ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
DennisK_ID OP
Old and In the Way

Oddometer: 33
Tablet with Garmin Base Camp?

Love my new Montana and can search for something and let it plan me a route to that something. However, plotting an adventure route on that unit seems awkward. I'm considering taking along something like an 8-inch tablet that might hold Garmin Base Camp and have a USB port so I could transfer routes to the GPS unit. (How feasible is this and what should I consider?) OK pretty easy (after the searches I should have done 1st).

I'm leaning to a Windows 8 tablet like the Asus T100TA. The other choice would be one of the 8 inch Windows 8 tablets. Any thoughts?

DennisK_ID screwed with this post 05-26-2014 at 04:37 PM
DennisK_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,288
Basecamp on an 8" touch device is pretty marginally functional by itself, add a Bluetooth mouse and things get better.
If you can't find that Asus and get a Windows tablet I suggest getting the 64Gb one, not the 32Gb version.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,131
Will Basecamp run on one of those things? I don't believe the Windows tablets are Intel chipsets, so it may not. You might want to check before buying one.

IMO your best bet is probably a netbook, or if you have the budget, an 11" MacBook Air. They're small, relatively light, and should be able to run basecamp as long as you have enough memory and storage space. You can pick up a refurbed MacBook Air on the Apple store website at a pretty good price. Just get at least 4 gig of RAM and 256 gig of storage.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Will Basecamp run on one of those things? I don't believe the Windows tablets are Intel chipsets, so it may not. You might want to check before buying one.
The Surface RT does not run "regular" Windows. Nobody in their sane mind would buy one of these. The Surface Pro runs Windows 8.x and will run Basecamp and any other Windows apps.
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,288
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to stress what EmmEff said, the tablet needs to be running the full version of Windows 8 not the RT version. Microsoft's naming scheme for their Surface tablets is very confusing. My 8" tablet is an Acer Iconia W3-810 but only the 32Gb version (marginal).
Old 05-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 809
Windows surface pro 2 or 3. The 3 is a pre order. bigger screen. faster and less weight. Perfect device for on the road.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,159
I just got a Dell Venue 8 Pro, Win 8.1. $199 @Walmart. It seems to run BaseCamp well, and seems promising for travel use. I would not want to lay out a long route with it. I'm also using a USB mouse with a micro USB adapter; again, it works well. I also got the Dell keyboard, small and compact, but the Windows on-screen keyboard works well, too.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote