Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 AM   #31
slashtommy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
If you live in the EU and have insurance from an EU based company, you are covered for *ALL* European Union countries. This is for 3rd party cover but all insurance companies should extend this to fully comprehensive when asked.

However Bosnia and Montenegro (as well as Kosovo, Serbia, Macedonia and Albania) are not in the EU.

You are correct, that the insurance purchased at the border is for 3rd party only. This prevents you getting arrested/fined by police or border guards when you try to leave the country.

Sleeping with the bike in your room is quite frankly ridiculous. The Balkans is not the 3rd world, many of the countries are wealthier than recent EU members. Most hotels, hostels and guest houses will be very accommodating as regards security. Many will have locked compounds/courtyards, underground parking or other secure parking nearby.

Many insurance companies will provide a green card for some countries in the Balkans, so you will not need to purchase insurance at the border. You should check with your insurance company, but this will usually mean that they will extend your fully comprehensive cover to those countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michnus View Post
Well it depends if you are from EU. Maybe your insurer at home will cover some EU countries. But as a rule, no insurer will touch a bike or car or moving anything for insurance when doing long distance far away trips. In South Africa our insurance will cover till Malawi for example but not countries above that. Risk is your own.

We met two Pommies in Spain and one guy trashed his bike. His UK insurer covered him for that. Do not think UK insurance will go as far as Balkans and such.

Sleep with bike in room ;)
Also why it is never a good idea doing such trips or round the world trips with new expensive bikes.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #32
ebel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashtommy View Post
Sleeping with the bike in your room is quite frankly ridiculous. The Balkans is not the 3rd world, many of the countries are wealthier than recent EU members. Most hotels, hostels and guest houses will be very accommodating as regards security. Many will have locked compounds/courtyards, underground parking or other secure parking nearby.
To echo that (as the person who accompanied @slashtommy on that Balkan trip). Twice in Romania (and once in Bulgaria) we explained to the hotel that we needed parking and they found locked spot for us that would not normally be open to the public. We were down the side alley the staff used for smoking in Bulgaria once, and next to the owners dog kennels in Romania in their private part of the hotel another time.
ebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #33
slashtommy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebel View Post
To echo that (as the person who accompanied @slashtommy on that Balkan trip). Twice in Romania (and once in Bulgaria) we explained to the hotel that we needed parking and they found locked spot for us that would not normally be open to the public. We were down the side alley the staff used for smoking in Bulgaria once, and next to the owners dog kennels in Romania in their private part of the hotel another time.
In Kosovo*, we stayed in City Hostel, Prizren. They had no parking, the guy at the desk arranged parking in the locked compound of a car wash located 50 metres away.

In Bosnia we used the underground car park of a hotel, a gated car park and once parked right outside the hotel reception - in view of the desk.

*as of 2012 Kosovo is not in the Green Card scheme, so will not recognise any foreign insurance (with the possible exception of Albanian insurance)
Old 01-21-2014, 03:42 AM   #34
ebel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashtommy View Post
*as of 2012 Kosovo is not in the Green Card scheme, so will not recognise any foreign insurance (with the possible exception of Albanian insurance)
In a way, the fac that it's not in the green card system (and hence doesn't recognise any non-Kosovo insurance) can be helpful. It means you can be guaranteed to be able to buy insurance at the border.
ebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 AM   #35
Teabar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Thanks for these updates. I'll speak with my insurance companty and request that they extend my cover and see how far that gets me.
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #36
nprnic
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Going from Serbia to Bulgaria by car

I own a car in Serbia with Canadian licence plates and planning to go to
Bulgaria this summer. Car insurance I can have in Serbia is only valid within the counry. If I go to Montenegro or Macedonia I usually buy border crossing car insurance that is valid for e.g. 15days (last time in Montenegro it was 1euro per day). I wander if I can buy border crossing car insurance when i enter Bulgaria from Serbia and how much it is.
I appreciate any response to this question.
If you have links to some sites offering more information, it will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
nprnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:31 AM   #37
KalV
Adventurer

Green Cards acceptance on Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjackson View Post
Good point, Bulgaria removed.

Will keep posting peoples experiences and see if we can see any patterns.
You can remove Cratia as well. Croatia is full member of EU, but also in the past, Green Cards were accepted without any exceptions or limits.
KalV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #38
jetjackson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Updated to remove Croatia.

Other recent experiences noted and updated.

Cheers guys.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:13 AM   #39
Hayastani
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Can any UK based riders advise me of any insurer that will issue a Green Card at little or no cost. Carole Nash charged 45 for one months cover in Turkey. To travel through Bosnia they wanted 27 for seven days and I had to specify the days I would be entering and leaving the country. If arriving before, or leaving after those dates (but still not exceeding seven days) I would not have been covered. Many thanks.
Hayastani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #40
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayastani View Post
Can any UK based riders advise me of any insurer that will issue a Green Card at little or no cost. Carole Nash charged 45 for one months cover in Turkey. To travel through Bosnia they wanted 27 for seven days and I had to specify the days I would be entering and leaving the country. If arriving before, or leaving after those dates (but still not exceeding seven days) I would not have been covered. Many thanks.
My green card cover from footman James cost around 60, this was because I was on a 60 day trip and their normal limit is free cover for 30 days, my trip also covered my insurance renewed date so I had green cards from 2 different underwriters. All sorted quickly by FJ once I found the right person to talk to! You need to be specific that you were traveling outside eu zone. No silly limits for each country. Good service.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #41
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Iv just returned from the Balkans,all countries except Sebia.

Bike registration details needed for:

Bulgaria, Greece, Albania, Macedonia,Kosovo,Montenegro, Croatia,

Green card/insurance checked in Albania, Macedonia, Kosovo,(15 at the border for 10 days),Montenegro.

If you use the Hungarian motorways, buy a Vignette 4.5 for 5 days, they were pulling over all foreign registered vehicles at the end of the motorway near the border with Romania. No hassles with traffic police, much radar. Some great but awful roads
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #42
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
"Carole Nash charged 45 for one months cover in Turkey. To travel through Bosnia they wanted 27 for seven days and I had to specify the days I would be entering and leaving the country. If arriving before, or leaving after those dates (but still not exceeding seven days) I would not have been covered.

I know i am late in responding, but I just saw this post. Everytime I have gone into Turkey I bought insurance at the border. No hassle and much cheaper then what you mention.

KP
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:19 AM   #43
slashtommy
Adventurer

Insurance bought at the border is third party only. It's worth as much to you as the paper it is printed on.

Extending your own insurance (and getting a green card) for the destination countries will typically give you the same insurance cover that you have at home.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:18 AM   #44
beebeer54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
"Extending your own insurance (and getting a green card) for the destination countries will typically give you the same insurance cover that you have at home". I think you'll find that with most insurance companies they will not give you the same cover, particulary fully comprehensive. Ask them first, do not presume anything!
beebeer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #45
Rockwell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Thanks for this thread. It got me prepared for my first crossing into Montenegro today. Here are my details:

Date: Tuesday, July 8th, 2014
Crossing: from Croatia to Montenegro
Location: between Cruda, Croatia (Hwy. 8) and Sutorina, Montenegro (Hwy. 2)
Cost: 10 Euros
Notes: Thanks to this thread I knew the cost was 10 Euros (CA$14.54). The guy selling the insurance tried to bamboozle me. He knew I was coming from Croatia and likely had some Croatian Kuna on me, so he said it was 100 Kuna (CA$19.11). I only had 200 Kuna (CA$38.22), so, without thinking at first, I gave him that and he, in his very limited English, gave me 10 Euros in change, saying "Montenegro Euro". I took it then thought, that's not right. I know the exchange rates. This is now costing me too much (CA$38.22 - CA$14.54 = CA$23.68, for a difference of CA$9.14). After thinking about it, I said, "no...it's 10 Euro". He ignored me as he filled out the papers. I said it again "10 Euro. I have Euro." He ignored me. I started to open his desk drawer where he kept all his cash, and he quickly slammed it shut. Finally he took my 20 Euro and gave me a 10 Euro in change. Fucking guy.

Attempting to cross into Albania tomorrow morning. Hopefully this one goes a little more smoothly. I'll post details after I get across.