Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #91
GvG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
However what is this? Very similar to a trumpet but he was playing it in its side and it had different keys to push. Any ideas?
Looks like a rotary valve trumpet or cornet to me.
GvG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #92
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Hola from Covarrubias

I had the same problems leaving San Sebastián this morning as I had when I arrived, my GPS and I were not on the same page! It is very hard when the motorway splits in two to really know which one road to follow until you have gone past the turn and check the GPS. Twice this morning where I was riding and where the pink line was going didn't agree!

I took the toll road this morning and what an awesome road it was (yes I know it is not very adventurous and a Gold Wing would have been better suited but I enjoyed it) wow the tunnels! I thought the 1km long tunnel was long, then came a 2km one and then the big daddy 3.5km. The Spanish sure know how to build roads, they either go through or over. However when the toll came to 12 Euros (NZ$20) I decided I had seen enough and turned off.

Couple of pics, more motorways are being built; in the hills behind this monster I could see where more tunnels had been bored.

How cool is this entrance?

And finally Covarrubias, a very old little town with a magnificent church. One of the town walls was built in the 10th century, that is before New Zealand had been "found" by the white man. Can you imagine anything built today still standing in 3014?

Here is the entrance to the town, with KT striking a magnificent pose.

And the old church (Saint Cosme and Saint Damien Collegiate Church) The priest/monk/brother(?) pointed out the highlights to me. The organ was built in the 17th century and it still works!

And finally does this happen to you? You arrive at a 2 story hotel, very quiet and you are possibly at that stage the only guest. You have boots on, helmet, gloves, tank bag, roll bag etc to carry. And the room you are given..... top floor furtherest away from the stairs

Casablanca tomorrow :-)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.H Jackson Brown
Europe trip 2014 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971014

young1 screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 01:02 PM
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #93
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,878
Hello Mike,

Great report!

I've sent you an e-mail regarding our plan for Saturday, hope you get to read it meanwhile.

See you soon,

Carlos

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:02 AM   #94
Hockenrider
Wheel in Front

Oddometer: 67
Hi Mike ,

Totally enjoying your ride reports and the Wow factor of your photo's.

Thanks for sharing them , another one subscribed.

Cheers
Holmesy
Hockenrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #95
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Leanne is fortunate that I am able to post this for her to read before she wakes up (she is 10 hours ahead of me here), why? I lost my map of the city that also included the route to take for my 25 minute walk back to the BNB. It became like a big game of memory, but as you can see I made it.

Day started well. It was the sort of day that wasn't too hot or cold, ear plugs were comfy and working, full tank of gas, clean visor, no traffic and a brilliant windy country road to cruise along, taking in the scenery, at about 70km/hr. Just awesome.

Pictures, this old bridge had an old mill and water race alongside (typical as soon as I got off the bike the first car in ages arrived..)

I hate to report this but forget about what the girls say, size is important. Here is proof, with what this bird has he has managed to get two chicks (the second ducked down when it saw the camera)

I stopped for a drink in a neat little town look how skinny the roads are!

Salamanca is awesome. The old town is centred around the grand square and all around are cathedrals, churches, centuries old buildings. It is a university town so has that buzz it that students bring. The university uses many of the old buildings in its campus.

The square, unfortunately it had temporary buildings in it for a university book fair

This is the cathedral, the size of this was impressive. How they managed to build these centuries ago is beyond me. What was funny - there was a cheaper entry fee for the unemployed, maybe I should have tried to go in paying that one!

They say you can pick a good Tapas bar by all the napkins on the floor, this must be a good one then, look below the bar

About 400kms tomorrow to Evora in Portugal. Spare some thought for Leanne who starts a 36 hour trip to Lisbon after a day at work. It is going to be AWESOME to see her (just hope she doesn't bring to much lol)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.H Jackson Brown

young1 screwed with this post 05-15-2014 at 01:16 PM
Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 AM   #96
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
She's on the way. Took her to the airport. Beautiful night to fly. Clear and calm and an awesome orange moon coming up.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:53 AM   #97
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
She's on the way. Took her to the airport. Beautiful night to fly. Clear and calm and an awesome orange moon coming up.
Thank you Phil, I appreciate that :-)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #98
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

It ain't half hot mum!

Maybe an early taste of Morocco, today got hotter the closer I got to Portugal.

Salamanca is such a beautiful city, I hope to return one day.

My route out of Salamanca was great, went through some small towns. Dropping down to this one there was some nice sharp first gear corners to wobble around.

This is looking back across the plain I was crossing heading to the border.

And into Portugal, I now have to cope with another language (or the locals have to cope with my "Kiwi English)

Tonight I am in the small town of Evora, it is a UNESCO world heritage site. Don't worry I won't bore you with details of cathedrals etc but thought you might like São Francisco Convent, and the Chapel of Bones.

And to celebrate a new country I have to try the local product so a nice glass of red (cordial mum!).

Apart from Leanne arriving tomorrow there is possibly another treat in store. If it eventuates I will report all tomorrow!

And by the way thank you to family and friends who got in touch with Leanne this week to wish her well :-)

young1 screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 01:20 PM
Old 05-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #99
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Important AND Big news today

First the most important news, to me anyway, Leanne has arrived so we can now share the next 8 weeks of this adventure together.

And now the big news. This is where I spent 5 hours this afternoon

There were three different options from; riding on the road (they had the full range of bikes to choose from), track experience or off road coaching and riding.

So I still can't believe that I ended up astride a BMW 1000 weapon heading down pit straight! What a scary, exciting time. These bikes are so fast, their brakes are so good I think my eyeballs hit my visor when I first applied them. As my friends from home will confirm I am no road rider. If I was meant to find any apexes on the track, well I would still be out there looking. Anyway enough, here is the proof (check out the other bikes that were available)

And if anyone who was there today is reading this, no I wasn't swerving to warm the tires up as I left pit lane - that was my customary wobble....

Here is the off road school, this is Carlos on a brand new GS taking his group through the basics, man could he ride that well. We are staying with Carlos and Catarina in Lisbon, awesome couple.

These are some of the bikes available for the road ride.

Various suppliers also had stall including Touratech, BMW apparel etc.

BMW did it so well, right from the check in procedures, the free lunch / juice / coffee etc, the bike options and even to when we were leaving the bike wash people turned up to groom all of the bikes for tomorrow.

And finally some eye candy from my lunch stop in Estoril

Isn't that just gorgeous.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #100
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,569
getting to the good stuff Mike!

Are you staying with the couple we met at your place or are they still travelling?
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #101
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Great pics there, a very exciting day out. A very tidy example of the Kawasaki too. Tidier than mine, but just as lethal. If only I had kept it, or even the 900. Both worth a few bob now!
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #102
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Very cool, glad to see Leanne arrived ok. We were figuring this morning that she would be arriving there and how long it had been since we dropped her at the airport, and she had been in a plane seat the whole time
Stil hard to believe, Mike on a Beemer not quite an airhead, but you have to work down to that

Phreaky Phil screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 02:12 AM
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:17 AM   #103
nunoajc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
First the most important news, to me anyway, Leanne has arrived so we can now share the next 8 weeks of this adventure together.

And now the big news. This is where I spent 5 hours this afternoon

There were three different options from; riding on the road (they had the full range of bikes to choose from), track experience or off road coaching and riding.

So I still can't believe that I ended up astride a BMW 1000 weapon heading down pit straight! What a scary, exciting time. These bikes are so fast, their brakes are so good I think my eyeballs hit my visor when I first applied them. As my friends from home will confirm I am no road rider. If I was meant to find any apexes on the track, well I would still be out there looking. Anyway enough, here is the proof (check out the other bikes that were available)

And if anyone who was there today is reading this, no I wasn't swerving to warm the tires up as I left pit lane - that was my customary wobble....

Here is the off road school, this is Carlos on a brand new GS taking his group through the basics, man could he ride that well. We are staying with Carlos and Catarina in Lisbon, awesome couple.

These are some of the bikes available for the road ride.

Various suppliers also had stall including Touratech, BMW apparel etc.

BMW did it so well, right from the check in procedures, the free lunch / juice / coffee etc, the bike options and even to when we were leaving the bike wash people turned up to groom all of the bikes for tomorrow.

And finally some eye candy from my lunch stop in Estoril

Isn't that just gorgeous.
Is great to see you are having fun. I hope you enjoy the track. I have done some trackdays (in car) in Estoril and is a very nice track.

As promise , and sorry for delay i give some info about the A22- Via do Infante.
Is a toll road with ellectronic tolls, no tollbooth.

"How it works: Toll payment is based on a small transponder which is linked to your Portuguese bank account, and debited within a day or two of every passage, which is fine if you are a resident with a Portuguese bank account.

The alternative is to pay your tolls at the Post Office or Pay Shop, which must be done within five days, but only after 48 hours have transpired. That's ok if you have a rent-a-car with Portuguese plates, but you cannot post-pay your tolls if you have foreign number plates. The official answer is "wait until we write to you at your address back home", the reality is that we don't know anyone (yet) who has received such a letter. So, if you are a visitor, how do you pay, where do you pay, what will it cost?

Foreign license plate veicules tend to do this( except the spanish) Since you only live in the other side of the world and if the Portuguese autorities cannot get you address or fiscal number, you may be lucky and dont pay anything. but i dont advise to do that.

Pre Paid Passes: If you have a foreign registered car, there are alternative options.

Option One: You can purchase a pre-paid pass, valid for 3 days from any Post Office (and they are very clued up on the whole situation). A three day pass costs Euros 20 for a normal car, and is for unlimited tolls along the whole motorway for the three (consecutive) days you specify. You can only purchase six of these passes every year.

Pre Paid Airport trip. You can also buy a one way or return journey pre paid ticket for a trip to: Faro Airport (via A22). Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport (Porto) (via A28/A41); or Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport (via A41/A42) from any Post Office

Option Two is to purchase a five day pass, again from any Post Office, The cost is Euros 10 initially (or more), tolls must be pre-paid, so deposit enough to cover your expected journeys. As far as we can ascertain, you can only buy one of these, and you pay the normal toll charge, based on your journey. Refunds of unused tolls are possible, but we don't know anyone who has tried! You will get a receipt which you should display on your dashboard, and keep in a safe place thereafter. One reader has told us that he has been told that the unused part of his payment will be refunded to his Credit Card automatically once the toll road concessionaires have calculated what he has used in tolls."
Source : http://www.theportugalnews.com/a22-a...u-need-to-know.

Or you can not use it at all , maybe is the easy way. Just be very carefull in EN125 . In case we meet up in Faro for a beer or dinner and you have use the A22 you can note the value in Euros of each cross in the electronic tool and i can go to the post office pay that for you. I go to post Office almost every day, so is not a trouble.

This is the electronic tools and with the price (is varies in each crossing) on that big blue board. The A22 from the exit of highway A2- autoestrada do Sul to faro is €1,70.

Other source of Info : http://www.vialivre.pt/costsA22.aspx...idtitulo=costs

I hope Mike and Leanne have a lots of fun and enjoy this ride.
Ride safe.

Off topic:
Did you know Faro is the Capital of Motorcycle? Every year takes place Problaby the largest biker concentration of europe. Is petty you arent even near to see this show. Who already came to Faro know what I mean.
The program for this year.

Please sorry the off-topic.
nunoajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #104
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
The tolls in Portugal are ridiculous for visitors. I'm at the post office every couple days when I go visit. At least on the A1, you have the option to pay the toll when you take the exit. The other option is to take the "Estrada velha" (back roads) when they are available.
Either way I love my home country and can't wait to go back in August.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #105
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank you Nunoajc

Tolls, hmmmm. Last night we went through the toll "gate" for those with a transponder, of course we don't have one of those! We are only in Portugal for 4 more nights and hope the authorities are confused with our Kiwi number plate and don't catch up with us within that time. Hopefully....

young1 screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 05:12 PM