Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
MountainsandRivers OP
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,233
Trail Tech Voyager vs Garmin 62/78

It is about time I pick up a GPS for where I ride. I am looking for something durable. I will use this for singletracking in technical places in SW Colorado and Moab area. Ease of hardwiring is not as big of a concern as I have no problem carrying batteries. Does anyone have any experience with the Trail Tech Voyager? I heard the monochromatic display is a negative, but that may not be a big deal for me. It seems like they have a good mount setup and I like the idea of it tucking in and basically becoming my dash, so that keeps it less cluttered and safer. I have been scanning the Garmin thread here on the 62/78 so I am getting a little more up to speed.
Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,082
You need to decide if you just want to follow a few tracks or record tracks or download lots of them from Internet, edit them, download to GPS and have color options waypoints etc.

I have few (1 or 2) people on my rides that use Trail Tech but it is nothing like a real GPS.

All the other things you mentioned are background noise except 12V power, that is a big deal and the 62 is DOA on that issue.

78 is available from WestMarine.com for only $150 plus another $150 for maps, mounts, etc.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
MountainsandRivers OP
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,233
yes, I am hoping to both log a lot of my rides to share with friends and people looking for that in the area, and also download a lot of others when I ride in other areas as I am hoping to do some extensive travelling around the US with the bike in tow the next few years, so loading tracks ahead of time for areas I am not familiar with sounds great!
Power source is not too big of a deal since I don't mind carrying batteries if needed. I already do for the helmet light.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,082
Get a real GPS, Garmin Montana, Montera, or 78.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:03 AM   #5
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
yes, I am hoping to both log a lot of my rides to share with friends and people looking for that in the area, and also download a lot of others when I ride in other areas as I am hoping to do some extensive travelling around the US with the bike in tow the next few years, so loading tracks ahead of time for areas I am not familiar with sounds great!
Power source is not too big of a deal since I don't mind carrying batteries if needed. I already do for the helmet light.

Two year old droid for $100 off craigslist ?

Velcro it to the triple tree and go.

You could impale 6-7 of them for the cost of "a real gps" , plus sharing tracks/routes, waypoints, and FULL MAPS is trivial over wifi, bluetooth, or sdcard/cable.