User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
dirtridr5115 OP
dirtridr5115

Oddometer: 24
Thumb North PA Day-Trip (4-26-14)

**Note** This is my FIRST ride report so cut me some slack on how badly this is going to be written...

The day starts off knowing I have a business trip to Canada that I have to leave for come Sunday (4/27) afternoon. It was just too perfect outside on Saturday (4/26) to sit around packing and prepping all day for this trip into the Northern abyss. With not needing to leave for CaNaDiA til the afternoon on Sunday I will have time Sunday in the AM to pack... free time on Saturday = to ride!!!

Wanted to think up a great day trip, where better than the infinite dirt roads of Potter county PA. More specifically to see the ever-so-popular Cherry Springs SP (which I had never been to)... I am a PA native, so I have to say that I have been there at least once, even if its in the daytime (for those of you that do not know what Cherry Springs SP is, it is the darkest place in PA. Many RVs and pop-up campers bring their peoples to this site for the viewing of the nighttime sky with ~0 light pollution).

Anyways, the morning began with drinking the gallon of coffee while making a spur of the moment list of directions to and from Cherry on a scrap piece of paper. I wanted to hit as many dirt roads as possible (its kinda my lifestyle).

Got the new Wolfman E-12 saddle bags this winter so I'm what you can call excited to put them on the bike and see how they do.

at 12:15 the trip begins...

ohh how I love my dirtroads!!

Made my way out to Cherry Springs...

I guess these alien looking white things are used to have better communication with ET.. or that setup a telescope in... beats me??

As you can see I had a go-pro camera. Its the Hero1 camera and my battery/camera has been acting very strange lately (turning off after just few minutes on full charge, turning off video without me turning off). Anyways I got some videos of different parts of the rides today, I will try to get them onto YouTube and add to the comments on my report here.

Made the trip back home on a different route, making it up as I went...

When getting back to the garage the trip OD read 180.3 miles and after all the stops and visits I had taken at Cherry Springs, some other State Parks, and my navigating/getting lost/exploring.. the trip totaled just under 6 hours.

All I gotta say is that for this to be my first trip of the year, the rest of my adventures have a lot to live up to... but I wont be taking a trip soon as I already know that I will be feeling this trip for longer than necessary...

(I'm the full-of-life age of only 23 so I gotta "click" with today's generation of Selfies)..
dirtridr5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
dirtridr5115 OP
dirtridr5115

Wildlife!!

Forgot to mention that I saw lots of critters while on my ride..

Started off with a few grouse that were along the road and spooked as I rode near.

Then went on to seeing a group of 3 turkeys (passed about a dozen trucks parked along the road for today is opening of Spring Gobbler season).

Came across more grouse along the road...

More turkeys, almost hit the one that tried to fly away by flying across front of my bike...

Saw lots of white-tail deer throughout the ride (that's not surprising with all of them around this area)

Also got to see some elk in the fields here and there (as long as they stay off the roads I'll be happy).

That's the wildlife report from this day trip...
Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
Pratt
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Cool photos. Looks like nice riding there in Northern PA.

Pratt
Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
dirtridr5115 OP
dirtridr5115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
Cool photos. Looks like nice riding there in Northern PA.

Pratt
Thanks Pratt. Yes the riding up here is amazing. Only thing I have to say about this trip that kinda sucked was the windy. Very very windy all day with some extreme gusts. If I wasn't holding as tight as I was at some times I shit you not that I would of been blown off the bike!!

All in all tho the trip was very fun.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
racerron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Potter county one of my favorite places to ride. Got to admit never heard of Cherry Springs SP. Must be a good place to camp on a clear night.
Thanks for sharing.
racerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Tetched
Local Village idiot

Oddometer: 500
Nice. Must be tough livin in the middle of great trout fishin/huntin/dual sportin country. I'll make it up sometime this summer to go 'splorin/fishin with ya. Enjoy Canada.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
dirtridr5115 OP
dirtridr5115

1st of my GoPro videos I got successfully uploaded on to Youtube. Now you have to remember this video was shot with the GoPro Hero1 camera so its not going to be as glamorous as all the brand new videos that people are making with the GoPro 3 cameras. I will have more videos attached in the comments once they successfully get on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcgZBDOlxBA
Old 04-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
dirtridr5115 OP
dirtridr5115

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerron View Post
Potter county one of my favorite places to ride. Got to admit never heard of Cherry Springs SP. Must be a good place to camp on a clear night.
Thanks for sharing.
raccerron... I actually from Cameron County, yes I rode into Potter county but its all the same up here. lots a trails and tons of fun (as long as you don't get lost.. on second thought. that makes it even more fun) haha
Old 04-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
dirtridr5115 OP
dirtridr5115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetched View Post
Nice. Must be tough livin in the middle of great trout fishin/huntin/dual sportin country. I'll make it up sometime this summer to go 'splorin/fishin with ya. Enjoy Canada.
Tetched... you're telling me, every weekend I wake up and flip a quad sided coin to figure out what I gonna be doing (mountain biking, fishing, dual sporting or jeeping). Life is so tough everyday.. I don't know how I get thru it all
Old 04-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
racerron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtridr5115 View Post
raccerron... I actually from Cameron County, yes I rode into Potter county but its all the same up here. lots a trails and tons of fun (as long as you don't get lost.. on second thought. that makes it even more fun) haha

Your never lost until the gas tank's almost empty.
racerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtridr5115 View Post
Tetched... you're telling me, every weekend I wake up and flip a quad sided coin to figure out what I gonna be doing (mountain biking, fishing, dual sporting or jeeping). Life is so tough everyday.. I don't know how I get thru it all
No huntin'????

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
Tetched
Local Village idiot

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootac View Post
No huntin'????
Oh ya. But my big game days are mostly over with. I live on a couple hundred acres in the mountains of WV. Just walk out the door. So traveling to hunt has lost it's appeal. Now trout fishin, that's another story. 'Sides, this guys my nephew
Old 05-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
dirtridr5115 OP
dirtridr5115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetched View Post
Oh ya. But my big game days are mostly over with. I live on a couple hundred acres in the mountains of WV. Just walk out the door. So traveling to hunt has lost it's appeal. Now trout fishin, that's another story. 'Sides, this guys my nephew
I couldn't think of the name of 5-sided coin (didn't think a pentagollan die was possible).. and besides, it not a big game hunting season right now haha.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
dirtridr5115 OP
dirtridr5115

Tetched.... I'll be in town for this weekend and then again next weekend if you want to come up for a weekend trip just let me know. Right now the waters are a bit too high and muddy for any goo fishing, but the dirt and gravel roads are always ready to be ridden!!