ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #106
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,862
cant see the pics?

I can't see any of Brents347's pictures..... dunno why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Oh my god. I think I figured this out.

I ordered a Braking brand 320mm disc adaptor from Amazon (link below). i was going to modify it like I did on my last 950 to make the post spacing correct and guess what? It fit!

Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/Braking-320mm-...=braking+pow94

Now it is taking a little bit of work, so let me tell you what I did.

The stock SE or ADV caliper bracket has a small approx. 5 mm post screwd into it for the lower caliper sliding mount. When you buy any new caliper bracket, they don't come with this post so you have to take the post off of your stock caliper bracket and screw it into the new bracket. In this case, the new Braking bracket came with a larger approx. 10mm post screwed into it. So, I removed the larger post and screwed in my stock smaller post. perfect fit.

Next, the stock caliper has the 5mm upper locating post screwed into it (so in other words there are 2 posts, one stays in the caliper and one stays in the bracket), but the upper locating hole in the new caliper bracket is about 10mm. Hmm, what did I do with that 10mm post I just took out... there it is! Screw it into the stock caliper, and perfect fit into the new bracket. The new upper bracket hole has an o-ring inside of it for keeping dirt out, so getting the post to slide in the first time was hard, but I pushed it in by hand and have now removed and replaced the caliper on and off the bracket by hand 10 times or more. It slides perfectly.

Here is a picture of the caliper on the bracket, with the bracket mounted on the bike. This is a 300mm disc, but you can see in the pic that there is plenty of room to go up to the 320mm disc!
http://173.74.246.28/ktmtalk/photoga...bers/rotor.JPG
[IMG][/IMG]

Now then, that all sounds great, so what's the catch? Well, the stock 950 brake pads don't fit. There are a couple of reasons. First of all the stock barke pads are taller in the one side mount than the slot in the new caliper bracket. So I milled down the pad just as I used to do on my old 950. Here is a pic showing some old pads I was practicing on. One has been modified, one has not. I did it with a file in about 60 seconds. Shitty pic but you can see what I did.

http://173.74.246.28/ktmtalk/photoga...mbers/pads.JPG
[IMG][/IMG]

Next though, the stock pads are also too short, as seen in this picture, where they just barely bite in the caliper slot. This will not do. But I believe I have found a solution! The stock pad from a Honda ST1100 is longer! But a little too long.... the stock pad is 108.5mm long. The new set-up needs a pad about 112mm long. The ST1100 pad is 115mm long. So it will need to be filed 3mm shorter in length. I can do that. But the ST1100 pad also looks like it will NOT need to have the nubs filed off that I was doing on the stock 950 pad, so that is good. Everything else about the pad is the same. Height, thickness (the ST1100 pas is actually .1mm thinner, so shoot me) and arc of the pad is the same. I will be ordering some from my local shop tomorrow.

Also in this pic you can see the end of the stock 5mm post I screwed into the bracket (right side of the photo, right at the caliper mid-point) and you can see right into the end of the 10mm post and the 10mm upper sliding hole on the caliper bracket. You can also see the Braking part number POW94L stamped on the bracket.
http://173.74.246.28/ktmtalk/photoga.../short_pad.JPG
[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry, but my pictures I have hosted over at KTMtalk won't post, so here are the links. Hopefully you are members so you can view them and I'll keep trying.
But essentially, if you have a hand file, this is a bolt on job for the 950 and 990! That's good news, right?

EDIT- I have only done this on my 950 SE, but the stock brake pad and stock caliper bracket part numbers for the SE, 950 ADV and 990 ADV are all the same, so I am assuming it will work for all.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #107
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by MymoJoe View Post
I can't see any of Brents347's pictures..... dunno why?
Me too.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #108
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,989
Great thread! I just removed the right rotor and caliper from my Adventure, mostly because the rotor was warped to hell, and will persue this 320/caliper relocation/SE or 640 SM Master set-up as funds allow.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #109
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Observation #1: Front end feels lighter, suspension reacts better. Took me a 1/2 hour of riding to not notice to loss of braking power anymore. The lever effort is increased, but I can still howl the front TKC w/ two fingers, so waddya want? Less suspension dive under casual braking, too.

Observation#2: The front tire doesn't knife-and-tuck in the sand! Wa-Hoo!! That's a HUGE plus!!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 AM   #110
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
It has been mentioned by LukasM about the difference in 2-pot Brembo calipers (slider pin/hole spacing?). Is that about the difference between 30/32mm caliper and the smaller piston sized ones?

Or are there different styles of 30/32mm calipers?

In other words, would the caliper carrier off, for example, a 640 adventure be the same as off a 990??

Detailed BMW X-Challenge build thread.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
F-ing in Iceland and Faroe Islands, 2013.
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #111
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 688
Just completed removing the right caliper & rotor, installed an SE brake master. I was expecting to be disappointed in braking performance, until I could afford to put the 320mm rotor on.
But, I'm not.
I went with a set of EBC S-compound pads, and now the feel and stopping power is better than the 2-rotor setup.
Now, if you were going to do a track day with this setup, I'm sure you would overheat the brakes faster than before, but for normal street and off-road use, I'm very pleased.
I'm sure I'll find something else to spend the money on.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #112
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,862
disc bolts

I just realized the 320mm disc I bought has tapered holes for the bolts. What are you guys using for disc bolts to ensure the speedo works?????

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #113
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Got complete 690 SMC brakes, that is, 320 rotor, caliper and master cylinder.

Any adapter brackets available so I can mount the radial caliper to my 950SE?
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #114
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,243
Nope.
Buy the lugs from a SM and get the radial mounting points.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:08 AM   #115
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,016
I think there is an adapter available, could be wrong (usually am)
I bet lukasM would know.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #116
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
Nope.
Buy the lugs from a SM and get the radial mounting points.
Actually got SMC forks as well and believe they will fit on the SE so then it should all work out regarding brakes.

But then the geometry will be an issue with 21" as want to be able to swap between 21" and 17" without changing forks?

Picture below show one 690SMC fork and one 690ER fork showing difference (think maybe ER and SE forks are the same except maybe internals, look very similar).

So...will 21" and zero spindle offset SMC forks be a problem on the SE??? Still feel safer keeping the SE forks...

1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
Old 10-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #117
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
I think there is an adapter available, could be wrong (usually am)
I bet lukasM would know.
Any information would be appreciated if anyone knows more
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #118
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
Any information would be appreciated if anyone knows more
In my researching I have not come across anything that works.

The only thing I did find was a cross reference to the Braking POW94 adapter that has been talked about before. Moto-Master had a cross-reference to an adapter of their own. Thinking I had found the holy grail, I ordered one off Amazon and it looks like it is meant for the Moto-Master caliper and not the stock caliper. Back to the drawing board.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #119
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
Actually got SMC forks as well and believe they will fit on the SE so then it should all work out regarding brakes.

But then the geometry will be an issue with 21" as want to be able to swap between 21" and 17" without changing forks?

Picture below show one 690SMC fork and one 690ER fork showing difference (think maybe ER and SE forks are the same except maybe internals, look very similar).

So...will 21" and zero spindle offset SMC forks be a problem on the SE??? Still feel safer keeping the SE forks...

Yes, geometry will definitely be an issue. Bike no turn, plus wheel into radiator. You will need the SMC triples as well or your gonna have shit-loads of trail. Even then the geometry may be an issue.
I think you're killing the patient in an attempt to get a single radial mount caliper.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #120
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,243
mmm i stand corrected.
Sadly i just sold an SM radial setup lug.