User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #16
PowerSlide OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hey Simon,

Nice photos That's a very romantic little spot.

That's a fine tan you're working up too :)

The current plan is to be at Camping de Castellbo from the night of the 13th to the morning of the 18th, then off to Barcelona.

Not sure about the way back yet but I like the look of Moli de Fornols.

Might be a bit too much to one end of the trail though. Have to find some time to look at maps.

Gar
PowerSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:14 AM   #17
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSlide View Post
Hey Simon,

Nice photos That's a very romantic little spot.

That's a fine tan you're working up too :)
Yes, it's an amazing place right enough. The reason for the trip is a bit bitter/sweet: we lost Lucky, our beautiful husky, a month or so ago after a fantastic happy and long life - fourteen-and-a-half is really old for a husky! - so this was the first excursion of the summer revisiting special places both for her and ourselves. Each time we spread a thimbleful of her ashes . . . sob sob right now. This probably sounds a) morb¡d and b) dumb for non-dog owner/lovers, but I reckon the rest of us will understand - apar from anything else we have some amazing trips ahead of us :)

Quote:
The current plan is to be at Camping de Castellbo from the night of the 13th to the morning of the 18th, then off to Barcelona.

Might be a bit too much to one end of the trail though. Have to find some time to look at maps.

Gar
Hi Gar,

It woud make more sense for me to pop up to Castellbö during your stay there - that way neither of us are too pinned down for time. If our bikes, fitness, skills, etc. match maybe we could have a ride out too :)

Regs

Simon

The Spanish Biker screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 01:36 AM
The Spanish Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #18
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:

Gar
Hi Gar,

Just remembered your best maps will be the 1. 50 000 'Mapa Comarcal de Catalunya made by the famous Catalonia Cartographic Institute

Not sure about availability on the fair island of Ireland but you can get them direct from the ICC, or maybe cheaper from The Maps Man or certainly at Stanfords of London

Regs

Simon
Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #19
PowerSlide OP
Adventurer

Hey Simon,

They look good but I have Osmand on my phone which has excellent maps and I have the roadbooks. I think any more maps and I'll end up arguing with myself on the side of a hill

Really looking forward to this

Still some ferkeling to do with the bike.

Gar
Old 06-08-2014, 02:23 AM   #20
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:
Hey Simon,

They look good but I have Osmand on my phone which has excellent maps and I have the roadbooks. I think any more maps and I'll end up arguing with myself on the side of a hill

Really looking forward to this

Still some ferkeling to do with the bike.

Gar
Ha ha,

You're dead right Gar - look at the mess I got into on our walking tour last week when four heads were definitely not better than one!

Thant little wobble up the dead end valley under the cliffs cost us the trip - and some bumps, bruises and scratches! - so we had to walk the 'easy' way out to the refuge at the extreme east of the trail, where with extreme good luck the warden a) happened to be in - unusual on a Monday afternoon! - and b) was just about to drive down to the regional capital city and did a detour to drop us off at my car back at the beginning of the trail - saving is a €40 taxi ride - if we could have fund a taxi! You'll find that Spanish people are nice like that :)

I'll bring m ICC maps and we can compare notes and share a few trails.

I'm farkling too - trying to re-jjg my luggage for short ultra-lite trips, so meeting up with you will be great for me to test out my new set-up.

Also looking forward to the camping at Castellbó - it's so close to home I wold otherwise not go there!

Re: Fornols - there's no fuel whatsoever in the entire valley, your nearest would be at Sant Laurenç, Coll de Nargo, La Seu d'Urgel and Saldés. There's also precious little shopping either, just a bar in Tuixent that had a few bits and bobs. But in July the Fornols bar is open, it's seperate from the restaurant and ony half open out of July/August, but the bloke who runs the bar is really helpful and knoledgble about the trails there - at least if it's the same chap as last year

Cheers

Simon

The Spanish Biker screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 02:39 AM
The Spanish Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #21
PowerSlide OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanish Biker View Post
Ha ha,

You're dead right Gar - look at the mess I got into on our walking tour last week when four heads were definitely not better than one!

Hey Simon,

That looks like some serious hiking, and a proper epic detour, you'll be talking about that one for a while I accidentally did two river crossings with my now wife, while looking for a bnb, I think it was Casa Guilla, in the Pyrenees. She's still talking to me thankfully but we wound up an hour away from our actual destination on the wrong side of a mountin. Bad gps day

Cool!

I'm farkling too - trying to re-jjg my luggage for short ultra-lite trips, so meeting up with you will be great for me to test out my new set-up.

Have you looked at the Wolfman gear, pricey but really well made.

I have a 17 sprocket on at the moment, wondering whether to go down to a 16, I'm thinking 15w50 oil too.

Re: Fornols - there's no fuel whatsoever in the entire valley, your nearest would be at Sant Laurenç, Coll de Nargo, La Seu d'Urgel and Saldés. There's also precious little shopping either, just a bar in Tuixent that had a few bits and bobs. But in July the Fornols bar is open, it's seperate from the restaurant and ony half open out of July/August, but the bloke who runs the bar is really helpful and knoledgble about the trails there - at least if it's the same chap as last year

Maybe not the place to stay then, pity, looks like a nice site. I've been meaning to ask, my brother has had a notion of flying in and possibly hiring like a 125 dirt bike. We did it in Majorca before. Would you know of anywhere this might be possible?

Cheers,

Gar
Old 06-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #22
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:
[B]

That looks like some serious hiking, and a proper epic detour, you'll be talking about that one for a while I accidentally did two river crossings with my now wife, while looking for a bnb, I think it was Casa Guilla, in the Pyrenees. She's still talking to me thankfully but we wound up an hour away from our actual destination on the wrong side of a mountin. Bad gps day

Blimey, I know that place at Santa Engrácia, that's a really big sierra to be on the wrong side of my holiday cottage rental is further south on the same side - credit to your god lady wife!

Cool!

Have you looked at the Wolfman gear, pricey but really well made.

Yup, got Wolfman panniers :)

I have a 17 sprocket on at the moment, wondering whether to go down to a 16, I'm thinking 15w50 oil too.

Sorry, can't help you there - I'm a numbskull on the mechanical side . . .

Maybe not the place to stay then, pity, looks like a nice site. I've been meaning to ask, my brother has had a notion of flying in and possibly hiring like a 125 dirt bike. We did it in Majorca before. Would you know of anywhere this might be possible?

No, I've seen this same querie elsewhere here. Let me look again though. There's a member here who renyts a bigger bike but also runs tours with little bikes. Otherwise the camping at Isabena in Aragon might rent you something as they have a fleet for guided tours.
Regs

Simon
Old 06-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #23
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Hi Gar,

It's the dumbest ting but the answer to your brother's bike rental is probably in the most obvious place - Andorra!

It occurred to me yesterday as I was driving away and I've only just got back on-line.

Maybe we'd better both look for bike hires but the main deal is that there's a regular coach service from Barcelona airport to Andorra, where you could meet the bro' and get him to his bike.

If he/me/you can't find a bike there's sure to be quad hire, but in both cases it may be best to check you can take it out of Andorra.

Plus - make sure your travel insurance includes a) biking on trails and b) on the cc's of your bike. I've met blokes who found out too late that the small print set a limit on the latter - despite being so-called 'Action Adventure Policy' !

Cheers

Simon