ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #1231
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,887
Ok my turn.

I have been following this thread since Dec 2013.
I had high hopes with all the promises of: MP3, FM radio, weather radio, android apps, wifi, AMPS, TEMPE, etc. I got my Monterra from my lovely wife for Christmas.
Well there have been many problems along they way.

My last big trip was down to Baja for 8 days in March on my 530 EXC. I had all kinds of issues on the first day, which did not bode well when your supposed to be one of the guys that knows what he's doing on a guided ride. Luckily I brought my 60Cx as a back up.

I am up to date on SW version: 2.90_1.20.00

1. BaseCamp and Mapsource do not recognize that the Monterra is connected. So I can not upload or down load tracks. This is a deal breaker.
I know this isn't the USB connection as "Monterra" shows up in my PC file explorer, and displays "internal storage" (but not the microSD card). I also notice that when I plug it in it says something about "connecting as a Camera", but I don't know how to change this. Anyone run into this?

2. I continuously get "Garmin Outdoor Apps is not responding. Would you like to close it?" This happens at start up and randomly after is is running during use.

3. When I turn it on it takes up to 8 minutes for the Garmin apps to load before I can even view the map.

4. Radio app does not work. I can tune to a known station and I can barely hear talking over the massive static. (with headphones attached)

5. Weather radio has massive static on all 7 stations. (with headphones attached)

6. TEMPE doesn't always connect, very intermittent.

I'm sure there are other things that I am forgetting, but this is really frustrating!

Any Help would be appreciated, before I send it down the road.

NWBoarder screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 01:22 PM
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #1232
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I had several of the problems you were talking about several revisions ago about the first of the year. The Basecamp one was especally troubling. Taked to the very nice Garmin support and they isolated the problem with a Microsoft Net Framework issue. They got Microsoft on the phone and next revision by Microsoft and the problem was solved. I have also been having issues with bad usb cables. Change the cable and all OK. Probably explains weird problems I was having with other devices.
I haven't used any of the radio functions, but pretty much everything else works OK. Oh yeah, my Cardo intercom doesn't like giving voice instructions from the Monterra if WiFi is on.Turn WiFi off, and all is good.
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #1233
FulThrotl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleThumper View Post
Almost $1,000 bucks for all the crap .............
fooey. in a stroke of mad consumerism, i bought the thing before
i bought my current bike, and then my current bike turned out to
be a beta, which comes with a voyager gps.

my first thrill was discovering that the data card you purchase
for this piece can't really be used for anything. you can't put
birdseye imagery on it and have the device use it, which was
really what i wanted the large amount of storage for.

battery life? i suspect the main purpose of the battery is to keep
the unit alive from your laptop to the bike cradle. for any
handheld usage, this thing is silly.

garmin has a long, well deserved history of mediocre product
development... after becoming used to IOS and the level of
integration between products using it, anything garmin would
ever be capable of doing would be like beating rocks together
by comparison.

the birdseye imagery is just pitiful. you can select somewhere
between 200 and 250 megs of data, and then garmin will take
three hours to allow you to download it, as they throttle the
output off their site.

the first time i tried it, i thought the server was offline, and
then discovered that it was just kludged by design.

my beta is supposed to arrive at the dealer today, so maybe
i'll get it for this weekend... but the more i'm thinking about
it, i think i might just take this piece, and the brackets, and
sell it unused.

i'm sure someone on ebay would want a cup of koolaid
with only one sip out of it, and a dead fly floating in it.
hell, i bought the cup new, paid full retail, and saw the
fly floating in it, and bought it anyway....
FulThrotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #1234
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Powered Mount pins

Only the center pin should be energized, right?
thanks
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #1235
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder View Post
Ok my turn.

I have been following this thread since Dec 2013.
I had high hopes with all the promises of: MP3, FM radio, weather radio, android apps, wifi, AMPS, TEMPE, etc. I got my Monterra from my lovely wife for Christmas.
Well there have been many problems along they way.

My last big trip was down to Baja for 8 days in March on my 530 EXC. I had all kinds of issues on the first day, which did not bode well when your supposed to be one of the guys that knows what he's doing on a guided ride. Luckily I brought my 60Cx as a back up.

I am up to date on SW version: 2.90_1.20.00

1. BaseCamp and Mapsource do not recognize that the Monterra is connected. So I can not upload or down load tracks. This is a deal breaker.
I know this isn't the USB connection as "Monterra" shows up in my PC file explorer, and displays "internal storage" (but not the microSD card). I also notice that when I plug it in it says something about "connecting as a Camera", but I don't know how to change this. Anyone run into this?

2. I continuously get "Garmin Outdoor Apps is not responding. Would you like to close it?" This happens at start up and randomly after is is running during use.

3. When I turn it on it takes up to 8 minutes for the Garmin apps to load before I can even view the map.

4. Radio app does not work. I can tune to a known station and I can barely hear talking over the massive static. (with headphones attached)

5. Weather radio has massive static on all 7 stations. (with headphones attached)

6. TEMPE doesn't always connect, very intermittent.

I'm sure there are other things that I am forgetting, but this is really frustrating!

Any Help would be appreciated, before I send it down the road.
You really should call Garmin Product Support. They should replace your Monterra. They have known about the Weather Radio and Tempe issues for many months and there has been no software fix. I personally don't believe they can fix it with software.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #1236
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Only the center pin should be energized, right?
thanks
Correct.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #1237
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Powered Mount "Fix"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Correct.
Thanks, welcome back.

After I did the sw update it no longer froze if I put it in mount when on already, but it gave me the External Power Lost message and wouldn't use 12V source. Triple checked my wiring and finally bit the bullet and did a Factory data reset, 60 apps and custom maps installs and all. :-(

It got worse! The message would flash rapidly and randomly and even hung in the background and then eventually would not even respond to my selection to stay on and would just count down to powering off.

I swapped it for a new one. New one gives no message when mounted, but won't use 12V though. Today Support said my 12.85V (bike off) at center pin when grounding to bars and 11.5 when grounding to pin to right of center pin is fine. He put his Monterra in amps mount and said it was acting funny and asked if I got a GOA not responding message. Hmm

Support thinks my mount is bad so they are sending me a new one. It worked ok before the sw "mount fix."

Fingers crossed that a new mount is all I need.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #1238
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I'm having some issues with the v2.90_1.20.00 software update. After being on and recording Track Log for a few hours, the device starts posting error messages about most of the Google OS and GOA apps stopping.

At first I thought this might be caused by the Launcher App I installed but removing that App and reinstalling the update had no effect on the error conditions.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #1239
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I'm having some issues with the v2.90_1.20.00 software update. After being on and recording Track Log for a few hours, the device starts posting error messages about most of the Google OS and GOA apps stopping.

At first I thought this might be caused by the Launcher App I installed but removing that App and reinstalling the update had no effect on the error conditions.
Mine has been running great on our motorcycle trip to Alaska, but today it started doing exactly as you described. I will be in a world of hurt if this doesn't settle down. Well, maybe not. I switched to the CoPilot Android app and it seem to work for navigation, though we did all of our trip planning on basecamp. Then, all of a sudden, it is back to normal. Garmin needs to fix this. I am bout 850 miles into an 8000 mile trip past the Arctic Circle to where the road ends.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #1240
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbo View Post
Mine has been running great on our motorcycle trip to Alaska, but today it started doing exactly as you described. I will be in a world of hurt if this doesn't settle down. Well, maybe not. I switched to the CoPilot Android app and it seem to work for navigation, though we did all of our trip planning on basecamp. Then, all of a sudden, it is back to normal. Garmin needs to fix this. I am bout 850 miles into an 8000 mile trip past the Arctic Circle to where the road ends.
The good news is that there aren't many roads to chose from up there.

Hope you have a great ride.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #1241
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,555
assuming all goes well i'll have a monterra next week. i'll give garmin's default app a shot but my backup plan is osmand or locus. i already have a montana but that will get handed down to my riding partner (she can lead for once!).

also looking forward to using one hardwired device for music so i can save the battery on the phone while traveling.

both the montana and monterra threads have been excellent sources of information. thanks for everyone's efforts.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #1242
cotton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbo View Post

Do not let Garmin mess up your trip!! Enjoy your time. Brother and I got back from a 6 day ride and had a blast. Used the Monterra the whole trip. Was before this last update. Only problem I had was the internal memory filled up with pictures and lost some waypoints. Now have a camera app to write to the sd card. Why Garmin's will not be this is beyond me. Anyway have a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #1243
Elsjo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Monterra vs Montana

Is the Monterra qua routing on the same level as the Montana? Thinking about ordering a Monterra because I realy mis the bluetooth and MP3 would be nice too.
Elsjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #1244
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The Monterra may be slightly more Route capable in that it allows you to edit saved/transferred Routes and add multiple via points to a route.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-31-2014, 09:36 PM   #1245
Elsjo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks
Elsjo is offline   Reply With Quote