ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #76
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
MotionX Drive or GPS?

I believe this is the "normal" behaviour on MotionX Drive if you're routing and not subscribing to the maps.

MotionX GPS. I just don't want to reach up to my screen every mile or so to move it back to where my cursor has moved to...
1985 XR600R tagged
1983 XL100S, 1980 XL80S, and 1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #77
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,701
I just had a quick look of the manual and cannot see even a way of toggling this behaviour off. Have you tried restoring to factory settings under Menu -> Setup -> Restore Factory Settings? Might be worth a shot...
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #78
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Try hitting the arrow (changes orientation) that's by the zoom levels.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #79
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016 View Post
Is there a way to set the app to automatically follow you while you are moving?
As indicated in the manual, click through on the arrow in map mode to the "position remains centered on the map" mode indigated by a cyan arrow.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #80
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,461
Laugh

New to this App... This thing is cool... I like jumping the fast way to get to the Google satellite .
Old 01-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #81
white boots
maps=no batteries

Oddometer: 15
TAT maps on motion X GPS HD

Has any one tried to put Sam's TAT GPS maps on this app? Can they be uploaded onto Motion X GPS HD? I am a supper NOOB and am trying to figure out my nav system for a trip that will include part of the TAT. Like the versatility of a tablet over a dedicated GPS.
white boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #82
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by white boots View Post
Has any one tried to put Sam's TAT GPS maps on this app? Can they be uploaded onto Motion X GPS HD? I am a supper NOOB and am trying to figure out my nav system for a trip that will include part of the TAT. Like the versatility of a tablet over a dedicated GPS.
as long as they are in a format that motionx accepts it shouldnt be a problem

go to the motion x site and do some reading , it's super easy to import tracks by using gpsimport@motionx.com just email the track to that address and open the email you get back on your iphone/ipad and follow the link
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #83
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
The MotionX on the iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by white boots View Post
You mean like this? ;)

I first laid out the TAT route on Google maps using the route making tool and the original maps. Some places where the TAT doesn't follow the road, you have to use the point to point function in GM to make it work. Once I was happy with all of it, I converted it to GPX (I think it ended up to be about 14 tracks total) and uploaded as per the instructions on MotionX. MotionX displays tracks, so it is just a matter of following the line, although it will not give you turn by turn.

If you have questions PM me and I'd be more than happy to walk you through what I know. There is a rather steep learning curve.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #84
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,577
I'm really liking this app. Got rid of my old trusty 276c and have been using this and a TT Voyager.

I just wish it allowed for use of the volume buttons to adjust zoom. Then a person could use a remote for a thumb switch and not have to mess with the touch screen.

I have written MotionX about this and they say they will look into it. I think that without a lot more people asking for the same thing, nothing will happen. So, if you think this would be worthwhile...Write them!

gps-support@motionx.com

cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #85
seevtsaab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I've been using motionX for a couple years now, works great.
I've been able to create custom routes via google maps, convert by various means to GPX and import to motionX, easy. Until now.

I'm now on a Window7 machine and none of the convert utilities (takeitwithme, GPSVisualizer, GMap2GPX) seems to work - perhaps a function of updated google maps? (indication of that reading thru comments on GMap2GPX)

I thought I had a work around by converting the google map to KML and converting that to GPX, but the resulting KML / GPX is the original google map route, not the customized route I created by dragging the route around, and saving it.

Any other google --> motionX users having issues or have creative ways to import customized map into motionX?
seevtsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #86
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by seevtsaab View Post
I've been using motionX for a couple years now, works great.
I've been able to create custom routes via google maps, convert by various means to GPX and import to motionX, easy. Until now.

I'm now on a Window7 machine and none of the convert utilities (takeitwithme, GPSVisualizer, GMap2GPX) seems to work - perhaps a function of updated google maps? (indication of that reading thru comments on GMap2GPX)

I thought I had a work around by converting the google map to KML and converting that to GPX, but the resulting KML / GPX is the original google map route, not the customized route I created by dragging the route around, and saving it.

Any other google --> motionX users having issues or have creative ways to import customized map into motionX?
I think it's a "new" google maps issue

have you tryed using google earth instead of google maps to make your route ?

Save it to KML and then convert to gpx ?
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #87
jeepster33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
The MotionX on the iPhone Thread

Try

http://www.routeconverter.de/home/en

I use it to convert GPX files into navigon files for my iPhone.

Also, if you haven't tried www.furkot.com check it out. It will export GPX and it's a nice overlay to google maps. This comes into motionx pretty well.

I just got motionx gps not too long ago. I am going to try it out for the first time going up to the Hiawatha rally in SE Minnesota for some of the TWAT gravel road sections. I'm used to voice turn by turn nav on the road, any tips for using motion x to nav ? It looks like I can follow a track and/or navigate to a waypoint.

jeepster33 screwed with this post 05-24-2014 at 05:20 PM
jeepster33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #88
seevtsaab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
I think it's a "new" google maps issue

have you tryed using google earth instead of google maps to make your route ?

Save it to KML and then convert to gpx ?

Well .... I didn't use google earth....but you are correct it is a 'new' (improved?)
google maps 'issue'.
I clicked the '?' in the lower right of google maps to use classic maps.
GMapToGPX still didn't respond but importing the KML -> KML2GPX.com produced a GPX file representing my customized map that I loaded into motionX just like the old days. Awesome! thanks

seevtsaab screwed with this post 05-26-2014 at 02:49 PM
seevtsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #89
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,927
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I want to input a destination and have a track show up for me to follow. I've managed to do this exactly once. Now I can't figure out how I did it.
Also, I have a serious block on the whole making a track/importing it process. I can't make a track in Google Earth for some reason.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #90
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
My wife and I just upgraded to new iPhones. I'll post our used ones in the flea market if your interested. We've been using MotionX for 2 years now.

XB12R screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 11:07 PM
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote