Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #31
Erol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erol View Post
If you interested there is another option. We had did it last year.
There is UNRORO from Trieste to Istanbul. You can load to ferry. And same day you can fly to Istanbul. It is cheap and you can Get extra 2 days to visiting in Istanbul. UNRORO is doing all the paperwork in stead of you. Even they are giving you fly ticket . Price was between 250-300€ with fly ticket.
Another useful link about riding Turkey is below
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/country/turkey
Erol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:27 AM   #32
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erol View Post
If you interested there is another option. We had did it last year.
There is UNRORO from Trieste to Istanbul. You can load to ferry. And same day you can fly to Istanbul. It is cheap and you can Get extra 2 days to visiting in Istanbul. UNRORO is doing all the paperwork in stead of you. Even they are giving you fly ticket . Price was between 250-300€ with fly ticket.
This is very good intel Erol!
Late for this trip (we already booked and paid ferries) but always good to know for future trips!
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:50 AM   #33
tacsizkral
n00b

Oddometer: 8
you should be carefull about the other drivers. in Turkey motorcycles are not noticed easily like european countries. and there is nothing to be in doubt about your trip. you will not be regret about it. have a nice journey.
tacsizkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #34
Erol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta-GS View Post
This is very good intel Erol!
Late for this trip (we already booked and paid ferries) but always good to know for future trips!
Thanks!
Have a nice trip Marta.:)) Enjoy your trip.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #35
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacsizkral View Post
you should be carefull about the other drivers. in Turkey motorcycles are not noticed easily like european countries. and there is nothing to be in doubt about your trip. you will not be regret about it. have a nice journey.

Tacsizkral, thanks for the tip about traffic, a friend of mine had told me exactly the same thing!

Thanks God Rita is pretty conspicuous (quite yellow and also carrying a big yellow bag on the back). Hopefully this should help to make us a little bit more visible. But of course I will be paying a lot of attention to what's around me!

Can't wait to leave!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #36
Christof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hi Marta- I've lived in Turkey for 11 years and have had a bike for most of that time. Just to confirm what others have told you, Turkey is a very safe place for a holiday. I have always felt more personally secure here than in Europe or the USA.

Do be careful about the traffic. Drivers here do not respect motorcycles or give them enough space. Size does matter here and buses rule! I have had some hair rising events on the highways here. When you come up behind a farm tractor and are going to pass, expect him to left turn across the road without looking. Do not trust red lights at the intersection... always look both ways!

The speed limit for motorcycles on the highways is 10 kph less than it is for cars! I learned that the hard way... If the police pull you over for speeding, forget about arguing or negotiating your way out of it. The radar results are transmitted directly to police central and if the officer lets you off without a ticket, he is under suspicion of taking a backhander. In the good old days, 20 lira solved all problems and everyone was happy. Not so now.

Coming via Gallipoli is a great idea. The ride from the Greek border to Istanbul is really boring. The peninsula is very beautiful and the road is nice. Çanakkale is a pleasant small city and to the south, the village of Assos on the seaside is a nice place to stay. From there Efes is just a few more hours south. Although it is one of the most popular sites in the country, there is good reason for that. It's a spectacular site.

The ride from the Aegean to Kappadokia through western Anatolia is just wonderful. The Denizli-Isparta-Konya way is easy, with good roads and scenery. The other way is along the south coast through Finiki, Kaş, and on to Antalya. Kaş and Kevova and the coast are really nice, but skip Antalya... Tourism Central.

After kappadokia, you could ride on east to Mount Nemrut. It is a day's ride east from Göreme and is the best place to ride to I can think of. It's just amazing and I think the road is "improved" since I was there four years ago. It's not the far east, so I think it is totally doable in 2 weeks. And you get to go to Gaziantep, which has the best food in the whole country! It's a very nice and clean city. Be sure to eat at the Imam Kardeş (kar-dash) restaurant and try the Ali Nazik. yum

Avoid Adana! Too hot, too dirty and the people are a bit aggressive.

The north along the Black Sea is very beautiful and the summer weather is really nice. We were in the Karadeniz region east of Trabzon in late August and it was cool with no rain. It reminded me of the west coast of Canada, but with better food. Although if you are taking it easy and have just two weeks, you may not have the time. Which is a shame because it's a gorgeous area and one many Turks dream of going. (you should stay longer!)

Good luck, be careful on the road, you are going to have a great time!
Christof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #37
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof View Post
Hi Marta- I've lived in Turkey for 11 years and have had a bike for most of that time. Just to confirm what others have told you, Turkey is a very safe place for a holiday. I have always felt more personally secure here than in Europe or the USA.

Do be careful about the traffic. Drivers here do not respect motorcycles or give them enough space. Size does matter here and buses rule! I have had some hair rising events on the highways here. When you come up behind a farm tractor and are going to pass, expect him to left turn across the road without looking. Do not trust red lights at the intersection... always look both ways!

The speed limit for motorcycles on the highways is 10 kph less than it is for cars! I learned that the hard way... If the police pull you over for speeding, forget about arguing or negotiating your way out of it. The radar results are transmitted directly to police central and if the officer lets you off without a ticket, he is under suspicion of taking a backhander. In the good old days, 20 lira solved all problems and everyone was happy. Not so now.

Coming via Gallipoli is a great idea. The ride from the Greek border to Istanbul is really boring. The peninsula is very beautiful and the road is nice. Çanakkale is a pleasant small city and to the south, the village of Assos on the seaside is a nice place to stay. From there Efes is just a few more hours south. Although it is one of the most popular sites in the country, there is good reason for that. It's a spectacular site.

The ride from the Aegean to Kappadokia through western Anatolia is just wonderful. The Denizli-Isparta-Konya way is easy, with good roads and scenery. The other way is along the south coast through Finiki, Kaş, and on to Antalya. Kaş and Kevova and the coast are really nice, but skip Antalya... Tourism Central.

After kappadokia, you could ride on east to Mount Nemrut. It is a day's ride east from Göreme and is the best place to ride to I can think of. It's just amazing and I think the road is "improved" since I was there four years ago. It's not the far east, so I think it is totally doable in 2 weeks. And you get to go to Gaziantep, which has the best food in the whole country! It's a very nice and clean city. Be sure to eat at the Imam Kardeş (kar-dash) restaurant and try the Ali Nazik. yum

Avoid Adana! Too hot, too dirty and the people are a bit aggressive.

The north along the Black Sea is very beautiful and the summer weather is really nice. We were in the Karadeniz region east of Trabzon in late August and it was cool with no rain. It reminded me of the west coast of Canada, but with better food. Although if you are taking it easy and have just two weeks, you may not have the time. Which is a shame because it's a gorgeous area and one many Turks dream of going. (you should stay longer!)

Good luck, be careful on the road, you are going to have a great time!
Christof, this is amazing information, THANKS A LOT!

Mount Nemrut was on the list and I was totally ready to sacrifice a lazy day in Cappadocia to be able to get there. And see the sunrise from the top! And after reading your posting, I'm reaffirming on this decision!!!

I take very good note of all your recommendations (route, food -I love eating!!!-, and 'insider tips').

I wish I could stay at least one week more but this is not compatible with work...

OMG, I can't wait to leave!!!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:04 AM   #38
lunaticTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta-GS View Post
Tacsizkral, thanks for the tip about traffic, a friend of mine had told me exactly the same thing!

Thanks God Rita is pretty conspicuous (quite yellow and also carrying a big yellow bag on the back). Hopefully this should help to make us a little bit more visible. But of course I will be paying a lot of attention to what's around me!

Can't wait to leave!!!
Well, unfortunately it is not about noticeability of a motorcycle. This is one of the countries where size does matter. The bigger the vehicle, the more respect you get. Actually it is not respect but the instinct of survival prevents them driving in front of a truck, but that instinct will not kick in when they saw a smaller vehicle. In traffic, the rules of forests reigns here. And I am telling this as a Turkish rider/driver. You get an eye contact and think that he saw you and will not drive right in front of you from a side road. But he thinks he got an eye contact and now that you saw him, he can jump in.
Don't know about your country, here flashing your high beam means "I am coming, get out of my way" or "don't even think about coming in on my way, I will not yield" as opposed to the meaning in the USA "please go ahead".
I may sound gloomy but it is better be safe than sorry.
If you want to come to Ankara, please do so. You will appreciate the rest of the country even more . (writing this as a person about to die of boredom).
Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #39
steppenwolf
n00b

Oddometer: 5
One more advice

Hi Marta,

If you have time and go to Adiyaman for Nemrut, I strictly advice you to visit MARDIN and HASANKEYF. They both are spectecular.
steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #40
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Steppenwolf and Lunatic, thanks for the last minute recommendations, we'll take them in consideration!

Just getting home after work, still with a long list of things to do and... haven't started packing yet! Quick sandwich and will start fitting all my stuff in the zegapros ;)
Old 05-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #41
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I agree on the dog and a stick post. I ran into several agressive dogs on my ride. At one hotel the hotel owner came out and chased the dog away with a stick. After thet i bought a telescopic baton... I love dogs, but if love is not enough i prefer to have a stick in my hand.
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote