Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #16
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMac View Post
Has anyone put together a Sierra Loop Trail? (my searches on the web and this forum couldn't find any).

The basic outline would be:

(I'll throw out the south end of 49 around Oakhurst as an arbitrary starting point)

West: Stay east of highway 49 and get as much (skinny) dirt as possible as close to Wilderness Boundary as possible
North: Cross the Sierra as far north as is still dramatic (obviously subjective). Likely in the Plumas National Forest
East: Come down Eastern Sierra staying West of 395 and getting as close to various Wilderness boundaries as possible
South: Cross in a dramatic place north of 178
West Again: Stay as close to Wilderness Boundary as possible

There could obviously be a million variations, but I would be looking for the one with the most single track as possible (riding a KTM 500 EXC).

The Pacific Quest Crest looks like a good start for the western part. For the Eastern part, Countdown over at GPSXchange has some good looking stuff.

Any suggestions, ideas on how to fill in remaining gaps much appreciated!

Image below is a VERY VERY rough outline based on ambition more than knowledge of where the trail would actually go (that's why I am asking you guys, after all )

PS: in my search for all this info I came across the Friends of Jawbone and the CTUC maps. I'm sure everyone here knows about them, but for future newbies like me who stumble across this thread, they are awesome and surprisingly affordable ($3 a map and $1 shipping). Can't wait to put my Inyo North Map to work this spring - http://www.jawbone.org/foj/index.php...=19&Itemid=160

Seems like we need a "retracing" and updating of the SMTS route ! Im in to mapping it from Pine Flat near the Kings Canyon to Tuolumne, CA. You can ride from Jawbone to Kernville very easily over Jawbone canyon rd ...and there are quite a few ways down the east side including tracing the aqueduct..

and if anyone is doing this route please look me up as I may be able to offer up a place to stay or even ride through with ya !

subscribed
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Seems like we need a "retracing" and updating of the SMTS route ! Im in to mapping it from Pine Flat near the Kings Canyon to Tuolumne, CA.
Yes that dates way back to the first PCQ ride. I started working it but got stopped by snow & ice. I will work it with a friend from Kernville in a couple weeks then will from Kings river north with friend who lives in North Fork. Dop you want me to let you know when?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #18
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Sure! If I can make it I live in Oakhurst and may know some other routes than your friend. Damon Powell my buddy from tehachapi have discussed this. Let me know
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 05-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #19
jhill.catalyst
Ryder4LIFE

Oddometer: 13
Heading out Friday from Lake Isabella through Sierras hitting Seqouia and Yosemite national parks on a pair of KLRs. .

Catalyst

LIVE LIFE WITH NO REGRETS. JUST DO IT!
jhill.catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #20
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

if you guys went into Oakhurst on Rd 426 on loaded KLRS... I saw you two on Friday just around noon.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #21
jhill.catalyst
Ryder4LIFE

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
if you guys went into Oakhurst on Rd 426 on loaded KLRS... I saw you two on Friday just around noon.

Just passed through the scenic bypass (10, 7) and into Oakhurst on Sunday. Must have been some other adventure junkies. Made it through Yosemite today. What an epic place!

Catalyst

LIVE LIFE WITH NO REGRETS. JUST DO IT!
jhill.catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #22
ChrisMac OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I tried the section from Tahoe to Lee Vining on Saturday. Sadly I found that a couple key sections of the SMTP now have "No Motorized Vehicles" signs. On the attched track, you can se all the sections where I got turned around. The last 1/3 or so to Lee Vining I just went on pavement... will go back to find a dirt way through that. Will also look for a new way to link the Pinenuts into Walker that is more direct.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Tahoe to tacos attempt 1.gpx (828.4 KB, 29 views)
ChrisMac is offline   Reply With Quote