the weekend of the 24/25th May, the place is spectacular during GP week.
RTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #89
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTwo View Post
Great report Mike - keep it up :)

Being a man who obviously loves his motor racing, it's a pity you're not anywhere near Monaco on the weekend of the 24/25th May, the place is spectacular during GP week.
It is very tempting but we want to get to Morocco as soon as we can and hopefully before it gets too hot. If possible I would like to ride around the track or do it in a taxi when we are there.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:44 AM   #90
iny46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
wingman

Best regards to Leanne

http://www.mittelerde-mit-dem-motorrad.de
iny46 is offline   Reply With Quote