Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Critt OP
Gathering info

Oddometer: 113
Oregon 300 vs. Montana 650

Hello all. I have a line on two used GPSes: Oregon 300 and Montana 650.

The Montana is a lot more money, but comes with some mounts and extra maps. I really have no need for the camera on the GPS. The Oregon is probably capable of fulfilling my needs, but maybe is getting a little older. Apparently the screen is difficult to see.

Can somebody help explain to me (or help me justify) why I should spend 4 times the money on a Montana over an Oregon.

Montana ~ $400
Oregon ~$100

My uses are going to be mostly on-road motorcycling, with some back-road and off-road interspersed. Also, it would be nice to be able to use the unit in my car when I am not riding. (Trying to save money on the cell phone plan by reducing data usage).

Thanks in advance. Trying to make a decision soon, so your help is appreciated.
Critt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,966
If you have the $400, the Montana is a far better GPS than the Oregon. The power connection alone is one huge advantage the Montana has over the mini USB the Oregon uses.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Critt OP
Gathering info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
If you have the $400, the Montana is a far better GPS than the Oregon. The power connection alone is one huge advantage the Montana has over the mini USB the Oregon uses.
True, it will be convenient to wire it right to the bike (not have to worry about non-waterproof connection and NiMH batteries).
Old 05-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Critt OP
Gathering info

Went with the Montana. The wallet sure felt the hit though.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,966
You'll forget that fast enough. If you'd bought the Oregon, you would have regretted it far longer.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
I have an Oregon and have used it pretty extensively. If you create a track (or multipoint route) offline, it's adequate to use for following it. Or if you just want to route to an address, it will do it. I found it useless for "in the field" route planning or updates. The screen is too small and the resolution isn't there. You're zooming and panning all over trying to see actual roads/trails and put a route together. I also had issues keeping the charger plugged in-took some redneck engineering with velcro and shoelaces to keep it charging. Montana looks to have a much more useful sized screen and a better charger plug, though I personally have never used one.

One hint, don't get one with "built in" maps, buy the CD/DVD. You'll want to load them on both the computer and the GPS device. If you get the one with the "built in" map, you can't upload it to your computer, you'll have to spend another ~$100 for one. If you have the disc, you can load it on your device and computer-and I believe multiple devices. Don't do what I did and lose the damn disc though.
IdahoRenegade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
DennisK_ID
Old and In the Way

Oddometer: 34
Montana power

I have the Montana and love it. Don't have the audio hooked up but can almost always see the screen. it got this small town boy through rush hour traffic in Flagstaff.

If the unit isn't connecting well with the pins on the mount, it won't work. It is odd. It isn't that it just won't charge, it won't recognize satellites or work at all. First I encountered that was after lunch. I'm pretty sure someone tried to steal the unit. Jerking it around in the locked RAM mount must have gotten it to a bad connection condition. I noticed it didn't recognize when the power was switched on (I have it wired to switched power). I had to turn the unit on by hand then it would recognize that it had power supplied to it. A few miles down the road it completely quit working. Couldn't find a satellite. Removing the unit and remounting fixed the problem but freaked me out a little. I screw in the lock on the RAM mount while riding but unscrew it and take it along if I'm away from the bike more than 5 minutes.