Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
CheesyRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
TomTom IPhone GPS app with "winding roads"

According to the interwebs, TomTom's navigation app for Iphone/Ipad has a winding roads feature similar to the one found on the TomTom Rider V5. For some reason TomTom's own website doesn't seem to mention it.

Apparently it only comes with the winding roads feature on the app for IPhones/IPads. The android verson doesn't have it.

Has anyone here with an IPhone tried it?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
morgantm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
It sure does, first time I have noticed that!

morgantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Rudderfeet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I've been playing around with the Winding Roads feature and it's... Not Bad!

It'll certainly introduce new routes to you - it did to me when plotting a course from Westerville Ohio to Athens Ohio. I would have normally tracked east to Zanesville before taking 13 and 78, but it suggested an alternative down 22 and 56 which I've never been on.

You can try the app out for free if you aren't already a subscriber.

I can't say it's my end-all-be-all solution yet though - I'm wracking my brain with the options - all of which have drawbacks.
Rudderfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,756
Just installed this on my iPhone. Looks great. Can't wait to try it on the road. Might save a lot of time making routes sitting at PC.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
zokn
...In a Hand Basket

Getting loud enough voice output from Tomtom app

I have been using the Tomtom app on my iPhone on the bike and iPad in the car for a few years. It is my favourite gps navigator. I like the screen detail and the information (speed, ETA, time to arrival, distance to arrival, etc.) that it offers, too. I also find it easy to see -- I have my iPhone in an Otterbox case on a RAM mount at about mirror height -- except in the brightest of light with the sun directly over my shoulder, which is rare.

There are occasional errors, but not as many as I got with Garmin gps, Google Maps app, or Apple Maps app. But there is one big problem for me: I can't hear the voice directions when I'm on the bike. Here's why.

I do not have a bluetooth helmet system, but I am considering it. (I am also considering a Tomtom Rider. More on that later.) I have an old Baehr wired intercom system. My wife and I prefer it to the Scala Rider 2 we bought, tried, and abandoned years ago. However, the output of the iPhone Tomtom app is too low in volume to be heard in the Baehr system. I have tried it wired from the earphone output of the iPhone and using a bluetooth receiver feeding the Baehr, but nothing I do or adjust makes it loud enough. There is no difficulty with music or telephony from the iPhone, just the Tomtom directions, and I have adjusted all the available volume options and controls.

I am wondering if anyone is using the Tomtom app on an iPhone (mine is a 4s) and is getting enough volume in their helmet. If so, what brand systems and models are you using and which iPhone are you using?

I am considering either replacing my Baehr with a bluetooth system, assuming that I can get sufficient volume from the Tomtom iPhone app in my helmet with a new system. I shall await ADV inmate's responses on that.

A second alternative is to buy the new Tomtom Rider and use a bluetooth receiver to connect to the Baehr, but that may have the same low volume problem, and I doubt I'll find anyone who has tried this combination.

That leaves number three option: a new bluetooth system and a new Tomtom Rider.

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
zokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokn View Post
I have been using the Tomtom app on my iPhone on the bike and iPad in the car for a few years. It is my favourite gps navigator. I like the screen detail and the information (speed, ETA, time to arrival, distance to arrival, etc.) that it offers, too. I also find it easy to see -- I have my iPhone in an Otterbox case on a RAM mount at about mirror height -- except in the brightest of light with the sun directly over my shoulder, which is rare.

There are occasional errors, but not as many as I got with Garmin gps, Google Maps app, or Apple Maps app. But there is one big problem for me: I can't hear the voice directions when I'm on the bike. Here's why.

I do not have a bluetooth helmet system, but I am considering it. (I am also considering a Tomtom Rider. More on that later.) I have an old Baehr wired intercom system. My wife and I prefer it to the Scala Rider 2 we bought, tried, and abandoned years ago. However, the output of the iPhone Tomtom app is too low in volume to be heard in the Baehr system. I have tried it wired from the earphone output of the iPhone and using a bluetooth receiver feeding the Baehr, but nothing I do or adjust makes it loud enough. There is no difficulty with music or telephony from the iPhone, just the Tomtom directions, and I have adjusted all the available volume options and controls.

I am wondering if anyone is using the Tomtom app on an iPhone (mine is a 4s) and is getting enough volume in their helmet. If so, what brand systems and models are you using and which iPhone are you using?

I am considering either replacing my Baehr with a bluetooth system, assuming that I can get sufficient volume from the Tomtom iPhone app in my helmet with a new system. I shall await ADV inmate's responses on that.

A second alternative is to buy the new Tomtom Rider and use a bluetooth receiver to connect to the Baehr, but that may have the same low volume problem, and I doubt I'll find anyone who has tried this combination.

That leaves number three option: a new bluetooth system and a new Tomtom Rider.
I use TomTom iPhone and bluetooth and have no volume problem. I use Sena 10 with helmet speakers. I love it too. Winding roads with it's three options is great.

I also am able to check out routes in iPad mini, much bigger screen, and transfer to phone through drop box. They sync. Theres another thread here with detail.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
zokn
...In a Hand Basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
I use TomTom iPhone...
...I also am able to check out routes in iPad mini, much bigger screen, and transfer to phone through drop box. They sync. Theres another thread here with detail.
I've looked, but can't find a thread dealing with this. If you can provide a link or suggestion, (or instructions) I'd be most grateful.

(I tried to get a route out of the Tomtom app on my iPad, but there was no "send to dropbox" option. In the Share menu selection I could email it to myself, so I tried that. On the iPhone I was able to open either my departure location or final destination location in the Tomtom app, but not the route.)

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
zokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokn View Post
I've looked, but can't find a thread dealing with this. If you can provide a link or suggestion, (or instructions) I'd be most grateful.

(I tried to get a route out of the Tomtom app on my iPad, but there was no "send to dropbox" option. In the Share menu selection I could email it to myself, so I tried that. On the iPhone I was able to open either my departure location or final destination location in the Tomtom app, but not the route.)
I am sorry, i got confused between TomTom and Sygic. You can't sync routes with Tom Tom. You can with Sygic through DropBox. So sorry for the bad info. I use both apps. TomTom sometimes if I like the winding roads route.

After reviewing the winding roads route on the iPad I just setup the iPhone with the same criteria and let it route. There's really no need to transfer the route since TomTom determined it anyway.

If I want to layout the route myself I use Sygic. It syncs between iPad and iPhone. Drag and drop route design on iPad. I think it was $40. Again, sorry for the bad info. I get confused.