Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #346
Ducandy
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I was brought to this forum originally by the "Coast To Coast With An Italian Supermodel" thread, as I'm a Ducati guy, name withstanding. I became morbidly fascinated with the Face Plants and being dangerously empathetic, shed more than a few tears over dear people I never met.

I registered so I could give props to Diesel1959! You are a trooper in more ways than one and I admire your grit and strength. Some of the strongest men I know are in wheelchairs. I have a friend that's numb from the tits down and he roadraced motorcycles for several years like that.

And good on you for being a cop. Cops are awesome. I shot this yesterday and want to share it with you guys:

http://youtu.be/Wl_uaGZlKEM
Ducandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #347
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Diesel, this does in no way compares:

Elective surgery to attempt a fix on 30 years of abuse....and a ton of Motor miles. Anyway, while convalescing....I found this:

...and picked it up on Wed..........

So yeah, go ahead and look, and dream , and rememberer.......so some day you will get in the wind again...IT WILL HAPPEN
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #348
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Sorry, folks--I haven't put up any updates in a while.

Well, as time has marched on, and I've visited my surgeon a couple more times, it seems like he's quite happy with the lengthening process and the overall repositioning of my lower leg with respect to the upper leg. During our last visit, the doctor stated that he was thinking that we've reached the correct length and that all that was needed was about six-day's worth of adjustments in order to bring the angle of the right leg into a better match with the left. For you geeks, he wanted to put the leg further into varus so that I'd be equally bowlegged.

On the 8th of July, my wife and I made the final adjustments and breathed a huge sigh of relief. Our trusty 10mm wrench has been there every step of the way and, since March, has made over five hundred adjustments to the rods connecting the two big rings. And it is an understatement to say that I felt each and every one of those adjustments. When we go back to see the doctor on the 23rd of July (after he gets back from vacation), the adjustment rods will be replaced with threaded rods and appropriate hardware to solidly lock the two rings into a stable configuration for the consolidation period--where the bone fills in the gap and solidifies. From what I understand, this will take a couple of months. When PT in the pool or on land will commence is just a guess at this point.

My knee is still unfunctioning and hasn't bent since the crash. At some point, they'll take me into the OR and, under general anesthsia, manipulate that knee to try to regain some range of motion. If that is successful, then at some point, we'll see if the range of motion is merely passive or active. If I've got the muscle and structure to move the lower leg at all, then there's a chance that I can eventually develop sufficient strength to completely straighten the leg and lock the knee. If I can't do these things, then some tough decisions will have to be made. I'll just leave it at that for now.

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #349
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,608
All right! Good news. Here's to more good news in the near future!
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #350
Morgan Steele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
Our trusty 10mm wrench has been there every step of the way and, since March, has made over five hundred adjustments to the rods connecting the two big rings. And it is an understatement to say that I felt each and every one of those adjustments.
Ouch! I hope you continue to improve. Best of luck!
Morgan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #351
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
I somehow almost missed your post Diesel. I am so glad I didn't. You continue in my prayers. I hope you can return to full duty even if you are not a motorcycle cop anymore. You can (will) ride your own bikes in off-duty time. Don't worry about your knee until you get to that point. Take this one thing at a time. Doing this will keep your stress levels down. Besides, there is not a thing you can do about that knee right now. Follow your doc's instructions to the letter. He has done you great so far. And really important, if you find yourself getting depressed involve one of your doctors. I know, I know, you are a cop and cops are macho and don't admit stress. But this one time, admit that right now you can't jump 10 story buildings and get help if you find you are getting depressed. Okay?

A friend who you have never met,
Doug from Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #352
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 150
Glad your recovery is progressing. Stay the course and trust in God.
Sending you a PM.
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #353
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 722
Diesel,
You are an inspiration to all of us!
Keep healing and progressing in this positive direction.
Best of luck.

Cheers,
S.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #354
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,943
Diesel .. hang in there .. we are all rooting for ya!!
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #355
RolyKBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Well done for staying so positive. Slow progress is still progress.
RolyKBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #356
complexCarlo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hang in there sir! See you guys around my woods all the time. Always nod or wave. Heal soon, feel better!

"If you're the smartest in the room, you're in trouble."
complexCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #357
ConspicuousPrejudice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 6
Damn! Glad you're alright now. Given your injuries, it's a wonder you're here to post about it. Was it the distal or proximal humeral head?
ConspicuousPrejudice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #358
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConspicuousPrejudice View Post
Damn! Glad you're alright now. Given your injuries, it's a wonder you're here to post about it. Was it the distal or proximal humeral head?
Proximal humeral head. As bad as the injuries to my right leg have been, it's quite possible that the injury to my right arm/shoulder will hamper me the most in the long run. Here's a not-recent picture I took of an x-ray:

Old 08-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #359
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, and BTW, there's been a lot going on. As of the end of July, I am at the proper leg length, rotation, and angulation. It's been a LONG process, but the surgeon is happy with the results thus far. On Tuesday this week, the surgeon swapped out the adjustable rods and replaced them all with straight threaded rods, spherical washers, flat washers, and lock nuts. Basically, the two rings are locked down in relation to one another and now we're in the consolidation phase--when the area of the femur that has been intentionally broken and stretched will now begin to grow together and then harden to the point where it will be load-bearing without the Ilisarov device.

In the meantime, the doctor has ordered me to begin water therapy all over again, so that I can begin bearing weight on the bone to stimulate healing. After about six weeks of that, they'll evaluate whether I've progressed enough to do PT on land and walk with a walker during therapy. We'll see.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #360
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Impressive....you are one tough bastard
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote