ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
streaks77 OP
Adventurer
 
streaks77's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway
Oddometer: 38
New to Norway

Just moved to Oslo, Norway and looking for some local trails to ride as well as any must-ride locales in the country. Planning on doing the bulk if riding in July, but will be here a little over a year. Any insider tips are greatly appreciated!
As for me, riding a 13 CRF250L with the 305cc big bore kit. Fairly new to the dual sport scene, but have been riding asphalt for the past 16 years.
streaks77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
puuh_racing
Gravel!
 
puuh_racing's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Sweden / Lomma
Oddometer: 10
Can you read Norwegian? If look for OTC, Off-road touring club. They are both on Facebook and a forum.
They will have a little bigger event later this summer.

Gravel in Norway can be a little bit tricky because it's many private roads.

If you have little more time or a weekend Vämland in Sweden i great.
puuh_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
streaks77 OP
Adventurer
 
streaks77's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway
Oddometer: 38
Thumb

Thanks for the info! I can read norwegian so I'll have to give otc a try... Who knows, maybe I'll find myself in Sweden this summer too
streaks77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Norway in a nutshell, AKA stord island
Oddometer: 117
give me a shout if you are planning on coming to vestlandet, i live on stord
__________________
this is how we use the greatest minds in science, not a cure for cancer but a profit for giants, they blind the clients with advertisements as security heightens that 'aint progress it's violence
joined the darkside, got a GS
scubabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #5
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaks77 View Post
Just moved to Oslo, Norway and looking for some local trails to ride as well as any must-ride locales in the country. Planning on doing the bulk if riding in July, but will be here a little over a year. Any insider tips are greatly appreciated!
As for me, riding a 13 CRF250L with the 305cc big bore kit. Fairly new to the dual sport scene, but have been riding asphalt for the past 16 years.
Keep in mind that it is illegal to ride outside of "roads" (meaning single track and logging tracks) in Norway. NOK 15 000,- fine if caught.

But there are lots of gravel roads. Like puuh_racing says, many are private and gated (often just a chain), but many are toll roads. Pay anything from 0-30 for a bike. Alot are also public roads and are usually clearly marked on maps.

The annual OTC gathering "Bukkerittet" is usually a good place to meet like-minded people, though most bikes are 600cc and up.
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:53 AM   #6
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Norway in a nutshell, AKA stord island
Oddometer: 117
i didnt know about the whole fine thing for riding on grusveg, i have only lived here a couple of years, there doesnt seem to be so many police where i live
__________________
this is how we use the greatest minds in science, not a cure for cancer but a profit for giants, they blind the clients with advertisements as security heightens that 'aint progress it's violence
joined the darkside, got a GS
scubabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:47 AM   #7
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,994
"Grusveg" or gravel road is ok, you won't get fined as long as it's considered a road, paved or not doesn't make a difference, but the depth of the tracks in the mud can. If you can't drive a normal family car there it's considered off road, but it's up to the cop on site to decide.
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #8
donmoto
Adventurer
 
donmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaks77 View Post
Just moved to Oslo, Norway and looking for some local trails to ride as well as any must-ride locales in the country. Planning on doing the bulk if riding in July, but will be here a little over a year. Any insider tips are greatly appreciated!
As for me, riding a 13 CRF250L with the 305cc big bore kit. Fairly new to the dual sport scene, but have been riding asphalt for the past 16 years.
Hey streaks, how are you liking Oslo? Looks like I'll be moving there for 3-4 months pretty soon myself!
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:13 AM   #9
maden
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Norway
Oddometer: 71
Do not get scared by the comments here...

Most roads that is not closed by a gate is ok for riding. Most forrest/logging roads is also ok for riding. A good deal of the mountain roads are toll roads, so you might have to pay to ride. However it is often free for motorcycles.

Then there is the grey areas... You would have to be extremely unlucky to get fined for riding on private or closed roads. The worst i have ever experienced is a warning from a private land owner.

This is not like the USA where people will shoot you for tresspassing...
And seeing a cop outside the paved roads is about as normal as yeti sightings.

I would stay away from single track. Hobby trekers do not like anything with an engine. They will call the cops...

My experience...
__________________
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
maden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #10
donmoto
Adventurer
 
donmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by maden View Post
And seeing a cop outside the paved roads is about as normal as yeti sightings.
So I have to be worried about more creatures than just trolls?
That doesn't sound so bad though, especially considering the miserable trail situation around LA. I'm more immediately concerned about finding work; no work equals no riding for me. But that's something I'm fairly sure I'll have to just figure out when I get there.
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #11
maden
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Norway
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmoto View Post
So I have to be worried about more creatures than just trolls?
That doesn't sound so bad though, especially considering the miserable trail situation around LA. I'm more immediately concerned about finding work; no work equals no riding for me. But that's something I'm fairly sure I'll have to just figure out when I get there.
There is also the norwegian snow snake

Are you planning on moving to Norway permanently, or are you only looking for a part time job to fund a few months of motorcycle traveling?
Tell me about your qualifications. I might be able to point you in the right direction.
__________________
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
maden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #12
donmoto
Adventurer
 
donmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by maden View Post
There is also the norwegian snow snake

Are you planning on moving to Norway permanently, or are you only looking for a part time job to fund a few months of motorcycle traveling?
Tell me about your qualifications. I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Bahaha still doesn't sound remotely as terrifying as the actual things that live in Australia.

Nah, it's just temporary, about 3-4 months, depending on how it goes. However, if I really like it, after my next round of school I may decide to try and work something out there.
I have a bachelor's degree in Narrative Studies from a good university in LA. I wrote my thesis on the significance of motorcycles in the Navajo Nation (native-american tribe), after doing field work there. I took electives in photography while doing my degree, so I'm not half bad at that. My mechanical skills are pretty good, but not enough to tear down an engine by myself. I'll start law school in the fall. I started learning Norwegian in September, so even though I'm putting in the time and will probably be able to get around on my own, whatever I learn until March isn't going to be enough to do serious business with. I realize that temporary work plus a lack of professional Norwegian is a bit of a shot to the foot.

I met my girlfriend from Oslo while studying abroad last year in Australia, and I sold my bike back there because it wasn't worth it to ship it to the states. So I'm looking to work and spend some time over in Oslo before it's back to school. I currently work in jewelry (family business) and legal research. I understand things will be expensive while getting settled before I find work, if I manage at all, so if there's any riding to be had, it's all extra fun. I'm not expecting to have my cake and eat it too. But hey, it's a chance I'm willing to take. Sounds too fun to pass up
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
maden
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Norway
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmoto View Post
Bahaha still doesn't sound remotely as terrifying as the actual things that live in Australia.

Nah, it's just temporary, about 3-4 months, depending on how it goes. However, if I really like it, after my next round of school I may decide to try and work something out there.
I have a bachelor's degree in Narrative Studies from a good university in LA. I wrote my thesis on the significance of motorcycles in the Navajo Nation (native-american tribe), after doing field work there. I took electives in photography while doing my degree, so I'm not half bad at that. My mechanical skills are pretty good, but not enough to tear down an engine by myself. I'll start law school in the fall. I started learning Norwegian in September, so even though I'm putting in the time and will probably be able to get around on my own, whatever I learn until March isn't going to be enough to do serious business with. I realize that temporary work plus a lack of professional Norwegian is a bit of a shot to the foot.

I met my girlfriend from Oslo while studying abroad last year in Australia, and I sold my bike back there because it wasn't worth it to ship it to the states. So I'm looking to work and spend some time over in Oslo before it's back to school. I currently work in jewelry (family business) and legal research. I understand things will be expensive while getting settled before I find work, if I manage at all, so if there's any riding to be had, it's all extra fun. I'm not expecting to have my cake and eat it too. But hey, it's a chance I'm willing to take. Sounds too fun to pass up

I think the biggest challenge is that USA is not a part of the EU/EEA/Shengen… This means that you have to have a work visa if you plan on working in Norway. To get a work visa I think you need to have a job ready when you apply.

There are many possibilities for short term jobs. Specially in the tourist seasons (summer/winter)… I think you will have a hard time finding something that match your education though.

Is your plan to buy a bike in Norway? If so remember that the prices are a little different than in the states, or anywhere else on this planet for that matter...
__________________
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
maden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #14
donmoto
Adventurer
 
donmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by maden View Post
I think the biggest challenge is that USA is not a part of the EU/EEA/Shengen… This means that you have to have a work visa if you plan on working in Norway. To get a work visa I think you need to have a job ready when you apply.

There are many possibilities for short term jobs. Specially in the tourist seasons (summer/winter)… I think you will have a hard time finding something that match your education though.

Is your plan to buy a bike in Norway? If so remember that the prices are a little different than in the states, or anywhere else on this planet for that matter...
Is there actually a decent amount of short term jobs, before the tourist season in March? Most of what I've been reading is that they're pretty scarce. I don't expect it to be related to my education level. Beggars can't be choosers!
Chances are, I won't be able to afford a bike unless the kroner devaluates even more. I think my girlfriend's boss has a bike I can borrow if I do the clutch on it though.
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
maden
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Norway
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmoto View Post
Is there actually a decent amount of short term jobs, before the tourist season in March? Most of what I've been reading is that they're pretty scarce. I don't expect it to be related to my education level. Beggars can't be choosers!
Chances are, I won't be able to afford a bike unless the kroner devaluates even more. I think my girlfriend's boss has a bike I can borrow if I do the clutch on it though.

Outside the tourist season it is a little bit harder to find a job, but still possibilities… Gas stations, stores, farms, etc… In the tourist season they always look for people with good language skills for museums, hotels, resorts, well anything touristy.

You need some sort of personal transportation in Norway. Might as well be a bike :) Work a lot before you go, save up some cash, and buy a cheap bike… As long as you just plan on spending the summer here you don´t need a car.

Where in the country will you be staying?
__________________
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
maden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015