ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous
 
catfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Morgan Territory, CA
Oddometer: 575
Downieville Trails, Gold Lake camping, July 17-21, 2014

July 17-21, 4 Days of Downieville Singletrack!

Planning to camp at elevation in the Gold Lake area. I like cool evenings. Who knows which campground would
be best for some shade & an afternoon swim?

Most singletrack would be challenging for a large adv-bike, but there are MANY forest roads in the area also.

Example's of blue-rectangle & black-diamond singletrack are below.











That's 3 of MANY Downieville trails!

So, who wants to ride some cool singletrack & celebrate someone's 60th birthday?



Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy
 
K. L. Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: North SF Bay, California
Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
July 17-21, 4 Days of Downieville Singletrack!

Planning to camp at elevation in the Gold Lake area. I like cool evenings. Who knows which campground would
be best for some shade & an afternoon swim?
Sardine Campground

Sardine Lake Resort

Sardine Lake

http://analoggirlworld.wordpress.com...-sardine-lake/

Sand Pond

http://kevingong.com/Hiking/200709SandPond.html


View Larger Map
__________________


K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
CRW
I dont want a pickle
 
CRW's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Cotati Ca. USA
Oddometer: 737
I have always camped on the western side of the lake accessed from the south , but you need 4 wheel drive to get in....
Shade all day.
__________________
06 KTM 950 ADV
2006 KTM 450 EXC
DMC FRAMED XR125
CRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
1224R
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 1,772
Ain't gonna lie looks like a hoot....
__________________
I thought YOU had the map......
1224R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
1224R
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 1,772
Catfish, if we got camping near awesome swimming like the pics I am going to run this by the wife.... That's her jam as far as camping goes... Man I love it up there.... So beautiful.
__________________
I thought YOU had the map......
1224R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
July 17-21, 4 Days of Downieville Singletrack!

So, who wants to ride some cool singletrack & celebrate someone's 60th birthday?

Catfish ...
Hey Catfish,

Don't know about single-track but swimming, campfire and birthday celebration
in the mountains sounds EPIC!

got the dates penciled in!
-- SFMCjohn
__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
Let's Ride!: BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Truckee, Ca.
Oddometer: 187
Are you tent camping or rv ? If your tent camping with a 4x4 there is a great spot to camp next to Tamarack lakes. Google earth it and you will see it. It has some section on the road up to it that put a stock 4x4 to it limit, but I believe it is doable and there are some cool spots along Gold lake that also require some serious wheeling in spots. Otherwise the regular rv spots just in from the highway on Gold Lake are not bad.

Forget Sandpond to crowded and the campground is not right next to the pond. I live in Truckee so this is my backyard so I just might bring the boys by to sing you happy birthday.
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:57 PM   #8
tarripn
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Oddometer: 11
Thats a 'dirty' trick luring in a fellow biker with a see what yur gona miss video clip! So what are you EXACT dates... May have to RIDE the fucker there if no other options or girlfriends! Haha Looks awesome! And that was the first vid! Ken Tarripn
tarripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy
 
K. L. Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: North SF Bay, California
Oddometer: 959
Evening soak...

Sierra Hot Springs



http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-traile...ace-for-rvers/



http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/sierr...fZr_9fYLRp7Z6g



View Larger Map
__________________


K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
joefromsf
Dark Happens
 
joefromsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 1,462
Subscribed. Going to keep an eye on this. Sounds like fun, except for that singletrack stuff.
__________________
--Joe .................................... http://joefromsf.smugmug.com/

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous
 
catfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Morgan Territory, CA
Oddometer: 575
Whooa! Look at the replies!


Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
Sardine Lake
...
Sand Pond
...

Nice looking swim holes! That would be an expensive CG for 4-5 nights! Shame the CG is not near the water!


Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW View Post
I have always camped on the western side of the lake accessed from the south , but you need 4 wheel drive to get in....
Shade all day.

And that's right at the water! Thanks for the suggestion!


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
Catfish, if we got camping near awesome swimming like the pics I am going to run this by the wife.... That's her jam as far as camping goes... Man I love it up there.... So beautiful.
Its a gorgeous area I've ridden thru (street ride) for years. Never could get my local riding buddies to drive this far north to ride dirt. Its time!

I want to camp NEXT to a lake that I will swim in after riding each day. Many nice lakes up there that I've not camped at, so that's why I'm asking who knows the area.

Too busy today to get to the rest of the replies. I'll get to those tomorrow!


Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #12
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy
 
K. L. Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: North SF Bay, California
Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Sounds like fun, except for that singletrack stuff.
A two bird/track alternative:


Henness Pass


Mendodave's RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630994



View Larger Map
__________________


K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
joefromsf
Dark Happens
 
joefromsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
Hi Sharon,

Been on Henness Pass Rd many times, along with a lot of other fun stuff in TNF between 80 & 49. However, very little north of 49 yet.

Have been wanting to check out the 4WD accessible campsites along Gold Lake.
__________________
--Joe .................................... http://joefromsf.smugmug.com/

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous
 
catfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Morgan Territory, CA
Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hey Catfish,

Don't know about single-track but swimming, campfire and birthday celebration
in the mountains sounds EPIC!

got the dates penciled in!
-- SFMCjohn

Good luck losing the eraser on that pencil John!


Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
Are you tent camping or rv ? If your tent camping with a 4x4 there is a great spot to camp next to Tamarack lakes. Google earth it and you will see it. It has some section on the road up to it that put a stock 4x4 to it limit, but I believe it is doable and there are some cool spots along Gold lake that also require some serious wheeling in spots. Otherwise the regular rv spots just in from the highway on Gold Lake are not bad.

Forget Sandpond to crowded and the campground is not right next to the pond. I live in Truckee so this is my backyard so I just might bring the boys by to sing you happy birthday.

Thanks for your local info! I'll probably tent camp instead of brining my trailer. Tamarack Lakes look
VERY COOL in GE! Probably no pit toilets back there, huh? We may just go to the Gold Lake CG so
everyone who wants to come are not limited with vehicle choices to camp.

I look forward to meeting you & your singing boys!


Quote:
Originally Posted by tarripn View Post
Thats a 'dirty' trick luring in a fellow biker with a see what yur gona miss video clip! So what are you EXACT dates... May have to RIDE the fucker there if no other options or girlfriends! Haha Looks awesome! And that was the first vid! Ken Tarripn

Hi Ken! I KNEW you would be hooked on the 1st video! I'll drive up on Wednesday (16th) or
Thursday (17th) morning at the latest. I want to ride at least 3 days, and maybe 4! I'll
probably break camp & drive home on Monday ... UNLESS someone else wants to stay longer
& ride Monday also!


Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
visualizerent
Raconteur
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Nevada City, CA.
Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
July 17-21, 4 Days of Downieville Singletrack!

Planning to camp at elevation in the Gold Lake area. I like cool evenings. Who knows which campground would
be best for some shade & an afternoon swim?

Most singletrack would be challenging for a large adv-bike, but there are MANY forest roads in the area also.

Example's of blue-rectangle & black-diamond singlettrack


That's 3 of MANY Downieville trails!

So, who wants to ride some cool singletrack & celebrate someone's 60th birthday?



Catfish ...
Hey! "I know that dude...." that's me! (chimney rock vid)

Here's another one of my 'award winning' videos of the local trails....

World Class Singletrack, Downieville CA.

http://youtu.be/0TJpjLc_Qeo


Lets light this candle! All 60 of 'em!
i can't think of a better way to celebrate. I hope I'm able to at 60

subscribed, see you there.
Juan
Nevada City
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014