Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #346
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,427
So we are buzzing along a gravel road and my GPS says turn right... road didn't look to inviting so I stop and we look at it... They say "Let's try it" and we end up here:

Guess it's time for a u-turn and reroute...

So the re-route messes up my plan and we skip one loop of my planned route. I soon recognize that we are on the road to Oark, but it is early for lunch. So we stop to take a break to discuss...

There hasn't been a bridge here for long, and there are still signs of a crossing near by, but no one in our group volunteered to try the older crossings...

The fat boys decide that an early lunch is a good idea cause it might get crowded at Oark Cafe with the rally in town, so we ride on...

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #347
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

At Oark...

DQ and Bob waiting on their food...

Since I messed up my route and wasn't fully prepared to lead further, we headed back in the general direction of the loop we missed...

At some point, DQ's allergy trouble comes back, and he just isn't feeling well and splits off to head back to camp. Bob has an idea of where to go next, so he tells me to get him to Cass, AR and he will know where to go from there.

Rockin down a gravel road...

Oh, I left out the fact that I bought a new camera for this trip and was struggling to set it to focus on the fly and work as I needed... Some pics came out like this:

The remaining crew following me to Cass

They decide we need to fuel up before heading out exploring, just in case...So we stop at Turner's Bend store.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #348
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Edit: Bob leads us up to the Shores Lake overlook... :)

What can you see from the Shores Lake overlook? Well, Shores Lake...

and this:

and on we roll... Some great gravel roads in here!

backwoodsKLR screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 04:08 PM
Old 05-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #349
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bob heads off towards the top of White Rock Mountain

Apparently they don't want us to ride our bikes down to the overlook area, so we have to hike a little bit...

backwoodsKLR screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 04:06 PM
Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #350
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We finally have cell signal!!! Time to check messages, return calls, check in with the fam, etc.

What? NO! It's time to harass Stewardd for not being here!!!! So we sent him lots of pics, tagged him on Facebook, and generally gave him a hard time for being at work and not with us!!!

I guess we are Buzzard high up here...

Old 05-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #351
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then we had to hike back up to the bikes...

Is this an illuminati symbol left on top of the mountain by early explorers? So the mothership know where to land to pick up passengers?

Would love to know the story behind this building up on the mountain top:

Old 05-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #352
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

So Bob is leading and since I am the only big bike left in the group, I am taking my time and following along as sweeper... At some point, Bob decides we need to try the Mill Creek ATV trail out.

So we get to the rail head and just keep moving on down the road... The trail head starts at a water crossing. It's moving fast and we can't really tell how deep it is. There are concrete bumpers lines up like a boat ramp to help atv's drop in, but the bottom 2 have washed away and it is about a 1.5 foot drop off in the water...

Bob and Marcus stop to talk it over...

If they are unsure on their bikes and their skill level, I'm doomed!!!

I turn and ask Greg which is back to camp, half joking... and we see Marcus start wiggling his front tire like he is backing up, so Greg turns sideways and we think they are turning around... Instead, Marcus lines up beside the concrete ramp where there is a gravel rut down to the water and...

He's across!

So Bob follows and Greg pulls up to check out the scene...

Of course I am thinking, "If Greg goes, then the pressure is all on me!"

CRAP!!!! Now I have to do it!!!

Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #353
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We run a leg of the "warmup loop" for a mile or so. Steep hills, rocks, mud, and a red clay rutted hill climb that makes me consider turning around, but we all make it. i wish I had my go pro on!!!

Soon we get to an intersection where there are signs... As I catch up to the group, Marcus says he knew I was cussing him at the red clay hill climb!!!

So we try to figure out where we are and the shortest way to get me out of here!!!

We had done half of the yellow "warmup loop" and didn't know what lay ahead. So Bob and Marcus ran what we thought was the other side of the yellow loop to see if it was any better than the route we cam in on... The whole place was over 27 miles and I sure didn't want to commit to that!!!
Marcus soon returned up the way we came and asked if I wanted the good news or the bad news...

Good news: Either trail (one one came in on or the other fork) led back to entrance.

Bad news: Both ways had to cross the creek again and get up that steep, washed out concrete ramp.

He said the way we came in had more mud and the other leg had more water breaks / berms and some are steep!!! I chose the water breaks and steap berms over the mud!

We just did the little loop where the 26 is...

I never got a pic on the way out cause the whoops never gave me a place to stop and take one and I sure didn't want to ride with one hand!!!

Made it back across the creek by climbing the little cut besides the concrete...

Old 05-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #354
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

And off we go

Old 05-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #355
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Eventually we get back to Byrd's and the kegs are flowing and the ADV Annual Rally banner is on display for inmates to sign the back... And Tomski is in the middle of it all!!

Again, here is Tomski in the background and out new buddy from Hattiesburg in the for ground...

So we eat our supper, head back to camp area, and circle around a fire... Jokes are told, laughs are had, and all of a sudden the rain hits and everyone dives for cover... Next morning I realize my tent isn't as waterproof as it once was, and soon learn DavidQ fared ever worse. His tent ended in a low spot and one corner had a good bit of water, which soon soaked up into the sleeping bag. So instead of sunny, partly cloudy, lows in 50's, highs in 70's... we are getting low 40's, rain, wind, etc.

So after a few hours, there is no sign of sun and a forecast for more rain Sunday morning... No chance for our wet camp gear to dry out. So DQ and I are leaning towards heading home early to avoid driving home in the rain like we did leaving the HillBilly Dualsport ride in Eureka Springs a few weeks back... Oh, and BaBarnett, another local MS rider, showed up last night, and he appears to have seen the same weather forecast we did and did not bring much in the way of warm clothes. So I inform him of DQ and I thinking of heading home a day early and he decides to join us.

So here is BABS on his Versys following us home...

We start south and pass through a small town where I see this hauler on the side of the road...

We are still under clouds and it is still quite cool...

We are hoping to get south of the storm before it hits and keep pushing south.

We are heading south towards Magazine Mountain to at least get to ride some fun twisties on the way home...

I generally love to cut across Mount Magazine, but we ran into a unsuspected twist this time...

i soon barely see DQ ahead of me, and no sign of BABS behind me..

Old 05-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #356
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We finally break out of the fog / cloud and head on down the mountain...

Since we are cool and a bit damp, and tired, we take a leisurely pace down the backside...

After a break for gas station food, we head on down Scenic 7 back towards Hot Springs.

DQ and I had never checked out the Nimrod Dam, so we decided to take a Dam Detour for a Dam Break.

DQ goes on into the park while I wait for Nimrod, I mean Babs to arrive to make the turn. And here he comes. Surely he will see me stopped at a turn off and stop...

And maybe not...

Guess I've ridden cross country with DQ enough that we think alike and have our travel patterns and signals down... Maybe I should teach them to Babs...

So I turn into the park to catch up to DQ and Babs heads on down the highway. Meanwhile, I go check out the Dam Park and the scenic Dam views..

With all the rain we had in the last 24 hours, I guess they opened the dam valves up...

After the Dam Detour, we head back south on the road to catch up to Babs and soon pass him headed back north apparently looking for us. So when we get down near Hot Springs Village we pull over to let him catch up.

Back together and moving on

SO we head back through the Gorge

Magic Springs!

Old 05-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #357
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

There was a classic car show at a church in one little town we passed. We stopped for gas and saw several pass by leaving the show

This is where I remembered my new camera I bought to upgrade for this trip had a wide lense "selfie" mode... Thought I'd play with it...

We finally get south of Pine Bluff and this bright light appears in the sky...

We stop somewhere down HWY 65 to shed a few layers. And then a few more hours of this (again):

Transylvania, LA

After this, we high tailed it to Tallulah, made one last gas stop and break, then hit I-20 back to Brandon.

Have not calculated my total mileage for the trip, yet. But it was a good ride, even with rain, and cold, and sore butt and ATV trails... What a blast!

Where to next?!?!?!?

backwoodsKLR screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 01:02 PM
Old 05-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #358
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,437
Sounds like a good time! One day maybe I'll make it back to Arkansas...
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #359
riddare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
what the building in the pic was

The picture of the multi story building was a old school house. Later it was used as a chicken house.. saw that you asked and I used to ride up in that area a lot. Rode slow enough to learn a bit of the history of the areas. Alan
riddare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #360
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amknightrider View Post
The picture of the multi story building was a old school house. Later it was used as a chicken house.. saw that you asked and I used to ride up in that area a lot. Rode slow enough to learn a bit of the history of the areas. Alan
Cool. Thanks for the info. It looked a little barnish and a little house like. So I was confused and it was a little out of place, so I was curious!