User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Atabala OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Riding from Poland to Norway! Tips?

Next week, I start my trip from Poland to Norway. My route is through Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, and Sweden. Any tips?

Atabala screwed with this post 06-01-2014 at 01:58 PM
Atabala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,857
Bring a lot of money for Norway.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
PowerSlide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atabala View Post
Next week, I start my trip from Poland to Norway. My route is through Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, and Sweden. Any tips?
Have a look here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975543

Gar
PowerSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atabala View Post
Yeah, bring lots of money a bottle of coke is about 30kroner.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
Atabala OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSlide View Post
Thanks Gar, quite useful info!
Atabala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #6
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Spend as much time as you can in Western Norway (and North if you've got the time), there you have the best fjords and most spectacular views and roads.

I especially like Lysefjorden (starting in Stavanger), the road from Lysebotn and South linking in with Suleskarvegen is fantastic. So is the road from Songesand half way out the Lysefjord with ferry. If you don't mind a bit of excersise, walk up to Prekestolen (pulpit Rock), you won't regret it. And Kjeragbolten (Google is Your friend).

Another spectacular road is the North sea road between Egersund and Flekkefjord. It's mountains roller coaster and sea at the same time.

But many other roads and Places, see here http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

It is expensive in Norway, especially alchohol, cigaretts, cars/motorcycles and traffic fines. The good news is that in remote areas there is like one cop covering the size of Canada. Take it easy in 60kph zones and main roads and normally it's no problem (just remember our main roads isn't neccessarily 4 lane motorways, I got a 500 euro fine last year on a mountain road before Geiranger).
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #7
guyfawkes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
Spend as much time as you can in Western Norway (and North if you've got the time), there you have the best fjords and most spectacular views and roads.
pfft...forget the west...and south for that matter...especially during summer season ... you will spend more time stuck behind RVs than anything else...

lappland, nordland and finnmark is where the real beauty lies.
guyfawkes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 124
Northcape ride
Finland beware of reindeer and speedtraps. Strictly adhere to the speedlimit. Fines are extreme once over 20 km/hr to fast.
Norway beware of reindeer and speeding is also excessively expensive. 20 km over is €800.- It rains a lot and wooden bridges get slippery.
When on a Ferry secure your bike. Even if the crew deems it is not necessary. I saw bikes fall over!
Gas is expensive €2/liter and a beer or a glass of wine is €10.-
Riding in Norway is beautiful! The Lofoten are very nice. But it is a large country from North to South.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:46 AM   #9
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Strange...lived 45 years in Norway so should have a billion fines considering I ALWAYS speed As I said, stay away from main roads (those are for transport anyway, the fun roads are side roads) and take it easy in 60 zones. And on twisty roads, you don't need to go that fast to have fun anyway.

Northern Norway is beautiful but very, very far if going up to Nordkapp and back down. And many straight roads, more entertaining in Western Norway.

Stuck behind traffic? With car, maybe. With motorcycle, no

On the other hand, if your plan is to stay on main roads (like E6), THEN I agree regarding traffic and fines...

Oh, and driving under influence of alcohol is very stict in Norway, in reality it's a zero limit (same in Sweden) and around cities police sometimes have checks testing all drivers passing. Get caught and fines are astronomic, you loose your license for 2 years and may have to go to jail for 3 weeks
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote