User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
novelnovice OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Wise KTM owners of advrider, HELP!!!

I recently bought a 2000 KTM LC4E. The bike was running, and I drove it home. Shortly after some issues arose. I was unable to start the bike. I replaced the the spark plug, the old was new but incredibly dark. I fired her up and got her to run, but I am uite sure she is burning oil. There is an indication light on when it is running, the oil temperature light. There are also a couple of wires loose and it looks as though the PO took a bunch of stuff off he shouldn't have. There is a yellow wire that runs from the rectifier that is unconnected. There is also a green/black (Ground?) wire that runs down the left side of the bike unconnected. It also seems as though an input into the air box has been removed. I could include pictures if it would be helpful. I would gladly pay somebody who knows about these bikes to have a look at it/fix it. I live in chicago. Thank you for all your time reading this. I am new to this forum so please pardon me if i have not written this post correctly.
novelnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 597
Easy there, lets take this one step at a time:

Firstly, it doesn't sound like you're very comfortable with working on machines, although you took the time to investigate: so that's a good sign.

Start HERE: LC4 640 Thread index

Chicago area KTM mechanics:

Team MCC
Three shops here
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
novelnovice OP
n00b

Thanks for the speedy reply. I can be comfortable working on machines. I rebuilt, a true basketcase, a dt250 before i decided i wanted something newer. The KTM is like a spaceship to me. I don't have the funds to take this thing to the dealer and ask them to figure out what is wrong. I have some other toys and i would just like this thing to drive through the summer. It is such a tractor and so much fun. I really just want to restore it to factory specs. problem is, I've taken a look at the service manual but i cant seem to find anything that indicates how the systems appear, aligned, connected.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
novelnovice OP
n00b

I really don't intend any snark. Really I'd love to see a fully functional lc4 E without fairings photographed. I have the mikuni carb. I have consulted the service manuals, but I can't find what's missing from them. This is the predicament I am in
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Bowber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Like heat said look in the LC4 forum, there's loads of good info there.
some of the wires may be from SAS and EPC removal, your left with a few loose wires.

Steve
Bowber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:45 AM   #6
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
I had a '01 640e and you'll find several unused wires on the bike, some are for European emissions and others are for the adventure version of your bike.

Also, if the bike previously sat for any length of time you may need to clean the jets in the carb. Take a look in the Thumper forum, 640 index thread for information http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958