ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 03:54 AM   #16
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
My trip was 4 years ago so maybe the Garmin software has improved but I am hoping to simplify things... adding a DSLR and maybe a gopro but eliminate a dedicated GPS...
The purists are going to flame me....

But some of the cellphone cameras are getting prettty good: lots of megapixels in the single shooter, and 1080p for video that actuallu looks better than gopro, since its flat.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #17
evermore OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
The purists are going to flame me....

But some of the cellphone cameras are getting prettty good: lots of megapixels in the single shooter, and 1080p for video that actuallu looks better than gopro, since its flat.
Taking a DSLR is a conscious decision and I agree, a smartphone could be sufficient. I just want to take the DSLR next time for those 10% of shots a small point&shoot or a good cell phone camera can't do, i.e. zoom shots and nice bokeh effects.

As for using the smart phone as a gopro, it'll be hard to use the phone mounted both as a GPS and gopro-like video camera at the same time. 5 years from now, some sort of version or competitor of Google Glass would be a great substitute :)
evermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #18
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,014
I modified my RAM smartphone mount to let me take videos while under way. It worked well once or twice, but most of the time, vibration is an issue.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #19
mattv
n00b

Oddometer: 1
tmobile 2g

To the OP...
I have a tmobile 5gb plan on a nokia 521 windows phone. When im not getting a 4g signal to my phone (phone indicates 2g) the only data that works is sms messaging This is true in the US and Europe. I just returned from Paris and other regions of France, and the UK. I never saw 4g and was only able to send receive sms. No web. I purchased a lycamobile (european provider) sim for the phone in London, but was never successful in configuring the apn info etc to get the phone doing data right. I was dissapointed. I recommend that you research for known working smartphone / provider combo prior to your departure, or else, just walk straight into an Orange retail location and prepare to drop some Euros in the shop.
mattv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #20
evermore OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattv View Post
To the OP...
I have a tmobile 5gb plan on a nokia 521 windows phone. When im not getting a 4g signal to my phone (phone indicates 2g) the only data that works is sms messaging This is true in the US and Europe. I just returned from Paris and other regions of France, and the UK. I never saw 4g and was only able to send receive sms. No web. I purchased a lycamobile (european provider) sim for the phone in London, but was never successful in configuring the apn info etc to get the phone doing data right. I was dissapointed. I recommend that you research for known working smartphone / provider combo prior to your departure, or else, just walk straight into an Orange retail location and prepare to drop some Euros in the shop.
Thanks for the update. The free international data is capped at 2G so that's not surprising, that it doesn't actually work for web makes it useless though. I guess I am hoping this is at least partially related to your nokia phone. Regardless, expecting T-mobile to work in every country won't fly so having some sort of backup (local sims) is necessary.
evermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #21
Tonyx
n00b

Oddometer: 4
One more data point

I was in Germany, France and Netherlands last month with my T-mobile iPhone 5. I traveled by train to those 3 countries and monitored my location via built in navigation with no issues. It consistently indicated 3G connection with various local carriers except for rare occasions.

I would not hesitate to navigate using my phone and T-mobile plan. I thought I would share my real world experience.
Tonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:07 AM   #22
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyx View Post
I was in Germany, France and Netherlands last month with my T-mobile iPhone 5. I traveled by train to those 3 countries and monitored my location via built in navigation with no issues. It consistently indicated 3G connection with various local carriers except for rare occasions.

I would not hesitate to navigate using my phone and T-mobile plan. I thought I would share my real world experience.

mmm, the OFFLINE mapping applications work so very well...
Old 06-19-2014, 04:14 AM   #23
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
mmm, the OFFLINE mapping applications work so very well...
yes, indeed, also in these countries.

in the Netherlands you can find most of the building numbers now, to route to, dutch osm community is importing them now. So nationwide coverage, probably end of the year, I read.

Incidentally, watching 3G, but whole day, I would not rely on.
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #24
psychopompos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I have a t-mobile plan and did a fair bit of navigating in Spain and France last month. The 2g is pretty much useless for google maps. Once I paid $15 for 200MBs of 3/4G data things improved considerably. Overall the low-end Garmin nuvi that I also had with me worked much better. The 2G definitely works for data, but is extremely rudimentary. A lot of websites will give up and timeout.

With that said, I fully commend the idea of using your phone for navigation, I just have no clue why you would choose to do it with google maps. If I'd had the bit of foresight to download Sygic or freeNav, or something similar I would have fared much, much better.
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote