ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
mikeym OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Carroll County Virginia Traffic Attorney Referral?

Howdee -

While coming back from a wedding this past weekend in N.C. I got snagged for a ticket in Carroll County Virginia. Was on Highway 77 near Hillsville I believe. Close to I-81.

86/65 speed - I signed off that I received a ticket and wondered why the LEO informed me he would try help me out in court. I live 7 hours from where I got the ticket...

When I returned home I realized that anything over 20 mph or over 80 mph is considered reckless driving by speeding in VA and I must appear in person on my scheduled date. I also hear I'm facing a misdemeanor criminal charge for criminal speeding in VA!!?!

I can't afford to allow this ticket to impact my employment in PA (drive company vehicles).... I don't have a criminal background and don't want one.

Contacted my local attorney who told me unfortunately I better hire somebody local to Carroll County.

Anybody have a good referral for someone who can help me out who is good and also doesn't cost an arm/leg?

~mikeym
Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
PAFarkle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I feel your pain. Last summer my friends and I got stopped on Rt 33 heading west. We were not speeding, but we did pass a truck and cattle trailer who pulled out questionably in front of us on a double yellow. Almost seemed like a set up. But none the less, the PIG was a true PIG. Serious attitude and even told us he was disappointed we were not speeding. We were wrong, but we were not reckless. Passed in a safe manor one at a time. Anyways, expensive lesson learned. We got court dates and threat of a class 3 misdemeanor. Ended up hiring a lawyer down there recommended by my grandfather who lives in Harrisonburg. He as much as told us he would have a few beers with the Law Dog. We had to travel to visit the lawyer, but after that, he did take care of things. Got it reduced to improper passing. Lawyer and fines ended up costing about $1300. I could have wasted that cash much better on my own. And our court date....12-23-13, yeah, 2 days before Christmas. Not sure where Carrol county is, but find a good lawyer who specializes in traffic. Good luck!
'09 Ducati 1198--Sold
'07 Aprilia RSVR--Regrettably Sold--RIP
PAFarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
mikeym OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFarkle View Post
I feel your pain. Last summer my friends and I got stopped on Rt 33 heading west. We were not speeding, but we did pass a truck and cattle trailer who pulled out questionably in front of us on a double yellow. Almost seemed like a set up. But none the less, the PIG was a true PIG. Serious attitude and even told us he was disappointed we were not speeding. We were wrong, but we were not reckless. Passed in a safe manor one at a time. Anyways, expensive lesson learned. We got court dates and threat of a class 3 misdemeanor. Ended up hiring a lawyer down there recommended by my grandfather who lives in Harrisonburg. He as much as told us he would have a few beers with the Law Dog. We had to travel to visit the lawyer, but after that, he did take care of things. Got it reduced to improper passing. Lawyer and fines ended up costing about $1300. I could have wasted that cash much better on my own. And our court date....12-23-13, yeah, 2 days before Christmas. Not sure where Carrol county is, but find a good lawyer who specializes in traffic. Good luck!
Thanks for your story! I feel your pain that's for sure. If I don't hear any referrals here I'll be giving some folks a call that I found online - hoping someone has had the same experiance in Carroll County or works with an attorney there.

Harrisonburg is 2 hours at least from where Hillsville is.

~mikeym
Old 06-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
MinglewoodNC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hi Mikeym,
I got a 86 in a 65 on 77 a few years ago in Carrol Co, just where you start
to level out on top of the mountain. OOPS! Had he gotten me a mile or 2 earlier as I was on my way up the mountain I might still be in jail. BMW K1200S 167 HP dont 'cha know.......
I don't recall the Galax Va lawyer I used but he got it reduced to improper equipment. Lawyer, fine and court costs totaled out about $500 if I remember right. I'll find out the Lawyer's info in the next few days and post it. DO use a lawyer though, 15 over is considered reckless driving and if they want to make an example of you they can and will #*$K you over.
Being I'm an NC licensed rider the conviction never made it to my NC insurance co. Hope you're as lucky too.
Safe Travels,
Bill
MinglewoodNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
mikeym OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinglewoodNC View Post
Hi Mikeym,
I got a 86 in a 65 on 77 a few years ago in Carrol Co, just where you start
to level out on top of the mountain. OOPS! Had he gotten me a mile or 2 earlier as I was on my way up the mountain I might still be in jail. BMW K1200S 167 HP dont 'cha know.......
I don't recall the Galax Va lawyer I used but he got it reduced to improper equipment. Lawyer, fine and court costs totaled out about $500 if I remember right. I'll find out the Lawyer's info in the next few days and post it. DO use a lawyer though, 15 over is considered reckless driving and if they want to make an example of you they can and will #*$K you over.
Being I'm an NC licensed rider the conviction never made it to my NC insurance co. Hope you're as lucky too.
Safe Travels,
Bill
Bill,
If you find that information that would be great! I'd really appreciate it.
Mike