Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
SCflyer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Now we know (from RedHerring's Q&A with Motorex) not to mix the red stuff with the blue stuff, the only important question remaining ...

Does M3 coolant with OAT additives cause any KTM 1190 engine reliability issues? My guess ... probably not ... so long as it is not mixed with M5. It would be reassuring if someone in USA could ask Motorex to confirm, anyone?
This was from the Motorex USA site for the M3.0

"For use in engines recommending a silicate free anti-freeze. Ready to use radiator protection based on ethylene glycol. Excellent protection against frost, corrosion, lime scale deposits and overheating for all modern engines. Already mixed with water. Free of silicates, nitrates, amines and phosphates (OAT technology). Compatible with all standard commercial seals and radiator hoses. Cold protection down to -33deg C. Replaces coolant G30"
Old 06-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #17
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
This was from the Motorex USA site for the M3.0

"For use in engines recommending a silicate free anti-freeze. Ready to use radiator protection based on ethylene glycol. Excellent protection against frost, corrosion, lime scale deposits and overheating for all modern engines. Already mixed with water. Free of silicates, nitrates, amines and phosphates (OAT technology). Compatible with all standard commercial seals and radiator hoses. Cold protection down to -33deg C. Replaces coolant G30"
By comparison, they list M5 as:

Quote:
Free of nitrites, phosphates and amines, and based on ethylene glycol. Meets the strictest requirements of various manufacturers of modern high performance engines. Excellent protection against freezing. Year-round protection against corrosion for all metals and alloys. Already mixed with water (ready mixed). Excellent compatibility with standard commercial seals, hoses, elastomers and plastics. High chemical stability. Protection against overheating. Maximum service life of 3 years. Cold protection down to -33C. Recommended for use in KTMs. Replaces Coolant G48
So, M5 is for "modern high performance engines"; it provides "protection against corrosion for all metals and alloys": and is "recommended for use in KTM 'bikes. Whereas M3 is not ...
Old 06-02-2014, 04:30 AM   #18
irongrady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
2k miles on my 1190 R and I had to add coolant yesterday. Luckily I had some M5 in the shop. Hopefully the system is all burped now and the level will remain constant. I'll be keeping my eye on it.
irongrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Oddometer: 46
I had things apart and found that there was no coolant in the reservoir, save a little red in the nipple at the bottom. Opened the radiator and it looks like it was topped off with green or something. I went to the dealer that sold it to me and did the first service, and they sold me green... Maxima Coolanol. I have emailed Maxima about compatibility, since no one in town stocks Motorex coolant.
NewToMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
NoSpam
Banned

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToMe View Post
I had things apart and found that there was no coolant in the reservoir, save a little red in the nipple at the bottom. Opened the radiator and it looks like it was topped off with green or something. I went to the dealer that sold it to me and did the first service, and they sold me green... Maxima Coolanol. I have emailed Maxima about compatibility, since no one in town stocks Motorex coolant.
FWIW - my '14 R (from California) came from the dealer with a pink coolant mixture - it looks exactly the same color as a water/Water Wetter mixture from back in my GSX-R days.
NoSpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #21
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 387
This thread caught my eye, noticed over the weekend that I could not see the coolant in the reservoir. I have the red stuff as well. I will add the distilled water and eventually get the system flushed and refill with M5. The annoying list of things on this bike keep adding up.....

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #22
NoSpam
Banned

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpam View Post
FWIW - my '14 R (from California) came from the dealer with a pink coolant mixture - it looks exactly the same color as a water/Water Wetter mixture from back in my GSX-R days.
Wait a minute! KTM tells us to use the exorbitantly priced Motorex M5 coolant but they haven't used that in the bikes themselves! M5 (as I found out today) is a teal-blue color, not pink!
NoSpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #23
Szepy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I've never seen red/pink coolant liquid in any of bikes. The dealers always used (and sold) the blue M5.

Reading some threads it's quite weird how KTM branches behave in some countries. :)
1990 Honda Dominator - (sold)
Szepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #24
WickedKTM
Lost

Oddometer: 86
Pink here.
WickedKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:29 AM   #25
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Oddometer: 132
Coolant drain procedure

Does anyone know the coolant draining and filling procedure for the 1190ADV?
gunshot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #26
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Oh FFS!

Right then! Just to confuse things even further I spoke with KTM UK head office technical dept. Pink stuff or green stuff can be used no problem and accidentally mixing pink and green stuffs will not cause any issues so no need to worry. According to them pink stuff should be used by the dealer supplying the bike when it's new but they seem to be using green in the UK. Doesn't fill you with confidence when the dealers are ignoring KTM HQ!

Colour of the fluid makes no difference. It's just a dye that manufacturers add and this can be any colour they choose.

Some further reading here...

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech...antifreeze.pdf

gunshot72 screwed with this post 06-20-2014 at 06:25 AM
Old 06-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #27
Rockwell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I"m guessing that this info applies to the 990 as well?

I am currently in Andorra going around the moto shop here looking for coolant. One dealer said that they're all the same and you can mic anything. I said, "ok", but I tended not to take his advice too seriously.

I am currently using this stuff: http://www.linkint.com.au/motul_moto...tory_line.html

It contain monoethyleneglycol, using organic anti-corrosion. Not sure if this is the same as ethylene glycol?

About to do a coolant change, so I want to make sure that I get the right stuff.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #28
Redherring
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshot72 View Post
Right then! Just to confuse things even further I spoke with KTM UK head office technical dept. Pink stuff or green stuff can be used no problem and accidentally mixing pink and green stuffs will not cause any issues so no need to worry. According to them pink stuff should be used by the dealer supplying the bike when it's new but they seem to be using green in the UK. Doesn't fill you with confidence when the dealers are ignoring KTM HQ!

Colour of the fluid makes no difference. It's just a dye that manufacturers add and this can be any colour they choose.

Some further reading here...

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech...antifreeze.pdf
Not according to Motorex head office. They say M5 (blue) and M3 (red) should NOT be mixed, and M5 is recommended for the 1190 Adventure, but M3 is not recommended.
Redherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #29
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redherring View Post
Not according to Motorex head office. They say M5 (blue) and M3 (red) should NOT be mixed, and M5 is recommended for the 1190 Adventure, but M3 is not recommended.
Thanks for this info. Oddly my KTM dealer today told me that the 2013 1190's were supplied with green coolant and now the 2014 models are coming out of the factory with pink coolant. Marvellous eh?!

I asked about the bikes coming out of the factory dry but they said no, the 1190's have fluids already filled at production.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #30
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 387
I added the distilled water and now the level looks good however after a ride I thought it would mix. It looks clear with no color.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote