Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #3031
sproot
Sturdy Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Cry Billet hub failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
the downside of the RAD units have been intermittent QC problems resulting from some of their machinists running finishing cuts at too fast a speed causing the bearing bores to be tapered ...resulting in bearing seizing issues.

woody
So this is interesting to me, because I have a set of your 19/17 Caponord / Billet wheels on my 950 Adventure, and the rear hub arrived with one of the disk mounting holes out of line (I had to re-drill it to get the bolt in) and now the bearing housings have failed - they appear to have stretched and the bearings now have ~0.5mm of lateral movement. I discovered this when I pulled the bearings thinking they were done, but the bearings were actually fine, it was the housings that were shot. I have some crappy camera phone pics but they don't show much, I was in a hurry - needed the bike - so I took a few snaps and glued the new bearings in (loctite 638 I think).

This is obviously going to become an issue when the new bearings fail, because I won't be able to get them out. They're about 4 or 5 years old, so well out of warranty, so my question is: Can I replace the Billet with an OEM hub? Are the spoke mounts identical? I'm in the UK so I don't want to return the wheel to you, I can get it rebuilt here for less than the shipping will cost.

If they're not the same, do you have a spoke kit to lace the Capo 17" rear to an OEM hub, and will my local wheel builder be able to replicate your superlace? I have zero complaints about the wheels, in 5 years and 30k miles I've never so much as had to tighten a spoke.
sproot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #3032
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
What rims have safety beads, etc.

There is no exact science to what rims have safety beads and what rims do not. Most often rims that are 2.50" or wider have a safety bead, but there are exceptions i.e the 18x2.50" DID rim does not, and a 21x2.15" Sun rim does. Many times you can tell by the profile of the rim without removing a tire, but not always the case. The rim manufacturers are not typically installing the safety bead to be able for someone to run tubeless, typically it's for the wider rims, even with tubes, to prevent tire to falling into drop center if bead is broken, but it is a requirement of ours in order to seal a wheel for tubeless.

There are some DID rims with safety beads, but not always. The DID Supermoto rims that are 17x3.50, 17x4.25, or 17x5.00" have a safety bead.

The stock wheels for the CRF230M are not tubeless. You may be able to seal them for tubeless, but would want to confirm they have a safety bead. I don't have specs on the CRF230M front rim, but the rear rim is a 3.50" rim, the front tire is 110/70-17, which usually means about a 2.50" front rim. If you have the bike you can look on the side of the rim or area right next to the nipples and see a stamp with the size of the rim. It is likely that minimally the rear rim has a safety bead on the rim. It is possible that the front rim has it. Only way to confirm absolutely would be to remove the tire.

You can sometimes use a 17x3.50" front rim on a rear depending on how wide the rear hub is, how the front rim is drilled, lace pattern for the rear hub, will likely need to angle/drill the holes out and countersink for the rear hub, and likely need larger nipples than ones provided. Ideally you would purchase a 17x3.50" rim already drilled for the front hub, but there are very few and almost none that are not custom at this time. Foresee this being more of a possibility in the future as dual sport market grows. Obviously we can get you one, but it would be custom.

Hope that was not too confusing and feel free to ask for any clarification.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Woody, what manufacturers have a safety bead?

I recently noticed Motostrano is selling DID bare rims. Do you know if a CRF230M is tubeless?

My second question is, can a front (3.5") rim be used in a rear? His "rears" are 5" and I can't swing that...

Sadly I have a rear 16" tire, but it has a cush drive so a rear disc brake is out. I'm gonna use my rear hub... KI$$
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #3033
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Super Moto DRZ-125L

Sounds like a fun project. If you are doing yourself and want easy build, then best bet would be to buy the parts you specified from Buchanan's or through us at same price. Mainly because those rim sizes will be difficult to find with correct drilling Rims will be punched properly, spoke lengths will be correct(although if ordering through them ask that they not be too long so don't have to grind the spokes once trued), and nipples correct size.

May not be the "least" expensive on the front end, but will save time and energy in the long run.

Just count the number of spokes on your hub and you'll know how many holes you need. If the rims are available in dimpled then recommend dimpled rims.

Contact us if you need us to get for you or contact Buchanan's and good luck with your project either way.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by koth442 View Post
Hi Woody,

I'm interested in building myself a set of 17" wheels for DRZ-125L. I'm very interested in doing the assembly myself as I think it will be a neat project; however I'm a college kid on a tight budget.

My build plan so far:

OEM hubs (used OEM seem to be cheaper than RAD or Talon)
Buchanan SS spokes/Zinc nipples
Excel rims
Front: 2.5 x 17"
Rear: 3.5 x 17"

Any suggestions or details to be careful of when selecting? For example, making sure the number of spokes are correct per the hub and rim? I am undecided on dimpled or undimpled.

Thank you in advance

Leon
Old 05-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #3034
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

19x2.50 for F800GS

You should be able to make the 19x2.50" rim off of the F650GS work with some modifications to the spoke holes. You will need custom spokes and nipples, which you may be able to obtain in Europe from companies like Alpina, Devon rim, or Central Wheel. Otherwise we could likely figure out and get a spoke set to you. Spoke sets are about $100 per wheel.

The quality of the F650GS Behr rim is not that good for much off-road(but likely will do less with 19" front) and better off, increasing the size of the nipple as they are quite small for a F800GS, which will require some drilling to the rim.

Don't know as much about the Freewind, but looks like can make it work and the nipples look larger and looks like Excel rim, which usually Suzuki uses on their stock wheels.

Don't know much about the Pegoso, but Alpina likely made the spokes, and rim is likely a Behr or DID rim. Also uses smaller spokes and nipples and hub design very similar to the BMW F650 as an aside.

Suzuki Freewind will likely require least amount of drilling because F800 & Freewind hub appear to be more similar, but likely could make others work.

Hope that gets you going in right direction and feel free to ask for clarification.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilis_sti View Post
Hello from Greece. I have a F800GS and would like to change the front with a laced rim (I have the original hub) and placing a 19x2.50 rim.
I have found some in used condition, but I am not sure how can they be laced with the Bmw hub.
19x2.50 are from the older F650 (needs painting) and the same dimension is from a Suzuki Freewind or Aprilia Pegaso (these have almost identical color as the 21' Behr rim). What spokes/nipples would I need? is this possible?
I wish my budget wasnt so low in order to buy a ready wheel from you but...
Thanking you in advance!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #3035
koth442
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Sounds like a fun project. If you are doing yourself and want easy build, then best bet would be to buy the parts you specified from Buchanan's or through us at same price. Mainly because those rim sizes will be difficult to find with correct drilling Rims will be punched properly, spoke lengths will be correct(although if ordering through them ask that they not be too long so don't have to grind the spokes once trued), and nipples correct size.

May not be the "least" expensive on the front end, but will save time and energy in the long run.

Just count the number of spokes on your hub and you'll know how many holes you need. If the rims are available in dimpled then recommend dimpled rims.

Contact us if you need us to get for you or contact Buchanan's and good luck with your project either way.

Thanks,
Chris
Thank you for the response. If I do follow through with this project, I will definitely be in contact with you to set up a purchase.

Leon
AFM #367, Thank you to my sponsors: Galfer, Good Times Motorsports, Woodcraft, Vortex, Riders Discount, RaceTech, Leo Vince, SpeedMob, Precision Trackdays and ARC
www.facebook.com/calsciracing
koth442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #3036
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Heading down to Woody's tomorrow. I need some new rubber installed on my Super Tenere Rims. Can't beat the $25 per wheel, work with the local guy, and good people.
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #3037
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Bearing Failure's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproot View Post
So this is interesting to me, because I have a set of your 19/17 Caponord / Billet wheels on my 950 Adventure, and the rear hub arrived with one of the disk mounting holes out of line (I had to re-drill it to get the bolt in) and now the bearing housings have failed - they appear to have stretched and the bearings now have ~0.5mm of lateral movement. I discovered this when I pulled the bearings thinking they were done, but the bearings were actually fine, it was the housings that were shot. I have some crappy camera phone pics but they don't show much, I was in a hurry - needed the bike - so I took a few snaps and glued the new bearings in (loctite 638 I think).

This is obviously going to become an issue when the new bearings fail, because I won't be able to get them out. They're about 4 or 5 years old, so well out of warranty, so my question is: Can I replace the Billet with an OEM hub? Are the spoke mounts identical? I'm in the UK so I don't want to return the wheel to you, I can get it rebuilt here for less than the shipping will cost.

If they're not the same, do you have a spoke kit to lace the Capo 17" rear to an OEM hub, and will my local wheel builder be able to replicate your superlace? I have zero complaints about the wheels, in 5 years and 30k miles I've never so much as had to tighten a spoke.

Hi,

Great to hear about the wheel holding true this long, bearing's and disc hole is not acceptable.

Unfortunately like woody said we don't have all the QC control and sometimes it get's past us too.

The best thing to do is get a new RAD billet hub as the oem hub would need new spokes, and the newer Machinist has tidied up the spec's, we do still re-grease the bearing's to ensure a longer life as well.

If you want to email us at woodyswheelworks@gmail.com we can get some parts' for you.

Thanks Zach
Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #3038
basilis_sti
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thank you very much for your answer!

Quote:
You should be able to make the 19x2.50" rim off of the F650GS work with some modifications to the spoke holes. You will need custom spokes and nipples, which you may be able to obtain in Europe from companies like Alpina, Devon rim, or Central Wheel. Otherwise we could likely figure out and get a spoke set to you. Spoke sets are about $100 per wheel.

The quality of the F650GS Behr rim is not that good for much off-road(but likely will do less with 19" front) and better off, increasing the size of the nipple as they are quite small for a F800GS, which will require some drilling to the rim.

Don't know as much about the Freewind, but looks like can make it work and the nipples look larger and looks like Excel rim, which usually Suzuki uses on their stock wheels.

Don't know much about the Pegoso, but Alpina likely made the spokes, and rim is likely a Behr or DID rim. Also uses smaller spokes and nipples and hub design very similar to the BMW F650 as an aside.

Suzuki Freewind will likely require least amount of drilling because F800 & Freewind hub appear to be more similar, but likely could make others work.

Hope that gets you going in right direction and feel free to ask for clarification.

Thanks,
Chris
basilis_sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #3039
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Hi,

Converting the front to a 19'' would be a great mod. to get a better street machine, while still working good off-road and supplying a wider range of tire choice's as well.

We would be able to lace a 19 x 2.5 or 19 x 2.15 onto your oem hub with stainless steel spokes/nipples. It would be $475 + shipping for superlace with stainless steel spokes/nipples and a new 19 x 2.5 silver excel.

We can also seal the 2.5 x 19 excel rim's for tubeless tire's using our sealing process, it's only $99 extra per wheel to seal ea. wheel.

Thanks Zach

A few more ideas from woody,,just got back in town....

FYI,,,we can check if we have some good used rims and/ or spokes,,you could save another $10 for regular custom lace IMHO,,you do you want beefier spokes...and standard or custom the kit is same price....

FYI,,,there are no 2.15 rims with safety beads for sealing /tubeless application.

FYI,,,the optimal tire on 2.5 x19 rim is 120/80x19 A-OK on the 650,,may be overkill for the smaller 350,,,it would work provided ya have 120+mm between fork tubes,,,a smaller tire may be better for the 350 circa 100/80 or 90 x19.....why carry all that extra rotational mass around...

Years ago roadracing RD-350/400s i thought bigger was better,,,i learned too big meant i couldn't accelerate /decelerate as fast...ya ahve to find the happy medium between putting all the power to the ground at all lean angles AND still have a light tire/rim/wheel combo

woody

This was my question as well, but I just sent an email regarding some rear wheel options also.
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #3040
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
I have a set of your sealed F800GS wheels. What's the concise advice I give to the self-assured tire jockey at the motorcycle shop along the road when having a tire change? Keep in mind that he'll be sure he knows everything.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #3041
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

advice to tire changers of your sealed for tubeless wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
I have a set of your sealed F800GS wheels. What's the concise advice I give to the self-assured tire jockey at the motorcycle shop along the road when having a tire change? Keep in mind that he'll be sure he knows everything.

Fred

Here's my advice for anyone changing sealed for tubeless wheels whether mine or anyone elses:

1,be care-full ie BE FULL OF CARE....here' s how...

2,, use plenty of lube for removing /replacing the tire....lube let's the tire slip n slide to give ya the slack not to ruin the sealants.

3,, be care-full where ya place the tire irons so that ya do not gouge /rip the sealant

that should do it..
good luck

and happy fathers day to all

woody
Old 06-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #3042
guitarkrab
Enduro

Oddometer: 1
Husky TE250 year 11 SuperMoto conversion

Hey expert! LOL

I would like to buy the OEM hubs for my Husky, then put in 17" wheels and spokes, my question is, the OEM hubs are designed for 18 and 21". Will the 17" rims and spokes work on these hubs? Im planning to put front 17x3.5 and rear 17x 5.

This is in order to have dirt and SuperMoto sets of wheels and be able to swap them depending on what Im doing. I dont want to go with Warp9.

Thanks in advance for your expertise
guitarkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:42 AM   #3043
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

17" Supermoto rims to stock Husky hubs

Yes, you can lace Supermoto rims to stock hubs. Just want to make sure you order correct parts. The superior way is to get custom length spokes, better quality nipples, & have rims drilled & countersunk properly for your hubs.
Otherwise you can buy rims & spoke kits from companies like Excel(may be unable to order direct), Pro Wheel(via distributor), Dubya, Rad that have the rims and offer spoke kits to lace to your stock hubs. Often they are stock quality and use aluminum nipples which tend to stretch over time, but generally kits save at least 20-30% over the custom option above.

Also, something to consider on the rear is that when you go on the street the tire links up better and puts more pressure on the wheel & your transmission. One of the better solutions is to go with a cush drive hub on the rear to alleviate this pressure. It will be more expensive in short run, but the best set-up for the long run.

In short, if you plan on using the SuMo set-up rarely go with Warp 9, if using occasionally one of or similar SuMo kits mentioned above, using often go with custom kit, using very often, perhaps track days, go with cush drive.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkrab View Post
Hey expert! LOL

I would like to buy the OEM hubs for my Husky, then put in 17" wheels and spokes, my question is, the OEM hubs are designed for 18 and 21". Will the 17" rims and spokes work on these hubs? Im planning to put front 17x3.5 and rear 17x 5.

This is in order to have dirt and SuperMoto sets of wheels and be able to swap them depending on what Im doing. I dont want to go with Warp9.

Thanks in advance for your expertise
Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #3044
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Hi Woody,

A couple months ago I asked you for a quote on some Excel rims. I've been busy since then, so I never got to actually pull the trigger, but it also made me rethink my color choice. So I kindly ask for a new quote for my 1988 Honda Africa Twin. I'm looking for:

Front 21"x1.85" -36 spoke, GOLD Excel rim.
Rear 17"x3.5" -32 spoke, GOLD Excel rim.
Stainless steel, 8 gauge spoke set for front rim (36 spokes).
Stainless steel, 8 gauge spoke set for rear rim (32 spokes).

How much for just the above materials, and how much extra is it to send in my front and rear hubs to have laced up to those two new rims using 8 gauge SS spokes?

Thank you.
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #3045
robbiedobbie
Robbiemyboy

Oddometer: 245
New BMW GSA

Hi Woody, I have the new GSA with a 3' x19" front rim. Ive just returned from riding on some very rough tracks and roads in central Australia. I have found that 7 front spokes were not even finger tight on the front rim. Ive tightened them up but the wheel is now slightly buckled. This may be down to weaker wheels or tyres. if i purchase a new front wheel can i run more tyre choices? At the moment i have only TKC80 and Karoo 3; Ideally i'd like 110x80x19.

Thank you.