Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #46
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadStad64 View Post
And so it is again! We now have the new MadStad system for the KTM 1190 Adventure. Fully adjustable for height and angle, and we've moved the shield forward from the bike a bit so that we can scoop air underneath it to get rid of the turbulence-causing vacuum. Photos are on the web site and the system is available now. Nothing else compares, we guarantee it. You won't be able to use your stock shield, nor would you want to anyway. All those humps and bumps molded in disturb the airflow, they don't help it. Our shields are smooth and simple curvatures and are available in several tints. Check it out at madstad.com

- MadStad
Initial Review Here
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #47
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Ok just got off the bike after a few miles on the freeway with speeds up to 110mph. The results are i am a happy camper! There is no buffeting and the wind noise that was so bad on the stockers and the CalSci are mostly gone. I have a borrowed Puig spoiler that goes on top of the screen that made a big improvement on the stocker so i thought I would see if that made any improvement. It did, I did a quick run down a long straight street close to me and ran it up to over 100mph and it was even better than before. With the Puig in the low position and the spoiler on it is as good if not better than the Puig Screen all the way up. I think I will buy one of these spoilers and use it on
trips. It goes on and off in a minute. This friday I will be going on a 400 mi dual sport day trip so that will be the final test.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #48
dewaynehasty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
parabellum

So I had the puig touring screen but it was too tall. I also didn't like the tint as my eyes kept looking through it at times and the tint was throwing my vision off. There was also a weird horizontal reflection on the inside of the screen. The puig had odd airflow.

Today I received the parabellum 16", clear screen. It is much better. Now it isn't very pretty, just a shield if you will, but the airflow is really nice. My arms still get hit by air flow which I like but my face and chest get nothing. In the up position It just hits the top of my helmet. In the down position it just hits above my helmet shield. I can ride around with the helmet shield up without any issue.

I still occasionally look through the wind shield but since it is clear it isn't a problem. I think I'm going to tint the bottom half to improve the looks.

It was $170.

I would recommend this over the puig .

fyi, I'm 6'2, 33' inseam.

Having said all of that the madstad looks interesting but I wonder how much it costs???
dewaynehasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #49
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,162
I found that adjusting the screen all over the place, the quietest position is full up but forward at the bend that starts to rear. I then added the MRA spoiler and it is now really good.

Worked in 10 hour ride with about 6 of those hours in a downpour. I have no plans to add anything else.

I'm 5' 11" and 32" IS.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #50
IanC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
So, has anyone tried the Madstad yet? I'm tempted!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #51
Rat King
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
I ordered mine today. I had a KLR prior to upgrading to the 1190 and had one on it. It made the bike, if it is half as good as the KLR model I will be in heaven.

Soon as it arrives I will give a report..
Rat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #52
BHoward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:

Ordered the 20" medium gray, it will be here Thursday 6/05. This will be my 3rd windscreen for my 1190, hope it's a good one.
I will report back as well.
BHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #53
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:

Start at post #30
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=970344&page=2
Old 05-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #54
USPSATrevor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:

Below is my post from the other thread. I've got another 2k miles on it now and still totally happy. I have a 100 or so dirt/gravel miles with the screen flipped also, and it works great for that (a lot like the stock R screen fully down but with the benefit of protecting the head light).

I have a pre-production version. As feedback, I recommended that the brackets be a few inches shorter, but that was the only thing I could come up with as a change. I think they were going to make the change and allow the screen to bottom out a little lower than mine. Even if they don't/didn't, I'm totally happy with the purchase and feel confident others will be too.

I went on a bit of a marathon ride trying to catch a buddy that had a two day lead on me, and was on the road 16 hours one day. Doing that on the stock screen would have been absolute torture. The Madstad lets some wind pass to my elbows and allows the venting on my jacket to work, but it creates a calm and quiet pocket for my chest and head. For what I wanted, it is perfect.

----

Hey guys,

I just got back from a 500 mile trip with my 18" Madstad installed.

I love it!

I had one for my Tiger 800 that was great, but this one works even better. I was able to get my hands on one of the pre-production versions. I hear the only change is going to be raising up the mounting holes on the windshield (lowering the shield) about 1.75". That should be just about perfect.

I said it with the Tiger, and I'll say it for this one too - this is the best money I've spent on a farkle by far.

I'm leaving again tomorrow for another trip. This time about 1600 miles. I haven't taken it off road yet, but I think it is going to work great flipped and working as a headlight shield. Woohooo!

USPSATrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #55
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureLeo View Post
Hi there,

since almost 20000 Kilometres I am riding my 1190 around the world. (www.freiheitenwelt.de)

And since 20000 Kilometres I am trying to find a prober solution for the windshield. I had all original ones. Short, Standard, Touring. I shortened the short one. Then I extended the short one with another one. Right now I extended the Touring with a tiny peace by round about 5 centimetres.

And still - these wind vibrations on my Arai-X4 drive me nuts. I already got a tinnitus on both ears and can't ride without earplugs anymore.

Right now I am back on just the Touring shield. Till 80km/h it's still all right. But everything faster then 100km/h causes enormous vibrations.
Higher speeds are insane loud and all this is with earplugs and now wind... ;-(

I got a TT comfort seat, ads +3 centimetre, and I am 1,83 Meters TALL...

So here the question. Has anyone with the more or less body size, helmet and seat found a solution for this?

Since the plan is to travel for at least another 3 years this has become a serious topic to me. If I can't find a solution to this I can't continue my travels like I planned.... Travelling is nice - but I need my ears for some longer time...

Maybe this was discussed before somewhere - sry for the extra thread then...

Greetings Martin

All tips higly welcome...

I'm very sorry to read about this issue on the new 1190.
My 990 was almost perfect, everything great except the wind problems. I tried everything and nothing worked. I swear my brain liquified on a long 3000Km trip.

Im in search for a new bike, so I must eliminate the 1990 from my list....

Im also 6´1 .. and 32 inseam
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #56
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:

Mine will arrive Monday. Got the 18" in medium grey.
The stocker is pretty bad with an Arai XD4 anything over 55 MPH.

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #57
IanC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Just ordered my 22" medium grey for my 1190 R. Not sure how long it will take to UK.

IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #58
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewaynehasty View Post
So I had the puig touring screen but it was too tall. I also didn't like the tint as my eyes kept looking through it at times and the tint was throwing my vision off. There was also a weird horizontal reflection on the inside of the screen. The puig had odd airflow.

Today I received the parabellum 16", clear screen. It is much better. Now it isn't very pretty, just a shield if you will, but the airflow is really nice. My arms still get hit by air flow which I like but my face and chest get nothing. In the up position It just hits the top of my helmet. In the down position it just hits above my helmet shield. I can ride around with the helmet shield up without any issue.

I still occasionally look through the wind shield but since it is clear it isn't a problem. I think I'm going to tint the bottom half to improve the looks.

It was $170.

I would recommend this over the puig .

fyi, I'm 6'2, 33' inseam.

Having said all of that the madstad looks interesting but I wonder how much it costs???
Agreed.....on my 1800 miles trip I just went on the Parabellum was great to have in all sorts of weather.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote