Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #31
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSATrevor View Post
Hey guys,

I just got back from a 500 mile trip with my 18" Madstad installed.

I love it!

I had one for my Tiger 800 that was great, but this one works even better. I was able to get my hands on one of the pre-production versions. I hear the only change is going to be raising up the mounting holes on the windshield (lowering the shield) about 1.75". That should be just about perfect.

I said it with the Tiger, and I'll say it for this one too - this is the best money I've spent on a farkle by far.

I'm leaving again tomorrow for another trip. This time about 1600 miles. I haven't taken it off road yet, but I think it is going to work great flipped and working as a headlight shield. Woohooo!

Thats awesome... How tall are you? I'm going to get one of these. They look great too.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #32
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,573
I just got my Puig touring screen in smoke. I put it on and gave the bike a short spin got out on a straight long road and took it up to 85 and I am impressed! No noise and very smooth. I am 5'9" and in the low position i can see over the screen fine and the smoke doesn't bother me at all. Will do some freeway later in the week and then I will know if this is going to stay but as of now I like it!
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #33
jes126 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
When I talked to Madstad back on 4/21, they said it would take at least a couple of months to come out with their system. Instead of waiting, I purchased a MRA X-Creen shield from Twisted Throttle. I installed it as high as possible on my standard 1190 windshield then went on a 620 mile weekend trip. I spent a lot of time trying different heights and angles trying to eliminate the buffeting. I have the MRA as high as possible and angled slightly more upright in relation to the angle of the stock screen, but at 6"4" tall I'm still looking over the top of the screen by a couple of inches. I just returned from a 1400 mile trip from Western PA through West Virginia's and Virginia's Rt.16 (also known as the "Back of the Dragon")and down to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and my opinion of the MRA is one of confusion. It seemed to work ok at times, even at speeds of 75-80 mph, but other times the wind noise and buffeting were terrible. I'm convinced that the stock wind screen is just too narrow and too much air comes around it. The MRA seemed to push the wind up over my head pretty well, but at 64 years old, I don't want fight the wind at all anymore. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have a Madstad system on my 08 650 V-Strom, and absolutely love it. So much so that I bought one for my 08 KLR that I have stored at my brother's place in Montana. The total adjustability of the Madstad to eliminate nearly all wind noise and buffetting makes it the perfect touring screen. I was going to try a Parabellum but decided to check this forum one more time. I'm glad I did because I'll call Madstat instead.
jes126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #34
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes126 View Post
I have a Madstad system on my 08 650 V-Strom, and absolutely love it. So much so that I bought one for my 08 KLR that I have stored at my brother's place in Montana. The total adjustability of the Madstad to eliminate nearly all wind noise and buffetting makes it the perfect touring screen. I was going to try a Parabellum but decided to check this forum one more time. I'm glad I did because I'll call Madstat instead.
I received the 18" Madstad yesterday. The 10 min install was simple and straight forward. Remove the oem screen, mount the Madstad brackets to the oem adjusters and then mount the Madstad screen. My initial impression is that at all speeds, the buffeting is reduced significantly. I'm 5'"11" with a 30" inseam so I sit fairly high on the 1190 STD. seat. For me, the oem screen was best in the low position....but there was still a lot of buffeting. But with the Madstad in the lowest position and in traffic at 65 mph there is virtually no buffeting or wind on the face. When the oem adjustment is set in the high position even less buffeting is felt. It is important to note, there is still a lot of air flow occurring in the cockpit, but the air is not swirling/buffeting. I installed one of these on my 800XC and achieved similar results as this video:

The results are pretty much the same on the 1190. Taller riders may want to go for the 20".
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #35
USPSATrevor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Thats awesome... How tall are you? I'm going to get one of these. They look great too.
I'm 5'10" and wear an Arai XD4. I rode 640 miles yesterday from Portland, OR to Clear Lake, CA and actually felt fresh at the end of the 15 hours it took me. Today I'm pretty tired. Haha. The windshield flat works though. I'm glad I waited.

Trevor
USPSATrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:45 AM   #36
striped tomato
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Tall windshield for 1190

I'm not sure I'm understanding the mad stand setup and the website isn't helping. How does the windshield flip over? I can only see one thumbscrew on the sliders.

Scratch that, the websites been updated since I first looked

'13 1190R
'13 FE350

striped tomato screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 02:05 AM
striped tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #37
kp.
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
I just got my Puig touring screen in smoke.
Any further info on this wind screen?
Seems like a good product at a great price but am hoping that you will be the beta tester.
Thx kp
kp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #38
mvonkaenel
Roost Hog or Die

Oddometer: 116
Madstad

Ordered the 18".
Thanks for all the good posts to help decide!!!
'07 Yam XT225
'14 KTM 1190 Std.
mvonkaenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #39
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,573
I have been on the freeway a few times now and like the Puig screen with the spoiler attached and in the low position. At speeds of 70 to 75 its a very nice screen and even up to 110 its fine but at those speeds it moves quite a bit. It is a nice looking screen, well made, and I am happy now and will stay with this set up.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #40
Dearnla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I replaced the standard screen on my 1190 ADV with the KTM tall version originally. The buffeting on the std. was just too much. I'm 6' or 1.82m in new money.
The option tall screen is also wider, so it stops the buffeting but you do have a constant roar at speed.
So, I thought I'd go for broke and order the Givi aero screen.
[IMG]Givi tall screen photo imagejpg1_zps2e76433d.jpg[/IMG]
Bloody hell, is it big!
Fitting was easy, if a little fiddly as each mounting hole has a screw, washer, spacer and rubber grommet.
In use, you can adjust the bottom half on the std. Mounts, while the top can slide up or down the clips integral in the bottom part.
You can also leave the top behind and riding with the bottom only is good enough upto about 65, but gets a bit shouty over that.

For my trip to Le Mans, I had it up as high as it would go and was looking through the screen. But it works in eliminating any buffeting or wind roar. There was a little bit of very low frequency buffet occasionally, but at the end of a 400+ mile ride, my ears were ringing an awful lot less than normal. You can even ride along with visor open for extra venting too.

I will only use it for these long trips, I think, as it's just too big for day to day use.
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #41
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvonkaenel View Post
Ordered the 18".
Thanks for all the good posts to help decide!!!
I too have the 18" and it's like night and day compared to the OEM. Very little to no buffeting at 70 MPH, well made and a great price. Highly recommend!!
Old 05-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #42
Omaha Tenere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
I received the 18" Madstad yesterday. The 10 min install was simple and straight forward. Remove the oem screen, mount the Madstad brackets to the oem adjusters and then mount the Madstad screen. My initial impression is that at all speeds, the buffeting is reduced significantly. I'm 5'"11" with a 30" inseam so I sit fairly high on the 1190 STD. seat.
I am 6'2" with a 30" inseam.....I need to ride your bike :-)
Old 05-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #43
Omaha Tenere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I found that standing the OEM windscreen, at the most vertical (even though it gives up about an inch of height), gives the least amount of turbulence for me....now to try that MadStad....

--Rob
Old 05-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #44
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Tenere View Post
....now to try that MadStad....

--Rob
Mine's ready for you to try!
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #45