Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
Tyserie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
KTM 950 adv. 2005 choke problem

Hi all,

2 months ago I was driving on the highway and the the bike start loosing power and died. Then when I started it up, it run for some time and then died or died immediately when I tried to give more throttle/gas. My friend switched the key off, then on and slowly tried to give full gas and low and again full and low. Then he switch the key off and on and I started up and the problem was gone.

Since that day, the bike had no problems like this. Yesterday I started up and the bike just died after few sec. or when I tried gas it, it died immediately. I did try that trick with throttle, but it doesn't help. So I tried to disconnect battery and connect it back after 5 min. and the problem was gone.

But, since that, I do hear a strong bass sound which could be just resonating plastic, or something connected with that problem I had. The sound isn't there where I go under 40km/h.

Do someone has some valuable advices? ;)
Tyserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
Tyserie OP
Adventurer

So am almost sure its vibration and its coming somewhere from air filter or maybe carbs. Not sure now.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Tyserie OP
Adventurer

Info just for case someone will have similar problem. Last time it happened two days ago. Just started to loose power and stopped. I noticed that its maybe similar behavior like when my Yamaha TT 600s is out of fuel :) Also when the issue is there, the bike is always able start, but its running low rev and it feels like only one cylinder is running. After many key_on and key_off and 20 starts and 20 mins ago, the issue is gone and its running like hell.

So am wondering, if this is well known problem with KTM shitti fuel pump (contacts)? I did order a new contacts repair kit. Tomorrow I will swap the contacts and wait if the problem will appear again. Hope not.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
It could well be the fuel pump. I found when my pump failed, that if you flick the ignition on and off, it forces the pump to move a bit, and you can get a bit of fuel into the carbs. I managed to ride home by stopping every few hundred metres and flicking the switch to get a bit more fuel.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #5
Tyserie OP
Adventurer

Hi all,

so, the change was done like week ago, till now, no problem. If the problem would no appear another 7 week, I will consider it for fixed.
http://www.wemoto.cz/bikes/ktm/950_r..._point_switch/

Video how to change it (am not author of the video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gYH7EVbM8Y