Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Rubberlegs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
what am I missing?

I see that a lot of inmates are using their mobile phones (aka Iphone) as a GPS.

I have done this in the past as well,

cheap since I already have an Iphone, I like to listen to music while riding so the voice prompts work pretty good.

some of the issues I have,
- I do not have a water proof case and no way of mounting it to see the screen and even if I did, the screen is pretty small.
- google maps is ok for getting to a city or a postal/zip code but it totally sucks for finding nearby things (will direct you to a gas station far away when you sometimes have one nearby)
- DATA, most map programs use data. I do not have a data plan for the US and a lot of the places I ride have no 3G or cell data.

so my question is, how are you guys finding your way around these issues?

thks
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post
Umm, not using Google Maps?

There is CoPilot, TomTom, Sygic, and others all of which contain downloadable maps and do not require a data plan to navigate.

In fact, I am not sure about the fascination with Google Maps.

I've attached my phones (iPhone 4 and Nexus 4) to my bike using a RAM X-Grip mount successfully. Wouldn't be great for off-road riding, but works great on-road.

There are lots of discussions about using a smartphone as a GPS in these GPS forums...
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
I see that a lot of inmates are using their mobile phones (aka Iphone) as a GPS.

- I do not have a water proof case and no way of mounting it to see the screen and even if I did, the screen is pretty small.
Small screen. You chose the iPhone. There are many choices in smartphones. Some of them make a normal GPS device look tiny.
I use an open RAM finger grip mount. I seldom have an issue with the rain. The few times I do, I just put away the smartphone and don't use it. I find that during the rain I don't care for any GPS distraction anyway, so even though I can find ways around the rain issue, I don't bother. I do carry a clear bag that I can slip over the phone called an aLocSak. It is transparent and seals it well. Just in case I really want routing in a heavy rain. But even then, I typically hide the smartphone and just listen to the Bluetooth.
Edit: One day I did make a 'game' out of the ride in the rain. I had been out all day and didn't bring any rain gear with me. It started to rain, and I slipped my phone into a bag and brought up a live radar. I was about an hour from home, but it took me about three hours to get home as I road around in circles avoiding the dark clouds on radar. I found a number of interesting roads that day, and stayed fairly dry.

Google maps. Seldom use that. I use offline maps most of the time like OSMand or CoPilot. If you are going to use Google online maps often, you are doing something I don't. use the Gasbuddy app to find the nearest station.

See the previous comment on software. Offline data may work most of the time, but relying on it is a bad idea IMHO. Plus the constant data downloading eats the batteries, and make the smartphone run hot. Just a bad idea IMHO.

worwig screwed with this post 05-23-2014 at 05:45 AM
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
[QUOTE=Rubberlegs;24223535]I see that a lot of inmates are using their mobile phones (aka Iphone) as a GPS.

I have done this in the past as well,

cheap since I already have an Iphone, I like to listen to music while riding so the voice prompts work pretty good.

some of the issues I have,

Quote:
good: the iphone has a million waterproof cases, some provide for charging too.
bad: the iphone has a tiny screen and proprietary connector.

Quote:
- google maps is ok for getting to a city or a postal/zip code but it totally sucks for finding nearby things (will direct you to a gas station far away when you sometimes have one nearby)
good: motionx, cache your maps to use offline
bad: motionx, i think that might be the only offline usable iphone app ?

good: androids are CHEAP and there are TONS of totally offline applications that work very well on it.
bad: you might hate iphone after a few hours on android

Quote:
- DATA, most map programs use data. I do not have a data plan for the US and a lot of the places I ride have no 3G or cell data.

good: download all your maps/routes/tracks from WIFI, then leave it in airplane mode to reduce battery usage
bad: i don't know if motionx stores waypoints/poi/etc like the android apps do

Quote:

thks

most of those issues are related to the platform you're on: ios/iphone
the easiest way around all those issues is to buy a cheap waterproof phone from craigslist and load OSMAND or LOCUS on it.