ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #91
RobZorba OP
RobZorba

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
FYI - I had my pipes coated as well. No change other than more general protection now and a better matching color.
Seems like a good idea ... what are the costs and benefits of ceramic coating compared with using a high temperature exhaust wrap e.g. MagmaWrap? Did you try using exhaust wrap first?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #92
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Seems like a good idea ... what are the costs and benefits of ceramic coating compared with using a high temperature exhaust wrap e.g. MagmaWrap? Did you try using exhaust wrap first?

My initial hope would be to reduce heat from under the seat but if it does I don't feel it. I know most of the heat is coming from the engine you're pretty much sitting on the back of but was hoping. Otherwise it has another coating of protection that can be polished or initially colormatched per your preference. I've not tried heat wrap. I don't care for the way it looks and have seen where it does more damage than good when on for a long time. No other experience with it and don't recall circumstances so not sure why it made things worse.

Cost varies with desired finish.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #93
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
FYI - I had my pipes coated as well. No change other than more general protection now and a better matching color.

What are referring to when you say "lower the A/F?"
Did you loose the cat?

A/F....bike runs lean...lean is hot...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #94
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,222
The problem is that the majority of the heat is coming from the radiator. The fuel tank wraps tightly around the radiator and forces the air to flow over the engine before it exits under the seat hitting the riders legs.

Rumor has it that an upcoming version of the 1190 has a modded tank that has vents that allow air to exit to the sides after the radiator.

Front Vents:

with a rear side exhaust:

Old 05-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #95
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
The problem is that the majority of the heat is coming from the radiator. The fuel tank wraps tightly around the radiator and forces the air to flow over the engine before it exits under the seat
Errrr, there are vents on both sides (which run through the fuel tank) to help hot airflow escape from the radiator on the 1190.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #96
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Did you loose the cat?

A/F....bike runs lean...lean is hot...

No. Cat is still in there. Just had the outside of the main pipe coated. Inside and out for the rear cylinder downpipe.

Again - What do you mean by lowering the A/F for cooler temps?
Old 05-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #97
fritztanic
n00b

Oddometer: 2
KTM 1190 - New Wings Seat Cooler / Heat Shield

Quote:
The problem is that the majority of the heat is coming from the radiator. The fuel tank wraps tightly around the radiator and forces the air to flow over the engine before it exits under the seat hitting the riders legs.

Rumor has it that an upcoming version of the 1190 has a modded tank that has vents that allow air to exit to the sides after the radiator.
Did you DIY the vents?
fritztanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #98
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
No. Cat is still in there. Just had the outside of the main pipe coated. Inside and out for the rear cylinder downpipe.

Again - What do you mean by lowering the A/F for cooler temps?
Air Fuel ratio....these bikes are running in the high 14's = lean = emissions passing = hot...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #99
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Errrr, there are vents on both sides (which run through the fuel tank) to help hot airflow escape from the radiator on the 1190.

Technically you are correct, but for all practical purposes the current venting system does not work very well. The hot air drawn out from the radiator tends to flow back under the seat not under the small side vents that are chocked up by the side panels.

Side vents

Panels chocking up side vents
Old 05-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #100
GSNoŽl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I dońt agree with this theory, Just because itīs only when stopping or riding ta low speed that you feel the heat, coming directly from the left side of the rear exhaust. As soon as you have a little speed it disappears
Old 05-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #101
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Not for me. I feel it the most when riding at a constant speed of say 30mph. If I stop right away and put my hand down under the seat area there is heat, but not like when I'm moving at a slow steady speed.

Plus, wouldn't that explain the new redesigned tank pictured above (post #94)?

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 05-24-2014 at 10:20 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #102
iasudoru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Plus, wouldn't that explain the new redesigned tank pictured above?
I think it's the MY2013/2014 tank.
I don't think that is the photograph above (probably MY2015?)
<textarea style="height: 80px; width: 444px; border: 1px solid grey; padding: 2px;"></textarea><select><option value="af">Afrikaans</option><option value="sq">Albanian</option><option value="ar">Arabic</option><option value="hy">Armenian</option><option value="az">Azerbaijani</option><option value="eu">Basque</option><option value="be">Belarusian</option><option value="bg">Bulgarian</option><option value="ca">Catalan</option><option value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)</option><option value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)</option><option value="hr">Croatian</option><option value="cs">Czech</option><option value="da">Danish</option><option value="auto" selected="selected">Detect language</option><option value="nl">Dutch</option><option value="en">English</option><option value="et">Estonian</option><option value="tl">Filipino</option><option value="fi">Finnish</option><option value="fr">French</option><option value="gl">Galician</option><option value="ka">Georgian</option><option value="de">German</option><option value="el">Greek</option><option value="ht">Haitian Creole</option><option value="iw">Hebrew</option><option value="hi">Hindi</option><option value="hu">Hungarian</option><option value="is">Icelandic</option><option value="id">Indonesian</option><option value="ga">Irish</option><option value="it">Italian</option><option value="ja">Japanese</option><option value="ko">Korean</option><option value="la">Latin</option><option value="lv">Latvian</option><option value="lt">Lithuanian</option><option value="mk">Macedonian</option><option value="ms">Malay</option><option value="mt">Maltese</option><option value="no">Norwegian</option><option value="fa">Persian</option><option value="pl">Polish</option><option value="pt">Portuguese</option><option value="ro">Romanian</option><option value="ru">Russian</option><option value="sr">Serbian</option><option value="sk">Slovak</option><option value="sl">Slovenian</option><option value="es">Spanish</option><option value="sw">Swahili</option><option value="sv">Swedish</option><option value="th">Thai</option><option value="tr">Turkish</option><option value="uk">Ukrainian</option><option value="ur">Urdu</option><option value="vi">Vietnamese</option><option value="cy">Welsh</option><option value="yi">Yiddish</option></select><select><option value="af">Afrikaans</option><option value="sq">Albanian</option><option value="ar">Arabic</option><option value="hy">Armenian</option><option value="az">Azerbaijani</option><option value="eu">Basque</option><option value="be">Belarusian</option><option value="bg">Bulgarian</option><option value="ca">Catalan</option><option value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)</option><option value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)</option><option value="hr">Croatian</option><option value="cs">Czech</option><option value="da">Danish</option><option value="nl">Dutch</option><option value="en">English</option><option value="et">Estonian</option><option value="tl">Filipino</option><option value="fi">Finnish</option><option value="fr">French</option><option value="gl">Galician</option><option value="ka">Georgian</option><option value="de">German</option><option value="el">Greek</option><option value="ht">Haitian Creole</option><option value="iw">Hebrew</option><option value="hi">Hindi</option><option value="hu">Hungarian</option><option value="is">Icelandic</option><option value="id">Indonesian</option><option value="ga">Irish</option><option value="it" selected="selected">Italian</option><option value="ja">Japanese</option><option value="ko">Korean</option><option value="la">Latin</option><option value="lv">Latvian</option><option value="lt">Lithuanian</option><option value="mk">Macedonian</option><option value="ms">Malay</option><option value="mt">Maltese</option><option value="no">Norwegian</option><option value="fa">Persian</option><option value="pl">Polish</option><option value="pt">Portuguese</option><option value="ro">Romanian</option><option value="ru">Russian</option><option value="sr">Serbian</option><option value="sk">Slovak</option><option value="sl">Slovenian</option><option value="es">Spanish</option><option value="sw">Swahili</option><option value="sv">Swedish</option><option value="th">Thai</option><option value="tr">Turkish</option><option value="uk">Ukrainian</option><option value="ur">Urdu</option><option value="vi">Vietnamese</option><option value="cy">Welsh</option><option value="yi">Yiddish</option></select>
English (auto-detected) Ľ Italian

iasudoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #103
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Wouldn't do that, your pipe will start corroding...
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #104
RobZorba OP
RobZorba

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
Wouldn't do that, your pipe will start corroding...
Thanks for the warning - I'm not gonna do it.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #105
straightline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
rode 120 miles today in high 80's and not once did I feel my inner thighs were getting hot. Thanks Wings...they work as advertised.
straightline is offline   Reply With Quote